• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lymington Pier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Established Member
There is emergency engineering work on Lymington Pier, so this morning buses were accepting rail tickets between Town and Pier stations, and then this afternoon taxis were to be laid on. There was reference to damage to the pier? Any ideas as to what has happened please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
Is this actually "emergency" engineering work or just "overrunning" work (as I recall Lymington Pier was supposed to have reopened by yesterday)?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Odd - there's no updates on the ferry's website.

NR's twitter feed reckons this was a new problem as of four hours ago.

Maybe something's up with the track after 8 weeks out of use?

wintonian

Established Member
This was at least sort of planned as I remember seeing it on a SWT poster at the beginning of the week.

As I recall it was closed due to some kind of Wightlink enhancements to the terminal.

The buses would have been replacement buses as there are no scheadualed service buses to the ferry terminal unless I compleatly missed something for the last 15 years.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is this vehicle hiting a bridge but there arn't any bridges past Lymington town.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This was at least sort of planned as I remember seeing it on a SWT poster at the beginning of the week.

As I recall it was closed due to some kind of Wightlink enhancements to the terminal.

The work was to rebuild the main operational berth (the one with the linkspan beyond the station) for the new class of ferries, in particular to allow foot passengers and crew to embark and disembark separately to vehicles, ie without having to use the vehicle ramp. They were also putting new mooring piles in the river outboard of the station platform, to provide new overnight standby berths for the new ferries.

Because the main berth was out of use the emergency slipway was used for the ferry service for the last couple of months, but as the vehicle route to that slipway crosses the track via a level crossing, it would not have been possible to run trains with that route in use.

However the plans had it all back to normal on Thursday, (maybe that's what the poster you saw was implying?) and there seems to be no evidence that the route wasn't working normally yesterday and early this morning, at least before this new emergency came up.

Eagle

Established Member

That does not look good.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Easy to fix that.

Tie a ferry up alongside the station and use its thrusters to move whole structure, and platform, back into the normal position... :D :D

wintonian

Established Member
The work was to rebuild the main operational berth (the one with the linkspan beyond the station) for the new class of ferries, in particular to allow foot passengers and crew to embark and disembark separately to vehicles, ie without having to use the vehicle ramp. They were also putting new mooring piles in the river outboard of the station platform, to provide new overnight standby berths for the new ferries.

Because the main berth was out of use the emergency slipway was used for the ferry service for the last couple of months, but as the vehicle route to that slipway crosses the track via a level crossing, it would not have been possible to run trains with that route in use.

However the plans had it all back to normal on Thursday, (maybe that's what the poster you saw was implying?) and there seems to be no evidence that the route wasn't working normally yesterday and early this morning, at least before this new emergency came up.

You are of-course correct, I just couldn't remember the details and I don't get to go to Lymington as often as I used to.

May have a look tomorrow if I feel like it after my 7 mile trek tonight.

tsr

Established Member
So will this result in a joint investigation by RAIB and their colleagues at MAIB?

Possibly. I imagine there will be considerable involvement from whichever authority, if any, was involved in the direction of the course of the errant vessel, as well as the controller of the waterway.

I'm curious by reports that a train struck the platform. If this is so, and happened more than a few minutes after the incident, that sounds rather negligent to me. I am a RYA trained sailor, and whilst I have never controlled any craft that would cause that sort of damage, I know that the procedures to be applied (very simply put, any details in a VHF 14 or other distress call must be passed to NR within as short a period of time as possible by the Coastguard or any other receiving authority) should have prevented any such incident.

wintonian

Established Member
I assume the propper concreate part of the platform isn't long enough for a 450 otherwise could they stop short in the platform?

deltic1989

Established Member
Possibly. I imagine there will be considerable involvement from whichever authority, if any, was involved in the direction of the course of the errant vessel, as well as the controller of the waterway.

