• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major disruption on GWML (27/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Bad morning on the GWML into London this morning with TfL Rail Twitter desk reporting that services are suspended due to a derailment at West Ealing. They claim it is not one of their trains (presumably freight or GWR) and all lines are blocked.

Services were just resuming after a fire near the railway an hour earlier two stops down the line at Southall.

Not the best morning for GWML I take it.

APOLOGIES: Struggling to copy the Twitter information as a quote into this post due to being on phone. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dren Ahmeti

5Z16 0641 West Ealing EMU Sidings - Reading derailed at the exit of Loop 1 at West Ealing after passing SN227.
It then derailed on 8162 points.

Unit is most probably a 387 8/12 car.

Established Member
5Z16 0641 West Ealing EMU Sidings - Reading derailed at the exit of Loop 1 at West Ealing after passing SN227.
It then derailed on 8162 points.

Unit is most probably a 387 8/12 car.
Is this in any way a result of the 'signalling issues' that West Ealing has had on and off over the last few days (I. E. Issue with the points into the sidings)?

Dren Ahmeti

Is this in any way a result of the 'signalling issues' that West Ealing has had on and off over the last few days (I. E. Issue with the points into the sidings)?
The points did not cause the SPAD, SN227 was at danger.

83G/84D

Established Member
The fire reported by the OP was a suspected arson involving 2 carriages at West Coast Railways site at Southall.

Dren Ahmeti

Update: Train derailed on the catch point of 8162 and derailed by the first wheelset (front two wheels) of the leading bogie. Has come to rest towards the Hanwell up/down loop line.

Up Relief line reopened with trains being talked past SN232 on the up relief at Hanwell due to the track circuit interrupter being damaged (underneath the train!)

matt_world2004

Established Member
There was also a bad signal failure at Heathrow Airport yesterday evening. So the service has been spouted for two days.

Nippy

Not the first SPAD that's happened there. Although the first one I've heard of in 25 years to get to the traps.....

FGW_DID

Established Member
How can a driver possibly have a SPAD, and then not even realise they've had a SPAD?

Easy, they may have ‘read through’ and have been looking at another signal, they may not have even seen/looked at the signal.

One of our first SPADs on the depot, the shed depot protection (klaxons sounding/lights flashing) was operating, points where set to where they were expecting to go, previous unit had gone out same route, derailer was down so off they went. Completely ignoring the signal showing danger on the wall of the shed as they didn’t even look at it! It took an emergency call to stop the movement.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Like,

Trap and catch points are so confusing to the layman.

Trap Points = Stop trains that are moving forwards.
Catch Points = Stop trains that are rolling away backwards I.e down a gradient in the wrong direction.

kev1974

Catch Points = Stop trains that are rolling away backwards I.e down a gradient in the wrong direction.

Isn't it also the case that Trap Points are linked to the signalling and will be moved by the signalman / system as part of setting the accompanying green light.
Whereas Catch Points just sit there passively until a train or wagon going the wrong way "activates" them.

Carlisle

Established Member
Whereas Catch Points just sit there passively until a train or wagon going the wrong way "activates" them.
There’s surely almost no Catch Points left on main lines anywhere these days, given we’ve not had loose coupled freights operating for many decades now

ptreanor

Trap points generally default to the trap (throw off) position when no route is set over them for good reasons as the incident at Hanwell clearly shows.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
There’s surely almost no Catch Points left on main lines anywhere these days, given we’ve not had loose coupled freights operating for many decades now

Absolutely - and if there are , someone has made a major omission. In my day - many train crew and inspectors had a note of mileage and chains of them in their notebooks.

Absolute pain , however we were shown how to clip points properly by just putting an unsecured point clip on a trailing point (near Dinmore Tunnel on the Hereford line) , and watching the clip unscrew and fall off after a loaded northbound coal train went over. A great way to learn safely. We were then showed by the DI how to do it "properly" with the hasp secured by padlock. Lifetime lesson that.

Sunset route

Thank you for quoting me but I have quite a few trap points across the 10 panels I sign at my location, catch points were done away with in my part of the country many decades ago, but I did work a location the that had unworked trailing points on a main line junction (self actors points to give them their correct name). These were removed as part of a resignalling/migration scheme long after I had moved up the promotion pole. lol :lol:

Tomnick

Established Member
Isn't it also the case that Trap Points are linked to the signalling and will be moved by the signalman / system as part of setting the accompanying green light.
Catch points can be worked too. I suppose there’s a debate to be had where you’ve got an example at the entry to a loop (to catch anything running back along the loop). There’s certainly a few examples of sprung catch points in recent history that could be worked (by a slotted joint) for a signalled move over them in the facing direction, though.

Aictos

Established Member
Which according to Twitter, the train in question although was obviously a ECS had people claiming they were passengers onboard it - I like to hear how they boarded in the first place.... o_O

spark001uk

Established Member
Which according to Twitter, the train in question although was obviously a ECS had people claiming they were passengers onboard it - I like to hear how they boarded in the first place.... o_O
Staff perhaps?

Aictos

Established Member
Staff perhaps?

No def non staff especially considering the way they were slamming GWR for their poor handling of the incident and how badly they were affected as a result.

No staff worth their salt would take to social media and slam them in that way unless they wanted their P45 post haste!

Aictos

Established Member
Any chance of a link to the relevant tweets please?

I love to comply but funnily enough they seem to have disappeared BUT they def existed as Twitter exploded with various anti GWR tweets and that was just one highlight.

Nippy

Think the tweet was deleted and the person has deactivated their account. I've seen a screen shot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.