• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lymington Peir Struck

Status
Not open for further replies.

A class 450 hit the Platform at Lymington Peir this morning. It seems something struck the Pier moving the platform by about 8 inches. Buses replace trains between Lymington Town and Lymington Peir for the next couple of days my but may be a lot longer. The line between Lymington Town and Lymington Peir was only re-opened yesterday after being closed between 9th of jan until the 29th march due to refubishment work carried out by wightlink at the Peir

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
So the pier was struck by the ferry, which shifted the platform which a 450 hit ?

If the pier was struck, why was a train still allowed to run without the platform being checked ?

So the pier was struck by the ferry, which shifted the platform which a 450 hit ?

If the pier was struck, why was a train still allowed to run without the platform being checked ?

My guess is that it wasnt reported to Network Rail by whoever was in charge of the vessel.

Clip

Established Member

Too busy picking up a shopping trolley

341o2

Established Member
My guess is that it wasnt reported to Network Rail by whoever was in charge of the vessel.

With the service every 30 minutes, and the station unstaffed, the train probably arrived before the extent of the damage to the platform was realised, the ferry crew would be concentrating on the damage to their vessel first. This may well stir up opponents of the new ferries as they obviously cannot avoid collisions with large stationary objects

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Of course, with the new ferries having been in service for three years, and the old ones having been scrapped, the opponents of the new ones can huff and puff all they want but it won't make any difference...

D1009

Established Member
Has it been confirmed anywhere that the "boat" that struck the pier was a ferry, or is this just an assumption ? The main link span berth is nowhere near the platform.

John55

With the service every 30 minutes, and the station unstaffed, the train probably arrived before the extent of the damage to the platform was realised, the ferry crew would be concentrating on the damage to their vessel first. This may well stir up opponents of the new ferries as they obviously cannot avoid collisions with large stationary objects

Berthing a ship is a deliberate collision so I would hope they don't avoid collisions otherwise everyone will have to jump ashore. The only variable is how hard the ship hits the berth. Like with a heavy shunt on a railway sometimes it is a bit more energetic than hoped.

Does anyone actually know what manoeuvre the ship was performing when the incident that damaged the platform took place?

Oracle

Established Member
If you ever want to see a deliberate kissing of a pier, go down to Town Quay in Southampton and watch the Red Jets (Red Funnel) which do just that, but using reversible water jets and not props. On the other side of the Quay are the berths for the Red Funnel ferries. It is not that long ago that a ferry pranged the loading ramp.

On an aside, the Condor terminal in Weymouth which had to be abandoned temporarily (it was hoped) in favour of Poole is to have its cracked quayside repaired by Weymouth & Portland Council. I seem to recall that routine checks revealed that there was damage. Work done to it proved fruitless and it now requires substantial works. Local businesses have lot a lot of money as a result of the move away down the coast.

Lrd

Established Member
It is not that long ago that a ferry pranged the loading ramp.
2006. Red Falcon.

While docking we sometimes have to take a bit of a run up to get the rubber lined up with the link span which can cause a bit of bump. This is the vehicle ferries.

Oracle

Established Member
The Bovvercraft also seem to need a good run up at Southsea sometimes...they of course have great big padded bollards now to stop the 'craft going through the wall!

As regards the Red Funnels, I do respect how you guys manoeuvre when berthing, especially the car ferries next to the Quay. Also your colleagues on Wightlink at Pompey. My limited experience on the water has been restricted to yachts on the Solent, and that was bad enough trying to tie up! Driving and firing trains was much easier: you don't tend to bash into things...

Last edited:

scotsman

Established Member
Just watch some of the ferries on the west coast try to berth in a storm - watched them bash the pier more times than I can remember!

Status
Not open for further replies.