• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton to Edinburgh journey advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

asylumxl

Established Member
A friend of mine wishes to travel from Luton/Luton Airport Parkway to Edinburgh in the near future and has asked me if I know of any cheaper way to do the journey if possible. After visiting a ticket office, they quoted them around £95 (two Advance single fares) for the journey.

I am thinking they may just be better off flying from Luton Airport to Edinburgh via Easyjet, both in convinience and price.

They will be leaving on Sunday 13th May and will be returning on Tuesday 15th May. Unfortunately they do not have any railcards nor would any be appicable to them.

I seem to remember there being tickets routed via Not London but am not at home and unable to check splits etc for myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Regrettably, having done a bit of digging, I would also have to recommend flying.

stut

Established Member
It may well be easier to fly, BUT...

easyJet don't do connections. They are a point-to-point airline. That means that, not only do you have to collect your luggage and check in and go through security again, subject to normal deadlines, it also means that they are under no obligation to reaccommodate you if the inbound flight is delayed and you miss your connection.

So if you go down this route, leave plenty time to connect, and understand what options are there in case of further delay.

stut

Established Member
Also... There is a good bus/coach service from Luton Airport direct to Stevenage station - takes a little over half an hour at the weekend. This may help for a rail connection.

A60K

easyJet don't do connections. They are a point-to-point airline. That means that, not only do you have to collect your luggage and check in and go through security again, subject to normal deadlines, it also means that they are under no obligation to reaccommodate you if the inbound flight is delayed and you miss your connection.

So if you go down this route, leave plenty time to connect, and understand what options are there in case of further delay.
But it would be a direct flight so connections don't come into it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also... There is a good bus/coach service from Luton Airport direct to Stevenage station - takes a little over half an hour at the weekend. This may help for a rail connection.
But if the bus/coach runs late or is cancelled then an Advance ticket from Stevenage becomes invalid.

telstarbox

Established Member

Sound advice but it sounds like the OP's destination is Edinburgh itself so wouldn't be a problem in this instance :)

Last edited:

stut

Established Member
Ah, I see. I skim-read and assumed the person travelling was arriving at LTN off another flight. Apologies for the confusion.

sonic2009

Established Member
You would have to also weigh up the extra charges involved with using Easyjet. I.e Luggage,Card Fees.

mullin

Was it not bundled into that stupidly excessive £9 charge with cc cards charging an extra £5 on top of that?

island

Veteran Member
Yes. Which annoyed me slightly, because I hold a Visa Electron card which was previously exempt from the fee. Only slightly, because I travel BA nowadays.

sonic2009

Established Member
If you wanted to fly from London Luton Airport to Edinburgh the cheapest flight option is :

London Luton dep 09:15 arr Edinburgh 10:30 13th May £29.99
Edinburgh dep 1955 arr London Luton 2110 15th May £25.99

+ £9.00 admin fee by Easyjet.

Total cost :

If you pay by Debit card : £64.98
If you pay by Credit card : £69.93

Status
Not open for further replies.