• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

M5 closed after major accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
I struggle to see how people can treat truckers with respect when they gleefully admit to driving in bullying manner and making drivers think they are going to be run off the road, purely because someone else isn't as good a driver as they are.

I dont see his comment as driving in a bullying manner, in fact it will make these "morons" think about the stupidity in their driving, If someone is dumb enough to under take a 45tonne plus truck, then they need some lessons in driving safely, perhaps Gearjammers actions may make them think about their actions in future

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
i just put the left hand indicator on and start moving left, they have three choices, 1, get run off the road, 2, eat 30 odd wheel nuts or 3, back off...... they ALWAYS choose option 3 :D
I'm sorry, but what ISN'T bullying about that? Yes, undertaking is silly, and yes it may be annoying, but pretending to then try and run them off the road? That's bullying, especially when driving a 45 tonne lorry. It's not Gearjammers job to try and teach other people to drive correctly, and nor is punishing drivers when they drive incorrectly. That is the job of driving instructors and the police.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I dont see his comment as driving in a bullying manner, in fact it will make these "morons" think about the stupidity in their driving

Or instead perhaps panic them enough that they end up driving off the road and crashing. Or perhaps by breaking heavily to get out of the way of the closing HGV end up being rear ended by the car behind...

I don't see how this can be seen as anything but bullying other drivers.

GB

Established Member
I have no problem with the vast majority of HGV drivers, they seem to behave quite respectably IMO. I really dont mind if they take 2 miles to overtake each other, and slow other drivers down a bit because slowing down is what a lot of car drivers actually need.

If you are the sort of driver that gets stressed every time someone else delays your progress by a few seconds then my only advice is to use public transport, as you are obviously not a safe driver in that mental state; however much concentration you consider you are putting into it.

Don't confuse stress with frustration.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Frankly, I'd feel infinitely safer with a UK registered HGV behind or next to or in front of me than some little tin can driven by someone who probably hasn't a clue where they are and peering at each sign to see if this is the junction they want, and then veering wildly over to the left, and then deciding that that isn't the one so they veer wildly back again. And it's not usually reps in BMWs or Audis; they usually know where they're going; it's people going off on holiday, particularly with a Caravan, who haven't researched their route properly or have excessive quantities of Luggage, reducing visibility, or excessive quantities of Kids to provide a distraction. They, I think, are the main hazard. HGV drivers know what they're doing, or at least British ones usually do.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I have to agree that while you will get a fair share of arses in their company cars driving like tits, most people who drive regularly know how to drive, and that's whether it's a lorry, car or motorcycle. They all discovered a long time (perhaps through trial and error) that changing lanes every two seconds (overtaking excepted) to get ahead rarely achieves anything.

I find driving in rush hour a lot better than coming home on a Sunday where the people who rarely use motorways (or rarely drive full stop) are a nightmare. That's when middle lane hogging and sudden lane changes, as well as huge variances in speed because some people don't feel safe to do more than 35, causes roads to become very dangerous - far too many unknowns to have to be aware of.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Or instead perhaps panic them enough that they end up driving off the road and crashing.

Which would prove that they're not sufficiently qualified. i don't mean to sound hartless, but the Police ought to have the authority to confiscate the car of anyone driving stupidly there and then on the spot, even if they don't crash, never mind having to go through the legal process and all that. of course, if they do crash, always providing that no one's hurt but themselves, then justice would be done already.
This, I feel, would at least be a start in reducing the numbers of drivers on the roads to those who are of a sufficiently high standard.

jon0844

Veteran Member
You certainly did need some skill when a left-hand drive lorry was coming for you because the Eastern European driver didn't have suitable mirrors to see you - and assumed that indicating before moving 0.5 seconds later was sufficient to keep the road clear.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you've been going slow enough for an HGV to overtake you, then decide to accelerate up the inside when you notice, you're clearly not cut out for driving on the motorway.

True, but at the same time does that then make it okay for an HGV driver to pull back towards you? In fact surely it suggests that you're dealing with a driver who is of questionable ability and carrying out a move like that is more likely to spook them than most?

Schnellzug

Established Member
There's a qualification for driving whilst having a HGV coming at you?

I believe so, since, unless the traffic is moving slowly in all lanes, you should have the ability to think sufficiently far ahead to recognise that the situation might develop, i.e. either reduce your speed in plenty of time without needing to stamp on the Brake, or move out ready to overtake. While I appreciate that situations can of course arise (if for instance you're pulling off a slipway, it can be more sensible to accelerate ahead rather than waiting for a long convoy in the inside lane to pass, which might necessitate having to stop, even though that's what they say you should do), more often than not simple impatience or the "I must get ahead" mentality simply comes into effect.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
If you've been going slow enough for an HGV to overtake you, then decide to accelerate up the inside when you notice, you're clearly not cut out for driving on the motorway.

Maybe not, but someone who bullies and intimidates other drivers by pretending to run them off the motorway shouldn't be on the roads end of. I sincerely hope Gearjammer was joking.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Oswyntail

Established Member
... I don't ACTUALLY run people off the road, i just make them THINK im gonna run them off the road....
OK. I don't actually blast your head off with this shotgun, I just make you THINK i'm gonna blast your head off. I suspect your reactions would not be overly calm, and might even become irrational. Just the sort of behaviour we want from all drivers. (Oh, and I don't want to get your messy blood and brain bits over my shiny gun, because I bought the polish myself)

jon0844

Veteran Member
It left at the last exit.

The good news is that we didn't get 100 pages about driverless cars, and how they'd have prevented this tragedy from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.