• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Macclesfield Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

M60lad

Today due to engineering works in Crewe area Virgin Trains were diverting their Wilmslow services via and stopping at Macclesfield then non-stop to London Euston

Now out of interest what would have happened if someone had accidently got on one of these thinking it was stopping at Stoke-On-Trent and not realised until the train had set off? I'm guessing this could have happened as I'm sure most if not all Virgin services that stop at Macclesfield also normally stop at Stoke-on-Trent aswell

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Now out of interest what would have happened if someone had accidently got on one of these thinking it was stopping at Stoke-On-Trent and not realised until the train had set off?
Then they would end up at Euston.

As this is in the ticketing area, I'm guessing you are asking if they'd be required to purchase a ticket? If so, then we cannot answer that as it will depend on the guard, and if he/she feels the passenger is genuine, and all sorts of factors. However there have been reports about what has happened when passengers have been carried beyond their destination posted on this forum before (in fact, you posted one yesterday Overriding Query), though I don't think you can take any of those scenarios and say that is what would apply in each case of someone boarding a non-stop train from Macclesfield to London!

calc7

Established Member
I would imagine a whole host of possibilities - from the train making a sneaky stop at Stoke to a SOS being charged and everything in between.

M60lad

Sorry should have made it clearer, I was meaning to ask what would have happened if someone had bought a ticket to Stoke and got on the service not realising it didnt stop there, yes they would have ended up in London obviously but would they have been able to get back no problems, and yes your right it does depend on how genuine the passenger is

Established Member
Often they will have to purchase a ticket at the next station back to wherever they were going, so in that case a London - Euston ticket. This doesn't really help the person much seeing as the price of a return is sometimes only a few pence/quid difference compared to a single.

Status
Not open for further replies.