• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maintenance Depot Driver Role - Northern - Heaton, Newcastle (02-04-2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulN

A good starting point... as advertises willing to train.....

Good luck!

Maintenance Depot Driver
Salary: Year £23,771 per annum, Year 2 £29,105 per annum, MDD £38,004 per annum
35 hours

About the job:

Safe movement of vehicles within the Depot and associated sidings, including driving and shunting duties in accordance with Network Rail Group Standards and Depot Operating Instructions. Servicing of traction and rolling stock to NORTHERN work standards and specifications. Comply with instructions, rules and regulations in force. Start dates are based on business need and will be discussed at a later date.

Duties include:

*Work to the instructions of the Team Leader; undertake any work as required, subject to competence. *Advise Team Leader of all work arising and any difficulties encountered.
*Sign off all completed jobs on prescribed worksheets, endorsing 'work outstanding' where necessary. *Adhere to commitments outlined, and signed for, within the Safety Responsibility Statement. *Prepare, marshall and dispose of vehicles arriving at and departing Neville Hill Depot.
*Drive traction units in a safe manner in accordance with rules and regulations.
*Control all movements of vehicles within the depot complex, including coupling and reforming Vehicles, in accordance with the current Rules and Regulations as specified in the Network Rail Group Standard GO/RT3004 and Depot Operating Instructions.
*Ensure that all movements comply with the Depot Protection arrangements as specified in the Depot Working Instructions.
*Servicing of traction and rolling stock, including re-fuelling and replenishment of engine oil, coolant and systems.
*Ensure all toilet header tanks are filled on all vehicles arriving on the Depot and vehicles released from maintenance.
*Replenish toilet compartments with soap, toilet tissue, hand towels, etc.
*Ensure all toilet bowls are disinfected (blocked toilets to be emptied as necessary) and toilet compartments are replenished.
*Hand wash cab ends/windscreens, door recesses and vehicle exteriors as instructed.
*Carry out preparation of trains prior to departure.
*Ensure all vehicle windows are closed before vehicles pass through the exterior wash plant.
*Lay druggets on all carpeted vehicles on arrival at the depot and ensure that these are removed before they leave the depot.
*Deliver druggets from train service shed to Fuel Shed.
*Obtaining, using, caring for and returning all tools and equipment to storage locations.
*Obtain materials from stores/storage to enable work to be carried out.
*Operation of plant and equipment in accordance with proficiency certification where required. *Forklift truck driving duties as required (where trained)
*Keep place of work clean and tidy at all times. Ensure that all tanking hoses are used correctly and stored away properly after use.
*Liaise with the Team Leader to determine the workload priorities, ensure that the work is progressed. *Adherence to working instructions and quality procedures.
*Assist other members of the team as required.
*Undertake lower graded work, where competent, to facilitate completion of workload.

About you:

*Basic communication skills, both written and oral.
*Able to read and understand COSHH safety related instructions or willing to learn.
*Demonstration of a level of competence necessary to undertake tasks for which limited training is required.
*Able to operate mechanical/electrical appliances or willing to learn.
*Knowledge of all operating procedures, passed and certified in Rules and Regulations or willing to be trained.
*Demonstrate ability to work on own initiative.
*Competent to undertake train-driving duties.

About Northern:

We are transforming and we are on the lookout for smart, forward thinking and motivated people to join us on our journey. You'll help us to grow our business during this exciting time, shaping rail travel in the North and providing our customers with a service to be proud of. If this sounds like you, then you're in the right place. We've got lots of great things planned and we need more like-minded people, contributing fresh ideas, passion and commitment to bring our vision to life. You'll be joining a business that values its people, where hard work is rewarded, and development and progression ensure we retain and attract the very best talent. Northern plays a vital role in the north of England by connecting tens of thousands of people to work, leisure, education and more every day. Our aim is to connect people to opportunities by providing a reliable and friendly train service. We have made significant progress since we started but there is much more that we want to achieve.

