• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Magistrates court summons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Again, not necessarily correct, as it all depends on what the offence is, and you were convicted. Although obviously exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, even Police Officers have past criminal records.

Im sure most police officers that are currently serving and have criminal records have got them since they became police officers. I mean I know that you are unlikely to be able to become a driver if you have a criminal record as it is a very responsible job.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
Hello,

I've recently received a letter from Sevenoaks Magistrates Court

What is the date of this letter from Sevenoaks Mags, or if undated, the date of the postmark on the envelope?

This could be important

SussexMan

...I know that you are unlikely to be able to become a driver if you have a criminal record as it is a very responsible job.

Under what bit of legislation does an employer have the ability to check the spent convictions of an applicant to be a driver?

Dave1987

On Moderation
Under what bit of legislation does an employer have the ability to check the spent convictions of an applicant to be a driver?

When you apply you have to detail any convictions you have received in the past

wintonian

Established Member

But you are not required by law to inform them of spent convictions unless required to do as required by law for certain professions.

Unless those bits of law do apply then they can not ask for an enhanced CRB check only a standard one.

It's a little while since I looked into all this so I am prepared to be corrected if I'm out of date or my memorys not quite what it should be.

SussexMan

You don't have to reveal spent convictions for being a train driver though. Unless it is in the list of exempted positions - and I don't think it is.

wintonian

Established Member
But lying on an application for employment is grounds for dismissal and possibly an offence as well.

michael769

Established Member
I thought you could legally put "none" for offences if they were all legally spent.

You can indeed, with a few exceptions.

The rehabilitation of offenders act states that any question about past offences may be answered as if it explicitly excludes spent convictions. The act also prohibits dimissal on the grounds of failing to disclose spent convictions.

wintonian

Established Member
You can indeed, with a few exceptions.

The rehabilitation of offenders act states that any question about past offences may be answered as if it explicitly excludes spent convictions. The act also prohibits dimissal on the grounds of failing to disclose spent convictions.

Now I think about it your right, but I have tended to notice a worrying trend these days for standard application forms to state "including those regarded as 'spent'" thus creating the illusion that you are required to make disclosure when in fact you are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.