• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton to London.. Travelcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
You cannot buy a ticket from Luton to zones 1-4 because, on your way into or across London, you also travel through zones 5 and 6.

A London Zones 1-4 Travelcard is only valid in those zones, and so would not be valid between Luton and Mill Hill Broadway.

A London Zones 1-6 Travelcard by itself would not be valid between Elstree and Luton. The ticket you have bought is Luton to London Zones 1-6, which includes return travel from Luton to Elstree and then travel inside the zones.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
An outboundary (as Luton is outside the London zonal area) Travelcard must include all the zones travelled through (minimum two zones), so must include at least Zones 5 and 6, as these are the two outermost zones.

The one-day version is only available including all of Zones 1-6.

Section 5.9 of our Fares & Ticketing Guide has all the details you need on Travelcards.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I sense that there are savings that could be made on the obvious tickets.

For a start, an Anytime Day Return to Boundary Zone 6 (not available at most self-service machines) combined with a normal London Anytime Day Zones 1-6 inboundary travelcard comes out 50p cheaper than the outboundary Luton to London Zones 1-6 Day travelcard! (For prices without any railcard discount)

Last edited:

Orangejuices

This makes so much sense!

I'm only getting used to commuting and tickets etc, so thank you all for answering (what seems to be) a simple enough question!

I didn't even think about Luton being past the furthest zones, stupidly!

All your help has been much appreciated, so I'm going to get an Anytime Day Travelcard from Luton to London Zones 1-6 four times a week, which costs around £23.30 per day.

I have 30 weeks of university so I'm estimating to spend around £3,500 on travel, which is a little more than half of my university maintenance loan... I guess that's what the money is for in the first place!

Thank you all

Clip

Established Member
This makes so much sense!

I'm only getting used to commuting and tickets etc, so thank you all for answering (what seems to be) a simple enough question!

I didn't even think about Luton being past the furthest zones, stupidly!

All your help has been much appreciated, so I'm going to get an Anytime Day Travelcard from Luton to London Zones 1-6 four times a week, which costs around £23.30 per day.

I have 30 weeks of university so I'm estimating to spend around £3,500 on travel, which is a little more than half of my university maintenance loan... I guess that's what the money is for in the first place!

Thank you all

Orangejuices

Railcard fare.

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my last post that I've ordered a railcard so the price of my ticket will be according to that! (£23.30 peak and up to £14.00 off-peak)

Thanks once again!

Status
Not open for further replies.