Benefits and Rewards:

By working as part of the Northern team, you will receive the following benefits:
*Free Travel on Northern services for you and your family*
*75% discount on all other Train Operating Companies leisure services*
*Pension Scheme *A generous holiday entitlement
*Maternity and Paternity Benefits - above the statutory minimum
*Full uniform for frontline facing roles
*Employee Assistance Programme - operating 24/7, giving a wide range of advice, support and useful information for employees
*And many more!
*Terms and conditions apply

Our selection Process:

Our selection processes are designed to make joining Northern as smooth as possible, it not only provides us with the information we need to decide whether you're the right person to deliver a great service to our customers, but also to make sure we're also the right team for you. Northern is an equal opportunities employer and a promoter of diversity and inclusion in the workplace.

Your on-line application:

The first thing you need to do is complete our online application form and tell us a little bit more about yourself. Once we have all your details, we will be back in touch to let you know what to expect.

Important: Northern reserves the right to close the advert before the published closing date, if high volumes of applications are received. In this situation partially completed applications will not be progressed forward or given extra time to complete

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fred Dinenage

I’ll add a caveat - if you’re wanting to use this as a stepping-stone to train driver, think long and hard about it. Heaton is ran by the engineering department of Northern, train drivers are under the operations department. Heaton doesn’t like parting with it’s staff, and long waits have ensued for MDDs who’ve been successful in passing interviews internally for train driver. Engineering are under no obligation to release staff to operations just because they pass an interview.

heedfan

Quite a lazy job listing if they can't even be bothered to search and replace 'Neville Hill' for 'Heaton'.

Owen2323

Am I right in thinking you'd have to go through the psychometrics exactly the same as if this was for a mainline role (and being Northern it would be to an enhanced standard?)

Driver068

I’ll add a caveat - if you’re wanting to use this as a stepping-stone to train driver, think long and hard about it. Heaton is ran by the engineering department of Northern, train drivers are under the operations department. Heaton doesn’t like parting with it’s staff, and long waits have ensued for MDDs who’ve been successful in passing interviews internally for train driver. Engineering are under no obligation to release staff to operations just because they pass an interview.
I agree, within Northern MDDs have tried to move to mainline. Over the last few years many have applied to go mainline but only a few have been successful to move. Heaton is notoriously difficult to get out and within Northern it is NOT seen as a progression. If mainline is your aim, some TOCs in, particular LNER, do not recognise Metro or MDD to move across as a Qualified and within Northern, if you did manage to go MDD then Driver, you would start as a trainee and do the drivers course. If anyone wants to go mainline there will be plenty of opportunities especially within Northern to go mainline by applying for Driver apprenticeships.

MDD is a good job and it can be a break into the indusrty. However dont apply with the aim to go mainline.

Am I right in thinking you'd have to go through the psychometrics exactly the same as if this was for a mainline role (and being Northern it would be to an enhanced standard?)
Yes, you would have to do the tests and reach the same standards. MDDs normally do the first few weeks of a drivers course.

Owen2323

I thought as much - seems an awful lot of hoops to jump through to be qualified to unblock the bogs on a night shift

heedfan

I thought as much - seems an awful lot of hoops to jump through to be qualified to unblock the bogs on a night shift

There is a little more to it than that. Whilst Northern may not be keen to promote, your experience puts you in a good position with other TOCs. I can attest to that personally. Also, many people are very happy at MDD positions as the salary is good and the responsibility is somewhat less than mainline.

Owen2323

There is a little more to it than that. Whilst Northern may not be keen to promote, your experience puts you in a good position with other TOCs. I can attest to that personally. Also, many people are very happy at MDD positions as the salary is good and the responsibility is somewhat less than mainline.
I know mate that was a tongue in cheek comment haha. Maybe I should have thrown a lol on at the end to make myself clear :)
A popular foot in the door for mainline work I'm sure and far better than my current job even with the toilet duties :)

newcastleboy

Anyone got an interview, just had my invitation tonight!

Does anyone have a phone number for recruitment or HR, still haven’t received the confirmation email for my interview yet or received my Microsoft teams link

Last edited:

tommyb2687

Does anyone have a phone number for recruitment or HR, still haven’t received the confirmation email for my interview yet or received my Microsoft teams link
Nothing yet good luck though ive just emailed hr this evening

RailLady

[email protected]

Fingers crossed you hear something soon
As long as you’ve booked your slot for interview, you will get sent the link to the video interview.
Just be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.