• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lymington Pier

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
NRE is now showing it under the engineering work section and showing that there will be no trains between the Lymington stations until Monday 16th April.

Extending a further week now, until 'at least' Sun 22nd, which isn't that surprising, as they'd find all sorts of extra issues once they got stuck in to the repairs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aylesbury

Be glad when usual span is back in use the slipway is a hairy exit from the ferry ,surprised how rusty rails have become over closure .

jopsuk

Veteran Member
rails quickly get a layer of rust on them at the best of times when out of use for a few days; being right by the sea this will happen even faster.

Lrd

Established Member
Just out of curiosity does anyone know who owns the pier?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Don't quote me but I have a feeling it belonged to BR, now Network Rail on behlf of the DfT?

Doing a planning search of the NFDC might help.

I went through the planning site, and NR are not mentioned anywhere as a party to the works - which isn't surprising because I suspect there'll be a division of responsibility separating the structure into pier side and platform side. I think I'll have a look at this next time I'm through the station, but I think the track and platform are on reclaimed land, and the side facing the water is sort of overlapping the land, but attached to the back of the platform.

The station doesn't seem to be on a pier in the way Ryde Pier or Portsmouth Harbour are obviously on piers, IYSWIM.

If only there was a well informed station master to ask about this... :lol:

wintonian

Established Member
I went through the planning site, and NR are not mentioned anywhere as a party to the works - which isn't surprising because I suspect there'll be a division of responsibility separating the structure into pier side and platform side. I think I'll have a look at this next time I'm through the station, but I think the track and platform are on reclaimed land, and the side facing the water is sort of overlapping the land, but attached to the back of the platform.

The station doesn't seem to be on a pier in the way Ryde Pier or Portsmouth Harbour are obviously on piers, IYSWIM.

If only there was a well informed station master to ask about this... :lol:

You are sort of right.

The bottom end of the platform is on the 'pier' whilst the track and top end of the platform (which is classic concreate) are on land, how much of that is reclaimed I don't know but obviously a large amount is.

You may be able to see by loking at my pics above or the angle might be wrong for it.

You can see in this pic that the bottom of the platform is wooden, but where it changes colour further up it becomes concreate and is obviously on land.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11037&d=1333533808

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Of course at one time it would all have belonged to BR, via Sealink.

I bet the NR and Wightlink lawyers are studying the ownership and maintenance liabilities with a new sense of urgency right now, especially if it has never been done before...

wintonian

Established Member
Of course at one time it would all have belonged to BR, via Sealink.

I bet the NR and Wightlink lawyers are studying the ownership and maintenance liabilities with a new sense of urgency right now, especially if it has never been done before...

Exactly - one supposes that bits like the ferry terminal may have been owned by Sealink rather than BR directly and taken over by Wightlink on privatisation of that part of Sealink?

If on the other than it was owned by BR directly then it may not have been privatised in the same way with parts like the terminal being sold off at a later date and the station retained by BR.

2 other less likely scenarios I would would think are that the whole lot got sold off to Wightlink or that the land did not change hands with the ferry operation and that BR never disposed of either and retained ownership until its own privatisation.

This is of course just guess work from my self as I really wouldn't know.

The other option is that this whole episode was planned and the land is actually owned by Berthon or Yacht Havens Group, and yes the Lymington Pier station could be run by a station master. ;)

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
while local news does not state exactly what hit the pier, it emphasises that a ferry was not involved

wintonian

Established Member
while local news does not state exactly what hit the pier, it emphasises that a ferry was not involved

According to page 2 of the Lymington times

Why another vessel would have permission or reason to be the water directly in front of the ferry landing is beyond me.

Attachments

• lyp.png
    lyp.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 18

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

My money is on the piling barge. A heavy old lump, and just the sort of thing that would get a bit of momentum going when being moved around by small tugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.