• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major Road Junctions Discussion, and Comparison Between UK and Other Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlogax

Established Member
I don't disagree - but think the issue is it's a junction between an A road and a Motorway - so whilst a 'free flowing' junction would have been more desirable, it would also have caused the problem of non-motorway traffic ending up on the motorway...... If you look along the M25 the motorway to motorway junctions are far better than the motorway to 'A' road junctions are.

Junctions should really be designed with the reality of the intersecting roads in mind and not based upon their A or M designation. That stretch of the A3 is D3M and always has been since Wisley Interchange came into existence.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
Junctions should really be designed with the reality of the intersecting roads in mind and not based upon their A or M designation. That stretch of the A3 is D3M and always has been since Wisley Interchange came into existence.

BIB - I assume you mean A3M - but that's not correct. The only bit of the A3 designated as the A3M is Horndean where it joins the A27.

A0wen

On Moderation

ABB125

Established Member
I don't disagree - but think the issue is it's a junction between an A road and a Motorway - so whilst a 'free flowing' junction would have been more desirable, it would also have caused the problem of non-motorway traffic ending up on the motorway...... If you look along the M25 the motorway to motorway junctions are far better than the motorway to 'A' road junctions are.
I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem - as long as the signs make it clear that non-motorway traffic should stay on the A3 and not turn off.

BIB - I assume you mean A3M - but that's not correct. The only bit of the A3 designated as the A3M is Horndean where it joins the A27.

D3M I think means dual carriageway, 3 lanes each way, i.e. basically physically a motorway if not legally.
Yes. Perhaps I should explain:
  • S2 is a "normal" single carriageway road (ie: two lanes, one in each direction)
  • Other variants include S1 (single-track road), S3 ("suicide lane") and S4 (two lanes in each direction, but no central reservation). Also S2+1, a variant of S3 where it's clearly marked out as two lanes in one direction, and one in the other, rather than a middle lane which can be used in either direction.
  • WS2 is the wide single carriageway which is sort-of like S3, but only with two marked lanes, so you might end op with people overtaking in both directions at the same time. WS2+1 is a more modern version of S2+1.
  • D2 is what most people would call a "dual carriageway", ie: two lanes in each direction, with a central reservation.
  • D3 is as above, but with 3 lanes each way, ditto D4, D5, D6 etc.
  • Appending an M (D2M, D3M etc) is generally used to indicate the presence of a hard shoulder (but contrary to popular belief doesn't mean it's a motorway)
  • D1 is very rare, there are some examples in this thread: https://railforums.co.uk/threads/ro...-carriageway-but-have-been-downgraded.215746/
EDIT: also, for interest, I believe something like this is referred to as D3+3

In which case it still isn't D3M - this Highways England report refers to it as D3AP https://highwaysengland.citizenspac...rovement/results/scheme-assessment-report.pdf

And that means non-motorway vehicles - such as farm vehicles or 50cc motorcycles or learner drivers *can* use the road, which they can't if it were a motorway.
Highways England like to add "AP" to show that it isn't a motorway, but no-one else does.

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
The US initially went with cloverleaves for the reasons you outlined, but soon learned that instead of keeping things simple they had the scope and budgets to make things as fiendishly complex and nightmarish as possible. The complex of interchanges in the vicinity of the NJ Turnpike, I-78, US1&9 and Newark Airport is by far my favourite. As a once-regular user of this concrete spaghetti it was pretty insane to navigate. No combination of free-flowing ramps could ease the traffic snarl-ups, and for those new to the interchanges or for those who didn't possess quick road wits it was confusion city and caused no end of accidents.

View attachment 94058

I rather love it, though it's much nicer to look at from above than from the driver's seat. In spite of myself I always admire the US tendency to let rip with complex road infrastructure almost on a 'because we can' basis. You have to wonder how the UK would have dealt with a similar setup. Half a dozen tri-stacked roundabout junctions a la the M25 / A3?
That's definitely a mega junction :)

Not driven much in the North Eastern US (just one trip in New York state/Vermont/Massachusetts), but I've done a good few trips to the LA area and some of the freeway junctions can be a bit of a 'gritted teeth' nightmare - slip roads coming off both sides of carriageway, complicated signage and six lanes of nose-to-tail traffic to get across at times to reach the exit or other freeway you want...

