Maidenhead -> Paddington -> Newbury -> Maidenhead

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by ess, 4 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ess

ess Member

Tomorrow I need an off peak trip Maidenhead -> Paddington -> Newbury -> Maidenhead.

What's the cheapest way of achieving that using fast trains where possible?
    Thanks

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Member

A CDR Maidenhead - Paddington at £11.40, and a CDR Maidenhead - Newbury at £10.90 will cover you for this, but you'll need to be on a train that calls at Maidenhead. Unfortunately, Paddington to Newbury trains are usually non-stop to Reading.

So using the fast trains, you'll need a CDR Reading - Paddington at £18.10, then a CDR Reading - Newbury at £6.10, and a CDS Reading - Maidenhead at £6.00.

3. hassaanhc

hassaanhc Established Member

Thames Branches Day Ranger at £19.45 allows unlimited off peak journeys to from any station between Paddington and Reading, so that combined with a Reading to Newbury Off Peak Day Return at £6.10 is quite a bit cheaper. In fact with that combination the train doesn't even need to call at Reading! :D

Last edited: 4 Jun 2015
  4. lightbulb

lightbulb Member

I've found an even cheaper way using fast trains: a Thames Branches Day Ranger at £19.45, which will cover you for unlimited journeys between Reading and Paddington, and a CDR Reading to Newbury at £6.10.

Edit: hassaanhc beat me to it!

Further edit: hassaanhc says that with the above combination the train doesn't need to call at RDG. I disagree: unlike Rovers, Rangers do not count as season tickets or leisure passes for the purposes of condition 19c.

And another edit: beaten to it again by jkdd77!

Last edited: 4 Jun 2015
  5. jkdd77

jkdd77 Member

It would need to call, because the TBDR is not a 'leisure travel pass' within the meaning of Condition 19, since it is not valid for at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days. Personally, I don't believe that it would need to be a 'open' call for both picking up and setting down, but that is already being discussed on a different thread and opinion varies.

6. furlong

furlong Established Member

And which trains to Newbury did you have in mind that don't call at Reading or call only to pick up or set down?

7. hassaanhc

hassaanhc Established Member

Oh dear! Thanks for correcting me :oops:

8. ess

ess Member

Great, thanks, very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.