• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton disused lines question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asylumxl

Established Member
Hi there!

While browsing websi[te about derelict buildings I came across a thread regarding a piece of disused line in Luton (which I imagine has been removed for the busway). I'm not quite sure whether this was part of the line to Dunstable, the Midland Main Line or both(?), nor do I know whether it's something like a siding or spur.

Here is a photo from that thread:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg72/eels2007/luton spur/4.jpg

Can anyone tell me where signal WH461 was/is? I would have thought any section would have remained unused for a long time. I was quite surprised to see modern signage and signaling in this photo. I'm guessing this had something to do with it being easier to leave there when installing new signaling?

My other question is regarding this photo:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/luton_bute_street/luton(late1980s)bute_street15.jpg

When was this track finally removed? I can not remember it in my life time anyway so I am assuming it was soon after this photo was taken?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TukayAway

I'm sure someone will give a more complete answer but here goes. I believe the signal in question was for the connection on to the mainline, you used to be able to see it on passing trains with the signal lit for years.

That section of track was the first bit removed so that the car park could be extended, it could have been around the late nineties. The only thing left in the second photo is the wall by the loco.

asylumxl

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. It seems a bit strange to leave it there if the track was not used. That photo was from 2008.

When did West Hampstead take over running? Was this line still used at this time?

I know the wall in the second photo is still there, we park the other side of it regularly. I just don't remember the track still being there. Perhaps I never looked properly.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
They used to run a DMU down to Dunstable on carnival weekend, not done it for years now mind you (probably until the line shut in 1989).

The line behind the bus station was removed in 1992 according to this web page

The signal was somewhere here, just off the righthand side IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.