• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lyon Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BantamMenace

I'm going to Lyon with my housemate for Everton's away game there in a fortnight's time and I'm looking for some advice around a couple of things.

The best way from the Airport to the City centre and back (our accommodation is walking distance from Part Dieu). Is the best value in the youth (under 25) return RhoneExpress or to share an Uber?

We're looking at a day trip to Geneva the day before the game, is there anything to be saved by buying our train tickets in advance as there would be in the UK? Can someone please advise me what is the best ticket to get; we're both under 25 and would like to be guaranteed to sit together.

Any other recommendations on what to do, where to eat and what to avoid in both Lyon and Geneva would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
As far as I can make out, the cheapest fares are on the regional trains.
There are hardly any TGVs anyway.
You can save a small amount (EUR69 vs 80) if you pre-book the holiday special fare (depends on your actual date of travel - Toussaint is All Saints Day 1 Nov, I don't know when the holiday period is but it's like half-term)
https://www.ter.sncf.com/auvergne-rhone-alpes/offres/tarifs/illico-promo-vacances

Otherwise, the Decouverte 12-25 tariff is walk-up.
The Rhone Express seems very expensive for the distance but I presume the taxis are aware of that!

AFAIK there are no reservations on TER trains.

AlexNL

Established Member
If you want to have some fun on the urban network of Lyon, there are some lines which might be of interest...

- Metro lines A and B run on rubber tires
- Metro line C is a rack railway
- Metro line D is fully automated
- There are two funiculars, both have Saint-Jean metro station as their starting point

Have a look at TCL's tickets page.

When it comes to heavy rail, the tram-train services from Lyon-Saint-Paul to Sain-Bel and Brignais might be of interest to you. These are not part of the TCL network as they are operated by SNCF (under the TER Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes moniker).

Gordon

Just back from Geneva. What do you want to see there?

Note that the Lyon - Genève service is split between EMUs and 22200 loco hauled (push pull) corail. I am fairly certain you would prefer the Corail, but I'm not sure which trains are booked 22200 + corail.

I saw three turns yesterday (Sunday). Two were 22200 (22271 and 22396) and one was unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.