• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton double bus crash injures more than 30 passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-36570128
More than 30 people were injured when two buses crashed into each other in Luton.
Fifteen passengers were taken to hospital and 17 others treated at the scene after the collision on the Busway on Saturday afternoon.
East of England Ambulance Service said five patients were suspected to have serious injuries.
None of the injuries were life-threatening and others were "walking wounded", an ambulance spokesman said.....
Does anyone have any more information on this?

It remains to be seen whether the fact it was a busway is anything to do with it, but it does appear to me that there seems to be more incidents in relative terms involving guided buses compared to normal buses, but I don't suppose there are any statistics to prove or disprove that...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
It remains to be seen whether the fact it was a busway is anything to do with it, but it does appear to me that there seems to be more incidents in relative terms involving guided buses compared to normal buses, but I don't suppose there are any statistics to prove or disprove that...

I think it's probably because incidents involving guided buses seem to get more attention in the press than those involving buses on normal roads.

455driver

Veteran Member
On a normal road you can swerve, on a busway you cant so there is probably more chance of a crash if the driver loses concentration.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some of the comments about the busway are a bit concerning e.g.
Fiona Bowe Monagle said:
I travel on busway daily and seen an influx of new drivers, up until then I've never had any issues. Until about month ago when this new driver and when I say new I mean on my route couldn't guide the bus onto the rails the bus was approaching the guide rails too fast, when it hit the wheels it wobbled severely bouncing you thought it could flip, passengers demanded to get of as it didn't happen once but twice!

Status
Not open for further replies.