• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major problems at London Bridge on Tuesday 3rd March

Status
Not open for further replies.

BzRail

I would have thought it was blatantly obvious. My first reaction on hearing there's disruption out of Victoria would be 'I'm going nowhere near London Bridge', because it's always busy, it's worse because of the rebuilding and any additional traffic is going to cause scenes like those reported.

I would not have worded it quite so bluntly because it is not always 'blatantly obvious'. It is a judgement call where to go based on information provided. The reason the crowding was so bad was that very few trains were departing London Bridge, a fact hidden by the rail companies. You are correct that it is always very busy, and it doesn't take much disruption elsewhere to create a crowd. There is a big difference however between a crowd that is moving and one which is static or massively growing resulting in use of herding pens or station closure.

Most passengers I heard, or spoke to, could not understand why a problem on a completely different line was affecting London Bridge so badly. Where was the Brighton train that only had to come from sidings in Streatham (if that is correct?). I did explain to some it was probably congestion or staff displacement. But, as I wrote before, the whole system seems designed to be fragile. With the limited capacity at London Bridge, just one missing train crew seems to block a platform and cause chaos.

Anyway, I don't wish to start an argument. I think we are all just as annoyed and frustrated as each other, and it shows. Let's hope the rest of the week is much better.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
All the pictures I've seen (mainly the ones on the DM article posted above) show a significant number of people, but all with plenty of space, just standing still looking down at their phones. No one pushing or shoving. I dread to think how these people would feel at a concert or a nightclub if they consider that dangerous...

Exactly I was there and appeared on the video the BBC used looking down at my phone, I didn't think it was dangerous at all. Very over dramatised by the press etc.

The gate vaulting occurred when the trains started again but people could see them but couldn't get to them as the gates were closed - very different to what was being claimed. The big issue was that it could take 10 minutes to get to a train after it was announced and passengers didn't want to miss a service given how few there were operating.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Which would then crush load the platforms due to the amount of people on them. The trains werent there due to disruption and then when the trains did arrive, you have got to get people off them safely. With a platform full of commuters, that wouldnt happen as they would force themselves onto the train.

If people waited patiently, none of this would ever happen.

Agreed. I got caught at Birmingham New Street in a similar crowd in November/December on a Saturday when the German market was on and a wave of people heading towards a train met head on with a wave of people who just got off a train on the stairs down to the platforms. Nobody could move for about twenty minutes. It could have been prevented if the crowd attempting to board had been held back like at London Bridge but of course, people see the first crowd and just decide the obvious thing to do is to let them go where they want. Often that can lead to bigger problems.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The reason the crowding was so bad was that very few trains were departing London Bridge, a fact hidden by the rail companies.

It's not hidden, it's available for all to see on Real train times.

If my maths is right, of the 71 trains due to leave the low level platforms between 1600-2000 58 left between those hours. That's an average of one very 4 minutes. Hardly 'very few'.

The reason the crowding was so bad was actually because 2-3 times as many people turned up at London Bridge expecting to get on a Southern train than are normally expected.

hwl

Established Member
Agreed. I got caught at Birmingham New Street in a similar crowd in November/December on a Saturday when the German market was on and a wave of people heading towards a train met head on with a wave of people who just got off a train on the stairs down to the platforms. Nobody could move for about twenty minutes. It could have been prevented if the crowd attempting to board had been held back like at London Bridge but of course, people see the first crowd and just decide the obvious thing to do is to let them go where they want. Often that can lead to bigger problems.

LBG should improve next year when the street level concourse opens for the terminating platforms so they could run the platform escalators in the down direction in the evening peak so the passenger flow from the existing gate line to the third car from the buffers should improve lots so trains can board quicker overall.

BzRail

It's not hidden, it's available for all to see on Real train times.

If my maths is right, of the 71 trains due to leave the low level platforms between 1600-2000 58 left between those hours. That's an average of one very 4 minutes. Hardly 'very few'.

The reason the crowding was so bad was actually because 2-3 times as many people turned up at London Bridge expecting to get on a Southern train than are normally expected.

I think you need to stop bending the facts, when I left work trains were all showing 'on time', with the exception of one earlier cancellation. No reports of the disruption which was obviously occurring. If you are referring to realtimetrains or live departure boards accessed over the mobile network, do you realise how congested the network is in such a crowd? It was just timing out for me. Even with this information just seeing 'delayed' with some generic message is very little help to anyone.