I'm curious by reports that a train struck the platform. If this is so, and happened more than a few minutes after the incident, that sounds rather negligent to me. I am a RYA trained sailor, and whilst I have never controlled any craft that would cause that sort of damage, I know that the procedures to be applied (very simply put, any details in a VHF 14 or other distress call must be passed to NR within as short a period of time as possible by the Coastguard or any other receiving authority) should have prevented any such incident.

what you say is perfectly correct. but that would only be the case had a Mayday or Pan message been sent, what it seems has happened here is that the ferry's Captain or the officer of the watch, has over cooked it a bit whilst berthing and struck the peir, if the train was arriving to connect with the ferry then there wouldnt be enough time to contact NR.
Just speculation on my part there and i do stand to be corrected.

tsr

Established Member
what you say is perfectly correct. but that would only be the case had a Mayday or Pan message been sent, what it seems has happened here is that the ferry's Captain or the officer of the watch, has over cooked it a bit whilst berthing and struck the peir, if the train was arriving to connect with the ferry then there wouldnt be enough time to contact NR.
Just speculation on my part there and i do stand to be corrected.

The fact that any call is sent over a frequency that - by best practice and some regulation - is reserved for emergency calls should indicate to any receiving party that a problem requiring at least a basic safety check has arisen. I could understand if a Pan call had been made, since that might have been the safest action to take in case any failure or damage had occurred. I don't know how visible the problem was to the person in charge of observation on board the vessel, but I know a member of staff would probably have noticed in their position somewhere on board! Naturally, if a train was too close to prevent an incident, NR could probably do very little - but I have not looked up the timetables, so I don't know if any avoiding actions could have been taken.

Any problems will doubtless be revealed in the relevant investigations, and I was not witness to this incident, so I won't speculate on any cause of this incident. It's just an interesting scenario and one which certainly has had some rather unfortunate consequences straight after engineering work to the pier! It might be interesting to see if any new navigation requirements made the person in charge of the vessel less able to do their job, but, again, that will probably form part of the investigation.

Interestingly the NRE map say trains are replaced by taxies, which will be rather confusing for people if they are.
It is trains Brockenhurst to Lymington Town and Bus from Lymington Town to Lymington Pier until further notice.Stagecoach Dart 35258 doing the honours

Last edited:

It was taxis running at first, then changed to buses.
Yep that is correct.Had Taxi's for about 2 hours yesterday because trains were running to the Pier but stopping short of the damage up until about 11am when the decision was made to terminate at the Town. Bus replacement from about 13.30 onwards.

tsr

Established Member
The pier is now open for trains, according to NRE, but I suppose there may be overnight works to sort a few things out permanently.

The pier is now open for trains, according to NRE, but I suppose there may be overnight works to sort a few things out permanently.
Quite possibly.Trains are terminating at the Town though well at least during my seven and a half hr shift anyway. lol

ushawk

Established Member
NRE is now showing it under the engineering work section and showing that there will be no trains between the Lymington stations until Monday 16th April.

No trains running onto the pier at all.

341o2

Established Member
saw 158 unit on branch leaving Brock today so assume trains are still terminating at Lymington Town This thread reminds me of Leslie Phillips in the Navy Lark (after a rough docking "only a little scratch, a lick of paint will put things to right." " Mr Phillips, you're going to need a coat of paint half an inch thick!")

wintonian

Established Member
Some pics of the pier on Monday.

Sorry there kind of all from the same angle but I had to take them from on top of the ferry otherwise I would have been waiting for the next one.

The wide shots are mainly to give people a sense of the location, so the main berth is where I'm standing and the fallback berth is the one at the top right.

Plenty of bods from Network rail arrived arround lunch time and were mostly still at the sucking through the teeth and tutting stage when I saw them, but as you can seethe impact has just shifted the pier and mishapped it a bit, with come of the horizontal planks and joists holding the deck up cracked or broken.

P1010002.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010020.jpg

and a nice picture of 73205 at Easleigh on Monday to finish off with. :)

P1010001.jpg

matchmaker

Established Member

Err - it's VHF channel 16 for distress, safety and urgency calls! :)

Alan (former Coastguard & RNLI lifeboatman)

Status
Not open for further replies.