• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maidenhead signalbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

codek

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures of the maidenhead signal box? it seems it was a short lived beast. it was a pretty modern looking thing. The only picture i've found is one at sunset and so is in shadow on flickr! not much help really!

Or perhaps does anyone know of any other boxes built to a similar design that may have been more likely to have been photographed?

Thanks!
Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Non Multi

There's some b/w pictures that include the 1960's WR 'plywood wonder' Maidenhead Middle box on ebay. Search for 'Maidenhead station'.

John Webb

Established Member
The Western Region's 'Wooden Wonders' were introduced in 1957, and became the only box style the WR used after 1961. They were classified as a 'Type 37' in the Signalling Study Group's book "The Signal Box" published by OPC in 1986. I don't have access to a complete list of these at present.

Gloster

Established Member
The 46 lever Plywood Wonder opened 8 December 1963 and closed 21 October 1974. It replaced three boxes: East, Middle and West. Two dated from 1891, but East was a 1923 replacement for an 1891 box.

I think the only ones still in use are Evesham and Whitland; the latter is visible on Streetview.

Possible ones that were photographed are Eggesford, Dainton, Letterston Junction and Bargoed. There were around thirty or so, including several reuses.

EDIT: Googling ‘ modern western region signal box ‘ and choosing images seems the best option.

Last edited:

MichaelAMW

There's a bit of a thread here:

Status
Not open for further replies.