• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luxury train travel from northern UK staitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor7

I am wanting to book a day trip on a luxury train, traction is not a priority, I would just like to find one that starts within striking distance of my home near Penrith.

All the ones I find start down south or up in Scotland. I have found a few that will include a Preston pick up, but they are really early pick up times and it would mean getting up really early to get there. As this is hopefully going to be a treat for a family, I do not really want to tell them they have to get up at 5am to travel to the nearest pick up point, and of course then have a long drive home perhaps later in the evening.

Carlisle would be the ideal starting or pick up location, but would consider Darlington or Newcastle if the times where not quite so early.

Any ideas would help, as mentioned it can be steam, diesel or electric traction, but must be on the main line not a preserved line.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Don't know if this is of help, but there is a Northern Belle day trip on 7th. May, Newcastle dep. 08:30 (22:30) Darlington 09:30 (21:30) to Chatsworth House and gardens, just guessing it runs to perhaps Chesterfield then with coach transfers, a bit pricey though at £340 a head?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am wanting to book a day trip on a luxury train, traction is not a priority, I would just like to find one that starts within striking distance of my home near Penrith.

All the ones I find start down south or up in Scotland. I have found a few that will include a Preston pick up, but they are really early pick up times and it would mean getting up really early to get there. As this is hopefully going to be a treat for a family, I do not really want to tell them they have to get up at 5am to travel to the nearest pick up point, and of course then have a long drive home perhaps later in the evening.

Carlisle would be the ideal starting or pick up location, but would consider Darlington or Newcastle if the times where not quite so early.

Any ideas would help, as mentioned it can be steam, diesel or electric traction, but must be on the main line not a preserved line.

Many thanks

what do we mean by luxury? The Northern Belle has been mentioned but is v expensive.

The problem with where you are is that many charters will run TO Carlisle rather than from. Plus with WCRC having issues the numbers of charters are down quite a bit.

For instance on 22nd April there is supposed to be a charter from Dumfries to Shrewsbury picking up at Penrith. It is WCRC run so might/will be cancelled.

Condor7

what do we mean by luxury? The Northern Belle has been mentioned but is v expensive.

Yes trains like the Northern Belle are what I was meaning as opposed to just normal charter trains.

This is a treat/surprise for someone and is where Pullman type carriages are used, where a meal is served by staff in uniforms etc.

I appreciate living where we/they do is a problem, but thought there might be something from some Northern Cities, especially into Scotland as it can be done in a day as opposed to overnight stops.

As mentioned the Newcastle to Chatsworth is expensive enough, going overnight would take it out of my price range I fear.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Some of the steam charters offer "premier dining" which could be of interest.

It isn't cheap and my budget just about strecthes to cattle class and my own butties but I did take my Dad on an S&C steam special in Premier Dining for his 60th and it was very good! I might be tempted to look at that Shrewsbury one if WCRC are back in action

Status
Not open for further replies.