• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major problems between Sheffield and Swinton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Surprised nobody has posted about the signalling problems in the Sheffield area. Has been absolute chaos since about 1900, trains diverting via Tinsley away from Meadowhall but with severe delays. Information from Northern utter rubbish with people stuck at Meadowhall. No announcements about the situation with diverted trains showing as delayed rather than cancelled (which they were from Meadowhall). Just took a very late running Nottingham service and there was no announcement that the train would terminate as Sheffield. Passengers were left with no information, and I helped 2 girls who needed onward transport to Dronfield.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

syorksdeano

Must have caught the tail end of this last night. Was travelling from Leeds to Sheffield (already running late due to no crew) and stopped at Swinton. Then carried on until the guard come running down the train shouting "anyone for Rotherham, we have been wrong routed". Missed Rotherham but proceeded through a red light just before the level crossing.

Looks like Northern 'forgot' to tell the crew of the problem.

redthunder

Yesterday was chaos between Leeds & Sheffield

2 broken down trains earlier that day (Outwood & Bolton-on-Dearne) then of course the Cable theft near Swinton & Rotherham

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The theft of Signalling Cables seems to be quite frequent in this area. I don't know what else can be tried to reduce the problem.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hjzgei

Shoot on site snipers placed at strategic locations along the line.

I saw the bit about the wrong type of water on the line in west yorks.

I presume these same people would be happy if the banking collapsed under flood conditions and they were on the train....

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was thinking of some kind of mechanism like you have on a Manhole Cover, but lockable.

It'll slow them down (and probably not by much) not stop them, they really don't care one bit as long as they get to the copper.

WestRiding

god, i love some of the coments on here.
why are cables not in troughing? They are, they gypsy's smash it up.
why not lay cable in the 6ft? Well that would affect the train service when it needs maintainence, having to stop the running of trains.
conductor running down the train telling the public that they have been 'wrong routed' (first class idiot employee). we could not run trains down towards rotherham central, as the points at holmes junction were locked normal by the track circuit failures caused by the cable theft.
If there is one thing this industry does not need, it is some idiot conductor telling the public duff info. None of Northerns drivers and kitkat sellers sign the route via woodburn jn, so they could have gone down to rotherham from aldwarke jn, but no further. Rant over.

Status
Not open for further replies.