Even apparently simple junctions can be quite complex - one I've been through lots of times is the I15 - I215 (plus local roads) junction at the bottom of Cajon Pass (just NW of San Bernardino) - https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...7c6788c87c28d!8m2!3d34.1083449!4d-117.2897652

Part of the problem with it (apart from the sheer density of traffic on I15) is that the actual split between I15 and I215 (going southbound) happens at the previous junction, so if it's one of the local roads you need to get to, you have to make sure to move onto the correct interstate at that point. Needless to say I've got it wrong several times - I've got quite familiar with some of the local roads as I've navigated back to where I wanted to be...

nlogax

Established Member
Even apparently simple junctions can be quite complex - one I've been through lots of times is the I15 - I215 (plus local roads) junction at the bottom of Cajon Pass (just NW of San Bernardino) - https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...7c6788c87c28d!8m2!3d34.1083449!4d-117.2897652
I've driven that one a few times too. Deceptively fiendish but it's got a lovely flow to it which is extra nice with the valley rising on both sides..pretty dramatic. Still prefer taking the pass via Amtrak though!

ac6000cw

Established Member
Still prefer taking the pass via Amtrak though!
Done that myself a couple of times - loco headlights illuminating the rock formations at night as you climb...

The better 'enthusiast' road to take is Cajon Blvd of course (a remnant of old 'Route 66') - you can pace the frequent double-stack trains climbing out of out of San Bernardino at the bottom and then take your pick of pull-offs further up to watch (and listen to) them go by... :)

ABB125

Established Member
Done that myself a couple of times - loco headlights illuminating the rock formations at night as you climb...

The better 'enthusiast' road to take is Cajon Blvd of course (a remnant of old 'Route 66') - you can pace the frequent double-stack trains climbing out of out of San Bernardino at the bottom and then take your pick of pull-offs further up to watch (and listen to) them go by... :)
At some point in the future I'm going to go on a USA trip, both to see their rail network and (getting back on topic!) road network. I could probably easily spend years exploring...

Metrolink

Following on from the London Ringways thread, the topic of cloverleaf junctions came up.
For those of you who haven't (yet!) reached the point where road junctions are a really exciting topic (:D), here's a diagram of one for you to look at:
View attachment 94050
There are only two examples in the UK, in Redditch and in Livingston (the next junction north from this used to also be a cloverleaf, but for some reason was changed to what it's like now). Neither are on what could be termed as fast, high capacity or strategic roads, which may explain their limitations. In continental Europe and North America however, they are very common: in Germany, for example, it's very difficult to find a 4-way Autobahn junction which isn't either a cloverleaf, used to be a cloverleaf but has since been upgraded, of is a cloverleaf-derivative - and these examples are often only different because of limiting geography, such as this one. There are also amusing examples, such as here, where the road was quite clearly meant to continue north through the cloverleaf, but was never built, resulting in a bodge.
The main issues with cloverleaves are that traffic coming off one loop has to cross over traffic leaving via the next loop, with horrendous consequences for capacity as a result, the tight loops, and the large land-take. They are, however, easy and cheap to build (only one bridge): I think this is the main reason why they're so prevalent in countries like Germany with very old motorway networks - there are comparatively few engineering challenges. And the land take isn't too much of an issue: if you were a 1930s German landowner, would you say nein to der Fuehrer? Probably not! In the USA, land is plentiful, hence the large number of cloverleaves.
The weaving problems caused by cloverleaves can be substantially reduced by adding parallel carriageways for turning traffic - virtually all German cloverleaves have been upgraded in this way. You can even do this - a fully grade-separated cloverleaf - but obviously that's only been done because ripping out the existing junction and replacing it with something more suitable would be far too disruptive.

Having rambled on for far too long by now, I've forgotten the point I was going to make! :D Hopefully someone will find this interesting, and subsequent replies may cause my memory to start working again!

