• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo journey experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Isn't the base cushion on the Azuma seat slightly different to the base found on similar seats on the GWR/TPE units?

Agreed about how nice it is to be nonstop London to Newcastle, more chance to settle down and relax.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The lack of intermediate stops gives the LUMO service a real "express" feel that you can't get with LNER.
The 0930 from Edinburgh to London only stops at Berwick, Newcastle, Darlington & York, so I don't know if you're that much better off on Lumo's 0911 departure. But I do agree that stopping every half hour or so makes the journey feel longer and less pleasant.

I thought LNER hoped to introduce a new timetable from next month with quite frequent trains on the East Coast Main Line stopping at fewer stations. They presented supporting data however there was some backlash from certain areas and the service isn't changing after all. But there might be prospects for a more "express" feel to LNER journeys in future too.

Which is exactly why I originally booked a seat on the 0930! Berwick/Morpeth are not so busy but there can be a reasonable bit of movement of people at Darlington and especially at York. In the reverse direction things are less fun as those services often run up to Aberdeen and can get quite busy. I suppose LNER still have a role/remit to provide connections along the route whereas LUMO's model is simply to get passengers from London to Edinburgh/Newcastle and little else. At some point they'll have enough data to get a handle on where the majority of their sales lie and then, maybe, if justified, an Edinburgh-London non-stop could be possible.

BZ1044

Which is exactly why I originally booked a seat on the 0930! Berwick/Morpeth are not so busy but there can be a reasonable bit of movement of people at Darlington and especially at York. In the reverse direction things are less fun as those services often run up to Aberdeen and can get quite busy. I suppose LNER still have a role/remit to provide connections along the route whereas LUMO's model is simply to get passengers from London to Edinburgh/Newcastle and little else. At some point they'll have enough data to get a handle on where the majority of their sales lie and then, maybe, if justified, an Edinburgh-London non-stop could be possible.
I doubt a non stop KGX-EDB would be possible due to crews based in Newcastle. Perhaps a Newcastle only stop may be likely.

dan4291

I doubt a non stop KGX-EDB would be possible due to crews based in Newcastle. Perhaps a Newcastle only stop may be likely.
There is one northbound service that only stops at Newcastle (1023 departure from Kings Cross) however this Sunday (8th May) is the last time it is running before the May timetable change.

gabrielhj07

Just some thoughts on my first trip with Lumo, the 8th & 9th April.

I was quite surprised to see the 0545 KGX-EDB fully booked, I suppose the cheap fares are responsible for this as there was no evidence of the first LNER departure being anywhere near as full - King's Cross was deserted apart from the Lumo crowd.

The poor ride quality on the 80X units is well known, and the 803 was no different, however I found there to be a rather loud humming noise present over about 110mph emanating from the roof area, something which I've not experienced travelling on any of the 800/801/802 units. For reference my unit was 803002, about the centre of Coach B (second from the London End). I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced a similar thing.

IEP seats are notoriously terrible, so I was pleased to see that First had chosen something different. Having said that, I thought the seat base was rather too low to the floor, leading to discomfort in the knees after a few hours, as well as being slightly too short. The pitch was quite acceptable, even despite the seat back having no padding at all. The winged headrest is an excellent idea, especially for a little bit of privacy on a long journey. Another excellent feature is the presence of domestic electricity at the bottom of the seat in front. This is much easier to reach than the 80X standard of placing them forward facing between the seats, and being able to see them, one doesn't have to worry about getting the plug in the right way up. Seat alignment with the windows was not good at all, what few table seats there are are oftem mis-aligned with the windows, so at least two people are adjacant to a pillar. The vast majority of the seats are airline-style and little to no effort is made to align them with the windows. Certainly the seats at the carriage ends (the ones with no window at all) could do with being swapped out for luggage racks, which I found to be in short supply. Overall the seats were good, they're a little too low down and the seat back is very hard but they are quite suitable, especially given the price.

Sadly, we were delayed for 0059 while stationary at Morpeth, this was due to a disruptive passenger which can't be helped. This became 86L at Edinburgh, as we were held up by a slower TPE train that had got past us while stationary. Happily (for me), my connecting train north of Edinburgh was held up behind us with no opportunity to overtake since it left Newcastle behind us (It was the single daily LNER service from Leeds - Abderdeen). The lack of opportunity to overtake and the increased stops on the LNER train meant that I [just] made the connection at Edinburgh.

The journey back down from Edinburgh the next day went without note, although I do wish to mention that the boarding time at London seemed rather short. I know this is rather commonplace at King's Cross, to commence boarding between 10 and 15 minutes prior to departure, however this always seems too short a time to for everyone to comfortably board the train without people rushing to be first to the luggage racks (of which more could be put to good use, the overhead racks were full, coats hanging over, falling off as we go over St Neots south junction). Even on a five-carriage train things are hectic, boarding an LNER 9/10 coach train is positively nightmarish. Oddly enough, this was not the case at Edinburgh, where we boarded the train with quite a lot of time to spare, as a result, the platform was not such a teething swarm as at King's Cross.