Somebody in Southern knew where the trains were and why they were delayed, they CHOSE not to share it and instead we get effectively blank screens.

I will re-iterate, when I was there, very few trains were leaving. When you start quoting averages over 4 hours you sound like a politician spinning BS. I was probably lucky and got away within 40 minutes of arriving, so admit I only have a small snapshot of the bigger picture.

Like many here, I do respect and appreciate the information you provide, and I know it cannot be an easy job, but responses like this just p*ss people off.

The railway industry needs to learn basic communication skills and customer (passenger) service. Given timely and accurate information the cargo can help itself to a far greater extent.

neilm

I agree with BzRail there was nothing on twitter or national rail saying anything about avoiding lbg and everything was 'on time'

The concourse was so congested you couldn't get a train even if you wanted to.

But anyway I appreciate the info you supply here bald rick.

hwl

Established Member
. If you are referring to realtimetrains or live departure boards accessed over the mobile network, do you realise how congested the network is in such a crowd? It was just timing out for me. Even with this information just seeing 'delayed' with some generic message is very little help to anyone....

The mobile networks were overload in the vicinity of LBG on Tuesday night so the info wasn't available to most passengers - there needs to be more display boards away from the NR station itself.

Also DfT considering a London Bridge compensation scheme:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31749063

" The Conservative rail minister replied: "I completely agree what is required is a compensation scheme and that is something we are currently looking at."

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
NR's David Ward (SE Area Manager) has announced on video on the BBC News web site that the concourse will be re-modelled in the next 72 hours to alleviate congestion, so it will be interesting to see how the layout changes. Of course if there are further PUTs and/or infrastructure failures, the problem will presumably recur, no matter how big the concourse is.

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
I would not have worded it quite so bluntly because it is not always 'blatantly obvious'. It is a judgement call where to go based on information provided.
To me, it is. If the information provided is 'no trains from Victoria', and only that, I would still avoid London Bridge like the plague.

sarahj

Established Member
I have to admit, on Tuesday my phone was buzzing non stop with messages. They all were about delays to trains coming in and out of victoria. If there was a mention of overcrowding at London Bridge, I never saw it. However it could have been buried in one of the many many messages that came through.

As an aside, I was down in the Littlehampton / Bognor area at the time. I went to work a train from Lit to Bog, had a train, had some passengers. just one problem, my driver was passing Hove. Because control was so busy sorting out the Vic mess, little trains putting around the west coast had been forgotten. Now i admit, thats bad communication, and my few passengers were miffed when i told them we are not going anywhere. however with control and the PM's around the area trying to match up staff and trains, I as staff can see the issues, but the punter on the ground cannot. and with the staff in control being so busy, there was know one to change the CIS screens or update RT on this little shuttle service. It was only 1 min before departure that i knew i did not even have a driver, and 3 after that i found out where they were.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I have to admit, on Tuesday my phone was buzzing non stop with messages. They all were about delays to trains coming in and out of victoria. If there was a mention of overcrowding at London Bridge, I never saw it. However it could have been buried in one of the many many messages that came through.

As an aside, I was down in the Littlehampton / Bognor area at the time. I went to work a train from Lit to Bog, had a train, had some passengers. just one problem, my driver was passing Hove. Because control was so busy sorting out the Vic mess, little trains putting around the west coast had been forgotten. Now i admit, thats bad communication, and my few passengers were miffed when i told them we are not going anywhere. however with control and the PM's around the area trying to match up staff and trains, I as staff can see the issues, but the punter on the ground cannot. and with the staff in control being so busy, there was know one to change the CIS screens or update RT on this little shuttle service. It was only 1 min before departure that i knew i did not even have a driver, and 3 after that i found out where they were.

The trouble is, every time things go wrong we, the passengers, are told when we complain that "we at (insert TOC name) know that accurate information is important and we are working hard to improve matters", but, every subsequent time things go wrong, the same happens. There just doesn't seem to be any contingency for "emergency" situations, so the resources to update the information aren't available. It's as bad for the staff on the ground/train and they often bear the brunt of the passengers' anger.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To me, it is. If the information provided is 'no trains from Victoria', and only that, I would still avoid London Bridge like the plague.

So; Victoria is down, London Bridge is down, where would you go, assuming you had to be somewhere and couldn't, say, sit in a pub or stay in a hotel? I think most people will go to the natural normal alternative if one station/route is ruled out and they are not told that their alternative is not, after all, a viable alternative.

