• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

M&S Food at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarlowDonkey

At many stations, is there a monopoly? In other words, whilst there may seem to be WH Smith, Tesco, Sainsbury's, M&S etc competing with one another, in practice they are all franchises run by the same Group.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
SSP do not list Sainsbury's, WH Smith, Boots, Greggs, Costa, Nero, Pret or Tesco as brand partners online. I would guess they're not associated?

They do list Upper Crust, Camden Food Company, Ritazza, and Leon as theirs (I think the latter has been sold) as well as franchises of Starbucks, Burger King, Millie's Cookies and M&S Simply Food, among other smaller brands.

route101

Established Member
SSP do not list Sainsbury's, WH Smith, Boots, Greggs, Costa, Nero, Pret or Tesco as brand partners online. I would guess they're not associated?

They do list Upper Crust, Camden Food Company, Ritazza, and Leon as theirs (I think the latter has been sold) as well as franchises of Starbucks, Burger King, Millie's Cookies and M&S Simply Food, among other smaller brands.
Didn't think Sainsburys, Tesco and Greggs are part of SSP.

fgwrich

Established Member
At many stations, is there a monopoly? In other words, whilst there may seem to be WH Smith, Tesco, Sainsbury's, M&S etc competing with one another, in practice they are all franchises run by the same Group.
An average station like Reading will have a number of SSP outlets - M&S, Upper Crust x 2, Starbucks, Burger King plus 3 WHSmith outlets (I believe they are franchised by SSP?) and 2 BOOTS stores as well.

D365

Veteran Member
It will be a real shame if the Sheffield one doesn't come back. There aren't a lot of other options in the area.
Indeed, the next closest supermarket is a Tesco five minutes up (literally, up) Howard Street.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Unless I'm mistaken, almost all food and drink sellers on Cambridge station have been shut for the duration. M&S at Liverpool Street was still shut last week but most other places were open. At LST there is a Tesco Metro just over the road. Not as good as M&S but perfectly acceptable.

AMT has been open at times near platform 5/6. If it wasn’t for Sainsbury’s, Pret, Nero & the caravan outside we would have been royally stuffed at Cambridge.

Thanks. I like AMT coffee. I normally buy one at LST before setting out. Hopefully the Cambridge one will open again soon.

Yep, "airside" at Cambridge has been dreadful, but more than compensated by most stuff "landside" staying open.

Smiths on Platform 1 has recently reopened, in a positive move.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sainsbury's and Tesco stores aren't operated by SSP.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Seems to be an SSP thing. Since M&S food in the high Street are open.

St Pancras does seem to be part of SSP and has a different range of outlets.
As pointed out earlier at least one high street store is closed, Manchester Piccadilly Gardens. Also as pointed out upthread one of two M&S Food at St Pancras is open.

skyhigh

Established Member
As pointed out earlier at least one high street store is closed, Manchester Piccadilly Gardens.
Leeds Central Square has been closed over a year, and that's another high street store. I'm sure there's more in the same position.

superjohn

M&S at Liverpool Street was still shut last week but most other places were open.
The upstairs M&S at Liverpool Street has signs up saying they will reopen on Thursday 22/4. The downstairs one and the WH Smith near it look to be permanently closed and gutted. I haven’t been here for months so I don’t know if those predate lockdown. The Bishopsgate end WHS is open.

Despite the massive reduction in passenger numbers every single cubical in the newly refurbished LST gents was occupied at 1900 tonight. Nice to see some things never change!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Despite the massive reduction in passenger numbers every single cubical in the newly refurbished LST gents was occupied at 1900 tonight. Nice to see some things never change!

Hey, free loos in that general area are a precious commodity!

Butts

Veteran Member
It's upstairs in the shopping centre. There's been one there for years, even pre-refurb. There's also a Maccys out on the ramp if you want a greaseburger and don't want to pay the outrageous price Five Guys want for them.

And a Poundland that used to be Woolworths unless it's gone !!

HSP 2

It will be a real shame if the Sheffield one doesn't come back. There aren't a lot of other options in the area.
Indeed, the next closest supermarket is a Tesco five minutes up (literally, up) Howard Street.

You also have a Spar shop just pasted the big water fall less than 5 minutes away along with a booze buster across the big main road.

_toommm_

Established Member
Leeds M&S is back open. Guessing they’re franchises as a lot of them have reopened at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.