Major Disruption At Nottingham Due To Fire (12/01)

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by MG11, 12 Jan 2018.

1. MG11

MG11 On Moderation

There are no services to/from Nottingham, due to a fire. East Midlands Trains are advising passengers to avoid travel from Nottingham.
    Information From eastmidlandstrains.co.uk
    The information is correct as of 07:39 and may be subject to change.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. STANDISH

STANDISH Member

Just seen at 7.30am on TV. Large fire at this station. Passengers evacuated, assume no trains.

4. MG11

MG11 On Moderation

Rail replacement timetables will be advertised on eastmidlandstrains.co.uk, as soon as it is possible.

5. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

Looks quite bad!

6. STANDISH

STANDISH Member

Pictures can be seen on BBC news web site

7. westcoaster

westcoaster Established Member

No replacement buses and trams suspended. Due to road closures by the police.

8. brad465

brad465 Member

National rail think no trains will run till at least 12:00 on their service disruption, although they had tweeted before that it would be at least 10 so could easily be put back more.

9. Pakenhamtrain

Pakenhamtrain Member

Radio Nottingham have said it might not be open for the rest of the day.

10. whhistle

whhistle On Moderation

And thus the problem.

Passengers think the railway doesn't know what's happening - all the different estimates, different advice... But it's an evolving situation, so information is changing all the time.

I'd travel to Loughborough or East Midlands Parkway and get the Skylink bus.

Reported to have started in the ladies toilets on the concourse.

11. kevjs

kevjs Member

Trams were already suspended south of the Forest due to a police incident on Waverley Street (closed early this morning so few/no trams south of the closure). Radio Nottingham reporting there are no rail replacement bus services at the moment due to the road closures (in any case it sounds like traffic is bedlam from the south - queues back to Trent Bridge and Gamston Island)

http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/police-incident-closes-road-arboretum-1047649

12. james-martin

james-martin Member

Awful, it looks like a very large scale incident on the newly renovated part of the station? It seems estimates of 10 or 12 have not seen the photos to just say "until further notice" as all lines run under the bridge. I guess the temporary ticket hall portacabins might have to go back in place if it's the section I think it is.

I do hope that the reports of no injuries etc is correct.

13. kevjs

kevjs Member

14. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Oh dear. Nottingham Midland has some great architecture (including a parquet floor if I recall correctly).

I hope it's all restored properly.

15. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Established Member

If anyone starts moaning about EMT or NR not knowing what's going on then they're an idiot. It's a developing situation and clearly serious.

16. swills

swills Established Member

10 Appliances 50 Firefighters, station maybe closed all day after fire out to check integrity of the buildings. Rail Staff not allowed anywhere near currently, although FB did allow all stock to be moved away from the Station due to the risk of fire spreading to the units.

17. 221129

221129 Established Member

XC Rail replacement advice;

Customers please speak to station staff for further information and advise regarding onward travel.

Replacement road transport has been sourced by CrossCountry to run between Nottingham Jurys Inn Hotel (located on junction of London Road and Station Street) and Beeston, Long Eaton and Derby stations (in both directions) operating at regular intervals from 09:00hrs.

Replacement road transport for all other intermediate stations between Nottingham and Derby (in both directions) is being sourced by East Midlands Trains.

18. XCTurbostar

XCTurbostar Member

I doubt this is going be rectified by later today.

19. swills

swills Established Member

BBC are saying closed all day

20. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Established Member

Comparing photos and google earth image, looks like it's the southern section of the footbridge nearest the booking hall. Hopefully it can be contained there.

21. thejuggler

thejuggler Member

Once you get 50 firefighters on scene its a major incident. Damage will be extensive, if not from fire, from thousands of gallons of water. Integrity of the building, services etc will all have to be checked.

From that alone there should be an expectation that it will be days before services resume.

22. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

If you expect it to reopen today you're deluded. Think structural integrity.

23. james-martin

james-martin Member

I agree, that was my main point. If services can run in and out the other way (not under the concourse) then I assume would take quite a while to organise.

24. mushroomchow

mushroomchow Member

Interesting if true - are they inside or outside the ticket barriers? I've a friend who works as a guard on EMT based out of Nottingham, apparently there's a real problem with people smoking in the platform toilets since they cracked down on smoking on the platform there and a small number of passengers changing trains do it to avoid the faff of having to get their ticket out and leave the station for their nicotine fix.

Of course, anybody who actually knows Nottingham station knows you can leave via the footbridge and not have to worry about any of that.

25. gavin

gavin Member

VTEC are accepting EMT tickets via any reasonable route overhead wire damage at Stevenage has closed the northbound lines on the ECML

26. james-martin

james-martin Member

Sadly, the Fire service officer interviewed on BBC TV stated the fire was in the roof void so it is looking quite bad.

27. Clip

Clip On Moderation

The video on the bbc is in my eyes showing that its never going to be reopened today if at all by next week. Gonna take a while to check that roof- or what is going to be left of it

28. Mathew S

Mathew S Established Member

It's a short walk from m'colleagues office at BBC Nottingham. Believe it's a pretty huge fire and anecdotally guys are saying they'll be surprised if it's open again any time soon.

29. gavin

gavin Member

Fire has now spread to the roof firefighters still battling to bring it under control

30. Trainfan344

Trainfan344 Established Member

I presume Norwich to Liverpool services diverting via Melton and Derby would be one solution for trains? Calling at East Midlands parkway and Derby before Chesterfield?

31. mushroomchow

mushroomchow Member