Major disruption at London Waterloo, 24/10/18

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by 2HAP, 24 Oct 2018.

1. 2HAP

2HAP Member

The Metro is reporting major disruption affecting all services out or Waterloo mainline (Waterloo East apparently unaffected) due to "a signalling meltdown" (their words). Networ Rail and TOCs are telling passengers "not to travel"

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/24/do-n...sWgasfpFD_a55JdvlQXqXGLU2xZYtsexiBpeh-zZ9Ya4g

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

Reports are that there's been a failure of both data links to Walton-on-Thames interlocking, knocking out all of the track circuits in the area.

Trains are being talked past the affected signals, resulting in massive delays.

0658 Farnham to Waterloo was 58 late at Clapham Junction
    0723 Waterloo to Farnham was 24 late at Aldershot

4. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

I wonder how extra rammed the Voyagers/Turbos were this morning from Basingstoke to Reading with passengers escaping to go into Paddington.

5. AndyPJG

AndyPJG Member

Watching the RTT map (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/maps/areas/swml/5), looks like the fault (at Hersham) was cleared at 1050.

Prior to that, it seemed like it was only 1 track in each direction (DS and UF), and single train working over about 5 signal sections. No trains stopping at Esher, Hersham and Walton.

Attached Files:

6. hwl

hwl Established Member

No track circuits over 6 sections on all four tracks

7. Tio Terry

Tio Terry Member

Unusual to have both diversely routed data links fail at the same time.

Anyone have any further details?

8. hwl

hwl Established Member

A big fuse went "pop" too

9. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

Although being talked passed, were all four tracks being used?

I find all of this fascinating and the impact it had on the timetable is interesting too. Well it is to me.

10. Edders23

Edders23 Member

or vandalism ? the cynic in me thinks this was very convenient on a strike day

11. greyman42

greyman42 Member

Vandalism by a striking member of staff?

12. Dieseldriver

Dieseldriver Member

:lol::lol::lol: Brilliant!!!

13. Wychwood93

Wychwood93 Member

Very - I was hoping to change at Southampton onto the 0910 1F10 PMH-CDF - late in, heard it go out, and then looked at the 1M34 0845 BMH-MAN - rammed, some PAX could not get on. Chose the 0946 1E36 to Newcastle - full from Winchester and rammed from Basingstoke. SWR advice was to take XC services and change at Reading for that little old town by the Thames. The same advice from the 'guard' before my late 0830 ex-CHR arrived at Southampton. A touch of a squeeze to get all PAX on at Basingstoke. The bottom line may well be that there was good co-operation between the TOCs and that staff of said TOCs did their job well - keep PAX informed. We are hardy folk in our island, I did not hear one complaint - even from the family of four at Southampton who could not get on the 1M34. They accepted the train was overcrowded and took to their phones to re-address matters. Get the next one to Basing and meet their other friend there. Down here in the greater Bournemouth area we have similar stuff every day of the week with the local road network. It is not good.

14. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

I would like to say that is very cynical, but there is a voice in the back of my head which can't rule it out by a very militant union member as a "this will screw you up massively" kick.

-----

When did RTT get maps added?

15. theironroad

theironroad Established Member

The 'esw' on the berths on the map you linked is 'emergency special working', a variation of temporary block working . Must admit to having never heard the term 'single train working' but may be a regional variation not used on Wessex and not in the rule book afaik.

16. theironroad

Rtt has had maps for a few years for most of the wessex main routes as I believe the guy who started rtt lives on the route. I'm not aware of rtt maps for others parts of the country. Ott and traksy seem to be more prevalent.

17. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Were trains not able to be diverted either from Guildford via Epsom or from West Byfleet via Chertsey, Staines and Richmond?

18. theironroad

Some did divert via Chertsey and also some from Portsmouth did divert via Cobham. Not necessary to go via Epsom .

However not all crews sign all diversionary routes as it is depot specific and a rather contentious issue.

19. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

I only sent them via Epsom because I thought Surbition was also affected. Slightly better then at any rate. Diversionary route knowledge needs sorting - didn't SWT / SWR and NR get a pasting about a lack of this only a couple of weerks ago?

20. theironroad

I've not read it all, but I think that it was mentioned in the Holden review into performance. No coastal depots or Salisbury sign via Chertsey, so thats not a great start...

21. 45107

45107 Member

As a Railway employee who has no connection with either SWR or RMT, I find your comments offensive and derogatory.

Can you produce evidence to backup your comment or is it another anti-union rant ?

22. Dieseldriver

Dieseldriver Member

Mate, just do what I'm doing, chill out and read those comments for the comedic value that they are. Edders23, if you believe a striking Guard has sabotaged the Signalling and Telecoms to disrupt the Railway then you should inform the British Transport Police immediately! I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear your theories :lol::lol::lol:

23. Edders23

Edders23 Member

I didn't mention staff I just said someone and it was a flippant comment NOT an accusation

24. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    Why would "someone" not on strike sabotage equipment on strike day? The inference in your post and the accusation within that inference is clear to everyone: You think a member of staff on strike sabotaged equipment. Disgraceful.

this post is little better!

25. Dieseldriver

Dieseldriver Member

OK so a random person (not a member of Railway Staff) has turned up to sabotage the Railway on a strike day by interfering with signalling equipment? They're not Railway Staff but it's no coincidence that they've done it on a strike day?
    Seriously let the BTP know, it sounds like with their help you'll crack the case