Mail trains ?

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by badger1badger, 29 Dec 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badger1badger

badger1badger Member

Hi just a thought does mail still go on trains ? If so what type and what routes and does it get sorted on trains ???

Cheers

paul

2. matt

matt Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The only mail trains now run between Willesden, Warrington and Sheildmuir (occasionally to Low Fell on the east coast). They are 325 emus. The mail is no longer sorted on the train.

3. 142094

142094 Established Member

Not sure if it has visited Low Fell in a few years, but if someone knows it has I'd be interested to hear! Last time I heard them going down the ECML was due to the WCML being shut.

4. matt

matt Moderator Staff Member Moderator

There has been trains to Low Fell earlier this month worked by a class 67 dragging a 325 unit. A photo (not mine) is here http://aa.photosnaps.org.uk/p68245358.html

5. 142094

142094 Established Member

I'll be damned. Never heard of this on the grapevine.

6. 33056

33056 Established Member

Had quite a few services to and from Low Fell earlier in the month when Newcastle airport was closed due to snow, they were all hauled by class 67s due to traction knowledge. Prior to that, I think the previous trip down that way with a 325 was about a year earlier, when GBRf were doing the mail traffic, the purpose being for driver route refreshing.

7. GNER 373

GNER 373 Member

I haven't seen a 325 on Low Fell for about 5/6 years now! As far as I know there are a very few mail trains that visit Low Fell/Team Valley and those that are aren't 325's! They did used to stable these at the Tyne Yard and 325's were regularly seen here, now its all 37's and Virgin 220/221's!

I was hoping that Tyne Yard could be used to house the new Hitachi train development factory but as far as I'm aware the whole things on Ice! Anyway should've maybe kept that for a different discussion!
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I stand corrected!

8. wyvfe1

wyvfe1 Member

I remember seeing the 325 unit at Finsbury Park most days in the summer around 2pm ish waiting on platform 5.
    Not sure of the exact time think between 2:30pm and 3:30pm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.