Major Engineering Works on the Douro .Valley line from Porto

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by Diplodicus, 18 Jan 2019.

1. 30907

30907 Established Member

From recent experience the 0915 from Porto can get busy - it was the only train in the valley with standing passengers when 3 cars only - but nothing else does (apart from commuter trains at the Porto end).
    You should be able to book tickets on the CP website, which tells me that Porto to Pocinho is EUR13.50, however there's no particular advantage. Trains are 2nd class only, ex-RENFE "Camel" DMUs.
    If you are lucky, the Miradouro set may be in normal traffic on one of the IR workings.

OT: as you are staying in Pocinho, I recommend a visit to the Foz Coa prehistoric rock art site.

2. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

Just thought I would add this item from Railway Gazette in July, confirming completion of electrification extensions on the Douro and Minho lines.
    https://www.railwaygazette.com/news...n-portugal.html?sword_list[]=douro&no_cache=1
    I don't know if the timetable on the DB site is fully up to date, but through trains are still shown to the Douro valley line, with some extra services requiring a change from EMU to DMU at the new OHL limit at Marco de Canaveses.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2019
  3. 30907

30907 Established Member

The CP website shows the IR services running through. The all-stations locals run Marcos to Regua with connections from the Porto S-trains (@Diplodicus: this affects Barquieros).

4. Giugiaro

Giugiaro Member

Oh b******* I wasn't watching the thread.
    Yes, you can do all this by train. I would only like to ask if your stay is nearer to Barqueiros or Rede, Barqueiros only has regional trains stopping, while Interregional only stop at Rede.
    Yes, You can buy all tickets in advance from the local ticket office.

There is no class differentiation in Regional and Interregional trains. There IS a price difference between Regional and Interregional, but the only thing that changes is the speed and number of stops and the fact that regionals only start from Marco de Canaveses (arrival by Suburban). Everything else (rolling stock, interiors, [lack of] offers, etc.) is exactly the same.

The only exception is the Early Morning R 4000 and the Late Night R 4001, which run between Régua and Porto-Campanhã and also does Suburban service along the way.

The official timetable is attached below.

Attached Files: