• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lying to skip the bus queue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzak

The reason the lower car deck is cleared first in East Cowes is so we can off-load/load any drop trailers we may have whilst the upper car deck is offloaded (with pauses to allow the shunter to spin the trailer), also to allow any mezzanine decks to be lowered, cleared and either stowed or reloaded of cars, doing it this way means we are able to stay on time.

We are limited on space in East Cowes as you are aware, as we are aware and as are the council. One day we may get some more space and be able to offload 2 decks at a time.

Appreciate the answer lewisrday. I understand why you guys do it and compared to Wightlink you're a 5* service and always on time. Hopefully the service on December 27th is on time and completely empty :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
Round my way, what seems to happen is this:
people stand around the bus stop in a rather disorderly fashion. When the bus comes a queue forms which seems to be in descending age order I.E.:

Bus > Elderly > Middle Aged (40-65 ish) > Young Adults (18 > 39 ish) > Teenagers > Miscellaneous (Pushchairs etc.).

There seems to be exceptions to this rule however at around School kicking out time, where a game of "How many people can you fit on an Optare Solo?" begins ( I think the record stands at Sixty something, I lost count).
I noted on my way back from town on Friday, that Schoolchildren tend to rush the door in the same manner as British Bulldog where the strongest get home first and the weak are left behind. However the driver quickly becomes overwhelmed and just gives up trying to restrict the flow. This ended in a rather awkward situation where I had a teenage girl sitting almost in my lap from Wilford Lane, all the way to Clifton.
I'm not tarring all Schoolchildren with the same brush here, some are immensely polite. I'm merely making an observation.

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
The 27th is looking to be a very busy today indeed, if you end up on the Red Osprey then I shall probably see you on board.

gnolife

Established Member
There seems to be exceptions to this rule however at around School kicking out time, where a game of "How many people can you fit on an Optare Solo?" begins ( I think the record stands at Sixty something, I lost count).

We used to play that on the 298 (later the 20) from ACA to Altrincham via the Grange every Friday. What really used to make us angry is that we used to either get a Beaver 2 or, later on, a Solo, and the schoolbus 770, which loaded about two dozen used to get an Olympian.

Whistlekiller

Despite an interest in it, I rarely use public transport. In fact I haven't used a bus of any description from any part of the country in over 20 years now.

Having read this thread I have to say I'm really quite glad. I can do without the provocation!

By the way, the guy who suggested checking on the size of a miscreant before confronting one.......I've seen 18 stone muscle bound six and a half footers easily flattened by tiny flyweights on many an occasion so don't think that size is everything! :D

Rich

Last edited:

1e10

Despite an interest in it, I rarely use public transport. In fact I haven't used a bus of any description from any part of the country in over 20 years now.

Having read this thread I have to say I'm really quite glad. I can do without the provocation!

By the way, the guy who suggested checking on the size of a miscreant before confronting one.......I've seen 18 stone muscle bound six and a half footers easily flattened by tiny flyweights on many an occasion so don't think that size is everything! :D

Rich

Size means nothing. I'm just over six foot tall in year 13 and year 7 students will still attempt to push me aside to board before me despite myself being there first.

fowler9

Established Member
Size means nothing. I'm just over six foot tall in year 13 and year 7 students will still attempt to push me aside to board before me despite myself being there first.

Indeed, size means noting if you don't know how to use it, and I don't have a clue. On the plus side it will put some people off having a go.

Whistlekiller

Indeed, size means noting if you don't know how to use it, and I don't have a clue. On the plus side it will put some people off having a go.
On an even bigger plus side, not using your size to intimidate people puts you with the good guys. :D

fowler9

Established Member
On an even bigger plus side, not using your size to intimidate people puts you with the good guys. :D

Ha ha, very true mate. Plus anyway I have a good friend who is a young lady from Somerset and she is about a size 6 at the most. God help anyone who messes with her though, she is like Yip Man if you have seen that film (Based on a true story). She could kill you with her little finger. Ha ha.

moogal

Most busy London stops have several buses stopping at them anyway so it's hardly surprising there's no official queue as such.

My own method is to let people who were already at the stop on in front of me, then join in at the appropriate point before others who arrived afterwards (with exceptions for pushchairs/the elderly/etc, who of course get to go on before)

Status
Not open for further replies.