Luton Airport (am I missing something here)

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Cundy66, 16 Aug 2019.

1. Cundy66

Cundy66 Member

Yesterday I took my eldest son to Luton Airport from Bedford (friends and family railcard) I checked online for the price of same day return £10.95 for 1 ad 1 ch with railcard.

I prefer face to face customer service so decided to pay at the station and the cashier told me £13.45 I asked for explanation and gone through what I wanted and he told me railcards can’t be used to the airport so I had to buy return to Luton Airport Parkway with discount and purchase a separate ticket to the airport on the shuttle bus. I showed online and he said it was online only and TVMs wouldn’t do it, I went to a TVM and got the £10.95 fare.

According to his colleague they had rules put in place and the regulator for the fares say they aren’t allowed to sell through tickets with railcards.

What am I missing here? Or have they made something up completely?

Six years I’ve made this journey regularly and never paid any different fare at the windows to a TVM or online.

Thanks

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

The through fares are discountable and I have done this before. He may be getting confused with PlusBus, some of which aren't discountable.

4. Cundy66

Cundy66 Member

Apparently the shuttle bus is a separate company therefore can’t get discount.

It’s a fob story I am believing especially when the company is go ahead and they are part of Govia Thameslink.

5. Bletchleyite

This is false. The fares are discountable.

6. greatkingrat

greatkingrat Established Member

The Manual says:

Fares

For through fares see LUTON AIRPORT NLC 3667 in your TIS or the Fares Finder.
    Railcards, GroupSave and other discounts should only be applied to the rail journey to / from Luton Airport Parkway NLC 3645.
    Separate full priced tickets as per the prices below should be issued for the shuttle bus journey between Luton Airport Parkway NLC 3645 and Luton Airport NLC 3667.
    Where no through fare is shown to / from Luton Airport, a combination of tickets should be issued from the origin station to Luton Airport Parkway NLC 3645 and Luton Airport Parkway NLC3645 to Luton Airport NLC3667.

So technically he is correct that the through fare shouldn't be discounted. However this rule does not seem to have been implemented in the fares data so online sites / TVMs will sell the discounted ticket.

7. Bletchleyite

I stand corrected - however as you say all the Web based sales points will discount the through ticket, as will TVMs!

8. Indigo2

Indigo2 Established Member

That's really weird. There are non-standard discount records in the fares data that are normally used precisely for this purpose - to adjust a railcard-discounted through fare so that the discount is a bit less than 34%, i.e. accounting for no discount on the add-on portion of the fare (i.e. the bus in this case). I wonder why the non-standard discount rules are not being used here?

9. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

I wonder if it is the way that the ticket issuing system has been set up to deal with these fares?

10. hooverboy

hooverboy Member

lots of people get caught out with this ticket.

1)TVM's WILL supply tickets to luton airport( not to be confused with luton airport parkway)
    2) The tickets for luton airport cost £2.50 more than parkway.
    3)if you buy a luton airport parkway ticket it's not valid for through travel to the airport...you have to pay the remainder at the shuttle bus stop, or a seperate ticket from the train ticket office

11. RJ

RJ Established Member

This is a case of the TVMs and online systems selling something they shouldn't, but the tickets are accepted for travel.

Staff aren't always wrong.

12. RJ

RJ Established Member

The rules were changed on railcard discounts on through fares a few fare rounds ago - they were previously permitted. I'm sure the database will be fixed in due course but in the meantime, staff will follow what's in the IKB unless they aren't aware of it.