• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton refuse trucks between 1995/98.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
Hi guys,

I can’t find a appropriate place to ask this so hoping to try my luck here. I am after any info or photos of the fleet of refuse trucks used around the time stated for Luton borough council.

I have a vague recollection of the fleet being yellow, but I cannot find anything at all despite hours of searching,

can anyone help.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
Really thinking about it, sometime in the very late 90's they changed to white bin lorries iirc Daf's. Believe they still have white Daf's as the bin lorries of choice today.

Edit
Was they Seedon Atkinson lorries

Last edited:

Ladder23

Established Member
Really thinking about it, sometime in the very late 90's they changed to white bin lorries iirc Daf's. Believe they still have white Daf's as the bin lorries of choice today.

Edit
Was they Seedon Atkinson lorries
I’ll look! Thanks for your help I’m at a dead end with this

westcoaster

Established Member
Only other option is facebook groups of luton past.
I did find on picture of a LBC vehicle from 1995 that was a LDV van in white with the red council logo on it ( I found that on Flickr (( searched for luton bus 1995 and it was in amongst bus pictures)) might be worth trawling through those in a chance of one being in the background).

Ladder23

Established Member
Only other option is facebook groups of luton past.
I did find on picture of a LBC vehicle from 1995 that was a LDV van in white with the red council logo on it ( I found that on Flickr (( searched for luton bus 1995 and it was in amongst bus pictures)) might be worth trawling through those in a chance of one being in the background).
I did think that. Also thought to look for buses as the trucks should always be around so chances of one in the background as you say is likely! Cheers for the help

westcoaster

Established Member
Found a yellow council lorry https://www.flickr.com/photos/andysbusphotos/8997530437/ behind the bus

Search manchester street luton

Yellow daf coucil vehicle next to the town hall service area. Might be worth a more In depth look.

Again LBC seen to have a long history of DAF and LDV vehicles, which they still do to this day.

Last edited:

westcoaster

Established Member
LBC kingsway depot

2 photos dated 2005 show multiple seedon Atkinson bin lorries, a bit after the era you wanted

They are in blue which I do not remember.

Ladder23

Established Member
LBC kingsway depot

2 photos dated 2005 show multiple seedon Atkinson bin lorries, a bit after the era you wanted

They are in blue which I do not remember.
Great find! Funnily enough I have a photo with me and the yellow truck in the background from when I was young. I was mad on them as a kid, but the photo has been misplaced and I cannot locate it otherwise I’d share!

With all the transport photos on Flickr I am surprised to not find one yet! I’m sure someone out there recorded/ photographed the fleet

westcoaster

Established Member

A yellow council vehicle in this photo

Ladder23

Established Member

A yellow council vehicle in this photo
Thanks for carrying on for me! I still have no luck, will spend a hour or so now though!

Tom B

Established Member
Depending on how badly you need to know, you could either speak to the records department or put in a FoI, although whether information on dustcarts from 30 years ago is held on file (maybe) or easily accessible (unlikely) is debatable. But you never know, they might ring up old Bert who's been there for donkeys years and has all you want to know in a buff file in the basement.

Brooke

I worked in waste haulage years back (but know nothing about Luton specifically!). The clue here might be mention of them being square & that we talk mid-90s. That sounds like one of three cab designs: the steel cab version of a Dennis Delta, or it’s replacement the Dennis Elite, or maybe a Seddon Atkinson with their pre-Paccar cab. Here you can find links to images (not mine) of them. Was it one of these?

Dennis elite: https://topworldauto.com/cars/dennis/dennis-elite/photos.html

Dennis delta with steel cab: BBN274 1987 Dennis Delta Refuse Collector | Images of Maltese Buses and other forms of transport in the Maltese Islands:

Sed Atki 201 / 211 pré Paccar: CBJ023 1987 Seddon Atkinson 2-11 Refuse Collector | Images of Maltese Buses and other forms of transport in the Maltese Islands:

Ladder23

Established Member
I worked in waste haulage years back (but know nothing about Luton specifically!). The clue here might be mention of them being square & that we talk mid-90s. That sounds like one of three cab designs: the steel cab version of a Dennis Delta, or it’s replacement the Dennis Elite, or maybe a Seddon Atkinson with their pre-Paccar cab. Here you can find links to images (not mine) of them. Was it one of these?