This was my first time on Lumo's service, and overall I found their service to be very good. My train north was the service for which advance tickets are sold for £9.80, so any criticism has to be taken with this in mind, however the seats could do with being raised from the floor by an inch or so (highly impractical, I understand, but this would improve comfort in the leg as well as the view from the windows.), and the seat back could do with padding. Aside, this is exceptional value for money, I would highly recomment Lumo for anyone travelling on a budget.

PS. Peversely, the delay incurred by my Lumo train and by extension my LNER connection, meant that advance tickets on the LNER service north of Edinburgh became valid for any train, to compensate for the delay. Open return, Anytime and Off-Peak ticket holders weren't waiting, and thus, I boarded a near-empty train at Edinburgh (I would estimate 60 or so people forward of the restaurant car). What luck!

Last edited:

williamn

On the fairly lightly loaded 05.45 London- Edinburgh now. Still waiting (at 7.20) for the trolley to arrive. How on earth can it take so long to get through five coaches?!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Could there be a problem with the trolley or the card reader or something else? Maybe it's just super popular given so many people are paying next to nothing and may treat themselves (especially if there was a limited range of services at King's Cross at 0500-0545).

williamn

Arrived after two hours in the end. Everything seemed to be working. Was just starting to get caffeine withdrawal…

lain_wire7

With Lumo, has anyone tried to get an unreserved seat in Coach E lately? How did it go?

I just booked seats on Lumo's site from London to Edinburgh. Of course I find out the seats are windowless... both ways! Considering just canceling (within 24 hours) and going for the more expensive LNR, as at least I can pick the seats there. First time and probably only time in the UK, so I did want to have a view of the countryside. But if I can reasonably catch an unreserved seat on the Lumo the timing would work out better.

centro-323

Coach E is now generally not all unreserved. Instead, on 'fully booked' trains the unreserved seats are usually the ones at the far ends of the coaches with no window or view at all, where small luggage racks should probably be.

If you send a DM to the Twitter team, they can sometimes get your reserved seat moved for you though.

zero

Well, the lumo site still gave me an aisle seat when I chose a window, and the "seat map" is now even worse than before with no numbers at all. (I would use trainsplit seat selection but I still have vouchers from voluntarily cancelled lumo trips booked on launch day).

But I got lucky and the person who booked the window seat was a no-show.

Established Member
My last journey was on a tip up seat KGX-NCL as I was travelling with someone and the train was rammed.

Comfortable enough to be honest!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can confirm that a new, actually good seat map is on the way, and should be available on the website and to the social media team very soon.

Marking the window positions? No TOC seems to do this, yet it's the most important piece of information - there are few other reasons to want to select a specific seat as distinct from the choice of airline/table or proximity to the door/bog more generally.

Kite159

Veteran Member
One thing I noticed when pinging between Newcastle & Morpeth is some of the seat back tables seem to not want to stay upright.

centro-323

Marking the window positions? No TOC seems to do this, yet it's the most important piece of information - there are few other reasons to want to select a specific seat as distinct from the choice of airline/table or proximity to the door/bog more generally.

Yep, window positions included! I've seen the finished article so presumably should be in website soon.

centro-323

Meaning that either ticket acceptance was not put in place, bad form if so or or the train manager was ill-informed.

LNER are always asked if they will provide ticket acceptance, and very rarely do. I suppose with busy summer weekend trains, you can't blame them!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
LNER are always asked if they will provide ticket acceptance, and very rarely do. I suppose with busy summer weekend trains, you can't blame them!
I think they will look at the capacity they have on their trains and decide accordingly.

I took the 2027 Lumo service from London on Thursday night (16 June). Despite the fact tickets went on sale on 8 June when the timings were finalised it was pretty much fully reserved. 400 people is a lot to accommodate on an LNER train.

Interestingly, the 2030 Hull Trains service from Kings Cross to Hull was cancelled on Thursday night. You might have thought that the Lumo train should pick up the passengers with stop orders at Grantham, Retford and Doncaster, but the ticket acceptance was on the 2033 LNER service. I was due to catch the 1452 Grand Central service from Bradford to Kings Cross (boarding at Mirfield) on Friday which was also cancelled. Ticket acceptance was on LNER spread across different services, presumably based on capacity, noting that the 5-car 80x on the 1615 from Leeds was strictly not allowed.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
The other week I had a choice between LNER and Lumo. I chose Lumo.

Found myself in Newcastle at 9pm on a Friday evening. There was a 2115 LNER to London which stopped everywhere, with a leisurely pootle around the Hertford Loop to boot. And there was a 2133 Lumo service which only stopped at Stevenage and was booked to overtake the LNER service. 35 minutes quicker than LNER.

Lumo service was quiet, had no problem getting a table to myself and the seat was very comfortable. The train arrived on time and I was able to connect with a Thameslink service which would not have been possible using LNER.

The public rate single on Lumo was £14, a fraction of the cheapest available LNER ticket!

Status
Not open for further replies.