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
So; Victoria is down, London Bridge is down, where would you go, assuming you had to be somewhere and couldn't, say, sit in a pub or stay in a hotel? I think most people will go to the natural normal alternative if one station/route is ruled out and they are not told that their alternative is not, after all, a viable alternative.
It would depend on destination, but possibilities include:
Cannon Street.
DLR to Lewisham.
Wimbledon, then tram to East Croydon.
Victoria coach station for Gatwick or Brighton.
Buses to get as far as possible (which again would probably be Croydon).
Paddington or Waterloo to Reading, onto Redhill.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Cannon Street.
DLR to Lewisham.

All perfectly valid, but the point is that the vast majority of passengers wouldn't have these alternatives in mind and, without any information, wouldn't be aware that London Bridge would be quite so awful, so would go there as their first choice.

Antman

Established Member
All the pictures I've seen (mainly the ones on the DM article posted above) show a significant number of people, but all with plenty of space, just standing still looking down at their phones. No one pushing or shoving. I dread to think how these people would feel at a concert or a nightclub if they consider that dangerous...

Well I can't imagine that people were 'limbo dancing' under the barriers for the fun of it especially as there were no trains running.

Of course opinions might vary on what is or isn't a dangerous situation.

So would I but presumably a lot of people wouldn't have been aware of the situation at London Bridge?

neilm

Well I can't imagine that people were 'limbo dancing' under the barriers for the fun of it especially as there were no trains running.

Of course opinions might vary on what is or isn't a dangerous situation.

So would I but presumably a lot of people wouldn't have been aware of the situation at London Bridge?
No one knew as southern\network rail\national rail did not mention anything about problems. As Sarah mentioned as well it seems staff did not get alerts either.

BzRail

All perfectly valid, but the point is that the vast majority of passengers wouldn't have these alternatives in mind and, without any information, wouldn't be aware that London Bridge would be quite so awful, so would go there as their first choice.

Not forgetting there was no alternate ticket acceptance in place for London Bridge (at the time many went there). So it was just Southern or Thameslink from the core. As there are now half the number of Thameslink trains to Brighton (from the core) in the evening, that has become less appealing.

EM2

Established Member
I can't speak for other people, but with the publicity that there's been about LBG since the rebuilding started, I wouldn't need to know how awful it was, I would simply avoid it. I would immediately knock it off my list of alternatives.
Even if it was as quiet as the grave ten minutes before VIC fell over, as soon as it did it would be obvious to me that LBG is where a lot of people would go, so to make my life easier, I would not.

Antman

Established Member
No one knew as southern\network rail\national rail did not mention anything about problems. As Sarah mentioned as well it seems staff did not get alerts either.

I meant the long term work at London Bridge, I know it has been widely advertised but somebody who doesn't normally travel that way and isn't a railway enthusiast probably wouldn't take much notice of it.

sarahj

Established Member
Not forgetting there was no alternate ticket acceptance in place for London Bridge (at the time many went there). So it was just Southern or Thameslink from the core. As there are now half the number of Thameslink trains to Brighton (from the core) in the evening, that has become less appealing.

Actually, within about 10-15 of the incident being reported there was full alt ticket acceptance on the lot. When LO went down, we are accepting tickets. not much point admittedly, but it was there. And this came through every 10 mins. (to us yes, but others get the same feed)

FOH

All the website said was delays through Streatham due to a passenger hit by a train and delays of 20 minutes between London Bridge and East Croydon.

Since Streatham is nothing to do with London Bridge and 20 minute delays to East Croydon isn't unusual I honestly didn't expect to see what I saw.

themeone

Things must have worsened very quickly at LBG on Tuesday evening. I got there about 1728. We had to snake through some barriers to get into the station, and it was more crowded than usual, but I got on the train I'd planned to travel on (1732 to Horsham), which then departed about 8 mins late.

I guess I was just lucky.

Class 170101

Established Member
I think I read above that the East London Line was suspended between Highbury and Crystal Palace / West Croydon at the same time due to a failed train at Hoxton.

I thought a Crossover facility had been installed at Shadwell? Could trains have not run between Shadwell and Crystal Palace / West Croydon?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Things must have worsened very quickly at LBG on Tuesday evening. I got there about 1728. We had to snake through some barriers to get into the station, and it was more crowded than usual, but I got on the train I'd planned to travel on (1732 to Horsham), which then departed about 8 mins late.

I guess I was just lucky.

