• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mail/Parcels trains - Propelling Control Vehicle Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JN114

Established Member
While looking into some of the history of the latter days of Mail traffic, I’ve found a sectional Appendix entry; authorising the use of Propelling Control Vehicles (PCVs) on all lines between Euston and Wembley Central.

That does lend the inference that some of the empty coaching stock workings betwixt the PRDC and Euston RES sidings operated or at least could be operated with with the PCV leading.

Does anyone know, Was this regularly the case? And were there any restrictions on such use?

I know they were often used for shunting at terminals, and between the PRDC and Kensal Green Jn on the NLL; but this seems altogether a bigger kettle of fish...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
While looking into some of the history of the latter days of Mail traffic, I’ve found a sectional Appendix entry; authorising the use of Propelling Control Vehicles (PCVs) on all lines between Euston and Wembley Central.

That does lend the inference that some of the empty coaching stock workings betwixt the PRDC and Euston RES sidings operated or at least could be operated with with the PCV leading.

Does anyone know, Was this regularly the case? And were there any restrictions on such use?

I know they were often used for shunting at terminals, and between the PRDC and Kensal Green Jn on the NLL; but this seems altogether a bigger kettle of fish...
I would imagine it would be very limited in general on the mainline as maximum speed in propelling 'mode' was 40mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.