Dennis delta with steel cab: BBN274 1987 Dennis Delta Refuse Collector | Images of Maltese Buses and other forms of transport in the Maltese Islands:

Sed Atki 201 / 211 pré Paccar: CBJ023 1987 Seddon Atkinson 2-11 Refuse Collector | Images of Maltese Buses and other forms of transport in the Maltese Islands:
Great response thanks!! Let me dive in and see

Ladder23

Established Member
Still in deep search, have found nothing from the 96-98 period. Can anyone recommend any sites I can look on

Ladder23

Established Member
And by deduction then, whatever they were, they weren’t one of the three types above? Will ponder...
As much as I hoped, I am in doubt to all three as I have strong believe they were DAF.

Brooke

As much as I hoped, I am in doubt to all three as I have strong believe they were DAF.
So if we know they were DAFs then it becomes a lot easier to identify i think.

Leaving aside their long haul trucks, DAF have only really had three basic designs (eg from a cab design point of view) through the last 20 or so years.

The DAF CF is the most likely. This has a very distinctive cab that is wider above the wheels. It used to be known as the 65/75, then became the CF, but it’s broadly the same vehicle. Here is one as a dustcart.

For very narrow streets and tight turns, you occasionally see the DAF LF being used as a small dustcart. This used to be the DAF 45/55 and here is one. It’s a development of the Leyland Roadrunner from the 1980s.

If we really go back to the early 90s there was also briefly a Leyland Daf 60/70/80 like this. These were like a larger version of the Roadrunner in style, but much less common the ones above.

So basically, if they were DAFs they were one of these three in some form or other...

Ladder23

Established Member
So if we know they were DAFs then it becomes a lot easier to identify i think.

Leaving aside their long haul trucks, DAF have only really had three basic designs (eg from a cab design point of view) through the last 20 or so years.

The DAF CF is the most likely. This has a very distinctive cab that is wider above the wheels. It used to be known as the 65/75, then became the CF, but it’s broadly the same vehicle. Here is one as a dustcart.

For very narrow streets and tight turns, you occasionally see the DAF LF being used as a small dustcart. This used to be the DAF 45/55 and here is one. It’s a development of the Leyland Roadrunner from the 1980s.

If we really go back to the early 90s there was also briefly a Leyland Daf 60/70/80 like this. These were like a larger version of the Roadrunner in style, but much less common the ones above.

So basically, if they were DAFs they were one of these three in some form or other...
That’s a great response thanks so much for narrowing this down for me. I will take a look at these now and see if I can get any info of the bodies used too

Ladder23

Established Member

Little late but I have finally found a photo of me as a young lad stood with one in the background, I can confirm in 1997, they were Yellow Dennis delta crew cabbed 6x4 24 tonne chassis with Phoenix (1) series rear loading units.

Brooke

Little late but I have finally found a photo of me as a young lad stood with one in the background, I can confirm in 1997, they were Yellow Dennis delta crew cabbed 6x4 24 tonne chassis with Phoenix (1) series rear loading units.
Excellent - pleased the mystery is solved for you!

Ladder23

Established Member
Excellent - pleased the mystery is solved for you!
Still haven’t found any photos, however apart from the lifting gear, the truck appears to be virtually the same as the photo attached.

not sure how long after 1997 the trucks were replaced as these ones were 87/88! So getting on a little even then.

Attachments

• 5CEAB912-C946-4470-AB63-702605B4979E.jpeg
    5CEAB912-C946-4470-AB63-702605B4979E.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.