Nope you had the experience that many people had.
I think you need to stop bending the facts, when I left work trains were all showing 'on time', with the exception of one earlier cancellation. No reports of the disruption which was obviously occurring. If you are referring to realtimetrains or live departure boards accessed over the mobile network, do you realise how congested the network is in such a crowd? It was just timing out for me. Even with this information just seeing 'delayed' with some generic message is very little help to anyone.

Somebody in Southern knew where the trains were and why they were delayed, they CHOSE not to share it and instead we get effectively blank screens.

I will re-iterate, when I was there, very few trains were leaving. When you start quoting averages over 4 hours you sound like a politician spinning BS. I was probably lucky and got away within 40 minutes of arriving, so admit I only have a small snapshot of the bigger picture.

Like many here, I do respect and appreciate the information you provide, and I know it cannot be an easy job, but responses like this just p*ss people off.

The railway industry needs to learn basic communication skills and customer (passenger) service. Given timely and accurate information the cargo can help itself to a far greater extent.

Clearly I don't intend to p*ss anyone off so apologies if it comes over that way.

And I wholly agree that the comms were not good and need improving. In mitigation I would argue that comms have never been good in situations like Tuesday's, whilst in the past couple of years twitter and other apps have given people the ability to know more than the railway team in the front line. Not an excuse, but a reality that needs addressing.

Regarding the train service, it is simply not true to say that few or no trains ran. More than three quarters of the peak did run, some of it was delayed, but it still ran. True there were some large gaps in the service to some destinations, equally, many destinations had a reasonable service.

Talking about this in the office today, none of us could recall a time when both the ELL and Victoria offered no effective service for the evening peak. It is fair to say that had this happened 4 years ago, the result would have been the same.

al78

Established Member
Cannon Street.
DLR to Lewisham.

What would be a feasible way to get to Horsham without using London Bridge or Victoria stations?

My immediate thought would be to attempt to get to East Croydon but all the trains stopping there and going to Horsham would be coming from those two termini anyway.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What would be a feasible way to get to Horsham without using London Bridge or Victoria stations?

My immediate thought would be to attempt to get to East Croydon but all the trains stopping there and going to Horsham would be coming from those two termini anyway.

Blackfriars to Three Bridges and change, or Waterloo to Dorking and change.

Accepting in both cases that the Horsham trains should originate from London Bridge or Vic, but the trains were still running from the former, and a couple might have started from Croydon or Three Bridges (I don't know in this case).

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

I wasn't there, and can only go by what I've read about the situation. However it seems extraordinarily implausible that someone would choose not to show information about delays. What possible gain for Southern would there be in not showing information about train delays, knowing what the likely consequences would be? Far more likely that any failure to show information would have been unintended.

21C101

Established Member
I would not have worded it quite so bluntly because it is not always 'blatantly obvious'. It is a judgement call where to go based on information provided. The reason the crowding was so bad was that very few trains were departing London Bridge, a fact hidden by the rail companies. You are correct that it is always very busy, and it doesn't take much disruption elsewhere to create a crowd. There is a big difference however between a crowd that is moving and one which is static or massively growing resulting in use of herding pens or station closure.

Most passengers I heard, or spoke to, could not understand why a problem on a completely different line was affecting London Bridge so badly. Where was the Brighton train that only had to come from sidings in Streatham (if that is correct?). I did explain to some it was probably congestion or staff displacement. But, as I wrote before, the whole system seems designed to be fragile. With the limited capacity at London Bridge, just one missing train crew seems to block a platform and cause chaos.

Anyway, I don't wish to start an argument. I think we are all just as annoyed and frustrated as each other, and it shows. Let's hope the rest of the week is much better.

Thameslink and Tramlink are your friends at a time like this.

BzRail

Actually, within about 10-15 of the incident being reported there was full alt ticket acceptance on the lot. When LO went down, we are accepting tickets. not much point admittedly, but it was there. And this came through every 10 mins. (to us yes, but others get the same feed)

Thank you for the information.

I believe you, but this was not communicated to the public for London Bridge. Maybe it was later on, but not when I left work and had to make a decision where to travel from. Once at London Bridge there was no useful information provided, and the mobile network was overloaded, so no online status either.

For Victoria passengers then yes, it was reported. But since my ticket is probably not valid from there anyway, it was of little use.

To be fair to you, I would normally assume acceptance was in place anyway in times of trouble for Southern, Thameslink and SWT. Bus and Tube however are a different matter.
I wasn't there, and can only go by what I've read about the situation. However it seems extraordinarily implausible that someone would choose not to show information about delays. What possible gain for Southern would there be in not showing information about train delays, knowing what the likely consequences would be? Far more likely that any failure to show information would have been unintended.

It does sound 'extraordinarily implausible' I agree, but it keeps happening. It 'can' happen 2 or 3 times a week. Before leaving work I check the disruptions pages to decide whether to use London Bridge, Waterloo/Clapham Junction or Blackfriars/Thameslink core. Time and time again I get to the station 15 minutes later and find a problem which had not been communicated. Sometimes it is minor, other times serious, and clearly had occurred long before I checked.

I, and I am sure others, also check the live departure boards very carefully. Any sign of delayed trains (even on other routes) may give a clue. You may find a 'This train has been delayed by xxx' which is not shown on the main disruption page. Checking the progress of an inbound train to London Bridge is another example. We should not need to do this detective work. Oh and are we supposed to check Twitter, FaceBook and every other damned data feed as well before we travel?

If a TOC has the information and decide not to publish it in a timely manner then that is a choice. If they decide not to have staff available to update public information, that is a choice. Probably a commercial decision to save money, I don't know.

Most commuters are quite resourceful. Given timely and accurate information they will find an alternate route *if* they can. This lightens the load on the TOC in the problem area, results in fewer Delay Repay claims to process, and we get home earlier than we otherwise would.

Perhaps it is over reliance on automated information systems these days. When train and platform staff have the information, and make manual announcements they usually do a brilliant job of keeping people informed. It is just too rare.
Nope you had the experience that many people had.

Clearly I don't intend to p*ss anyone off so apologies if it comes over that way.

And I wholly agree that the comms were not good and need improving. In mitigation I would argue that comms have never been good in situations like Tuesday's, whilst in the past couple of years twitter and other apps have given people the ability to know more than the railway team in the front line. Not an excuse, but a reality that needs addressing.

Regarding the train service, it is simply not true to say that few or no trains ran. More than three quarters of the peak did run, some of it was delayed, but it still ran. True there were some large gaps in the service to some destinations, equally, many destinations had a reasonable service.

Talking about this in the office today, none of us could recall a time when both the ELL and Victoria offered no effective service for the evening peak. It is fair to say that had this happened 4 years ago, the result would have been the same.

I can only assume I was caught in one of those gaps then. All I said was very few were leaving at the time I was there. I fully accept they may have left later on.

Not trying to shift the argument, but the train I eventually boarded was crush loaded, and seemed to leave quite a few people behind. The Brighton service due out next was cancelled. So I would imagine some people had to wait much longer than me, others would have had a much easier time as you had said.

On the subject of comms -

I think part of the problem is that it is assumed passengers will all use Twitter and other apps as it is the modern cool source of information. Things to remember are :-

Not everyone has a smart-phone and/or knows how or wishes to use Twitter.

Twitter is very 'noisy' when I have tried to used it. Trying to filter useful information from the rants and other chit-chat can be hard.

As others have also said, the mobile networks get overloaded in a crowd like London Bridge on Tuesday, so (almost?) nobody can access any information.

We need a single source of accurate and timely information and not have to play detective across a variety of apps and websites, which as noted above may not be accessible anyway.

The TOCS have a lot more information than they are passing on to the passengers and even their own staff on the ground. As discussed in another posting this is their choice. They could have person(s) dedicated to providing information to the passengers and staff at stations, for manual announcements or display, but they typically don't. Okay some of it may be inaccurate and subject to change, but that's far better than what we saw on Tuesday at LBG. The occasional train popped up on the departure screen just before it entered the platform. Did nobody know it was coming until that time? This late notice made it extremely hard for the platform staff trying to manage the crowd and provide to an exit route for arriving passengers.

So yes, comms. does need addressing. Perhaps some senior rail industry bods need to spend some time on the ground for an extended period, in the crowds, with the same level of information as the normal cargo, maybe understanding will improve.

Anyway, keep discussing. Despite being p*ssed off, I still respect and value what you have to say.

Cheers,
Barry.

Clip

Established Member
Whilst I am not trying to absolve NR and Southern for the chaos here but it was a pure issue of things just falling apart all together and when that happens exactly what do you expect them to do with limited platforms at London Bridge?

Also if there are crowds and people are at the front being crushed then where is the outrage for those at the back and middle who, through their own selfishness, were obviously pushing forward and wanting to get a train at any cost? Just how desperate are you to get home that oyu have to do that? Id have gone to the pub or at least went back outside to get out of it and wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.