(This thread isn't just limited to cloverleaf junctions, by the way, fee free to discuss other designs!)
I think you have hit my area of expertise here. From what I know around Manchester and Cheshire, is that the junctions are different, and generally more complicated and selective. For example the M56/M6 junction near Lymm in Cheshire, has restricted answer so E - S slip road doesn’t exist. Whereas Germany and USA are more simple, the British Planners are more inclusive of all the roads and different journeys. To elaborate, the junctions abroad are more geometric like the cloverleaf, the British ones are built to match the terrain or landscape, avoid certain buildings, or include other roads e.g (again) the M56/M6 junction where access is given to the A50, however it might pan out differently in different countries: they could build junctions in different positions, or avoid building junctions due to cost cutting. I would compare the UKs motorway junctions to ones of urban America e.g the Newark airport junction and lots more.
The rest of the US is more ring roads and geometrics and design, especially in medium towns or cities such as Denver or Greenville, SC is another good example. Contrastingly, when it comes to simple junctions, we build bog-standard roundabouts, we don’t really use cloverleaf junctions for small cities and towns like America.

Sorry if I bored you all, got a bit carried away there...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To be fair you can go M6-M56 (E) at that junction, and nor is it particularly tortuous to do so. The reason not to do it (and why it isn't signed) is that the A556 cuts the corner off so saves time.

Last edited:

Metrolink

To be fair you can go M6-M56 (E) at that junction, and nor is it particularly tortuous to do so. The reason not to do it (and why it isn't signed) is that the A556 cuts the corner off so saves time.

Actually there isn’t and that’s why they had to upgrade the A556 because the traffic was horrendous.

Attachments

• 2635D2E4-65C8-4BAB-8652-F18CFB519302.jpeg
    2635D2E4-65C8-4BAB-8652-F18CFB519302.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 19

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Actually there isn’t and that’s why they had to upgrade the A556 because the traffic was horrendous.

Didn't know the traffic was related, but you definitely can do it and I have, you go off, round both roundabouts and back on.

The A556 is quicker because it's half the distance.

ABB125

Established Member
Didn't know the traffic was related, but you definitely can do it and I have, you go off, round both roundabouts and back on.

A bit like the A1(M)/M62 junction at Ferrybridge: three turning movements are facilitated by the new free-flow bit, but if you want to go between south and east you have to use the old junction; this is because most long distance traffic uses the M18!

Snow1964

Established Member
Is the M25 / M23 junction not a clover leaf, if not slightly skewed in alignment?

Not a cloverleaf, but a 4 level free flow with the ramps vertically between the motorways

The M25 / M4 version is same design (but has a railway running through at the bottom) but the ramps are vertically outside so there are some big hills.

My favourite it the M25 / M3 full flow on just 2 levels, so M3 has just 2 levels (but the recent idea of reducing westbound M3 to one lane and putting a 50mph speed limit is bad (especially as the narrowed bit was opened with 3 lanes, and no speed limit), they really needed to put a 5th lane up the hill to stop traffic weaving lanes, or extend slip to make it separate as they did at Reigate

Metrolink

Not a cloverleaf, but a 4 level free flow with the ramps vertically between the motorways

The M25 / M4 version is same design (but has a railway running through at the bottom) but the ramps are vertically outside so there are some big hills.

My favourite it the M25 / M3 full flow on just 2 levels, so M3 has just 2 levels (but the recent idea of reducing westbound M3 to one lane and putting a 50mph speed limit is bad (especially as the narrowed bit was opened with 3 lanes, and no speed limit), they really needed to put a 5th lane up the hill to stop traffic weaving lanes, or extend slip to make it separate as they did at Reigate
Leading up to any major motorway junction like the one you have just mentioned should be given the largest priority, and of course ring roads. On the M60 especially the junctions are quite unique and different such as, Junction 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11 & 12, 14, 15 & 25, 26. These are formed to fit the existing road, and I’m sure they are examples on the M25. The upgrading of the M60 was one of the best highway upgrades in the North West since I can remember.

ABB125

Established Member

Also the M4/M5 junction north of Bristol. There are only three of these 4 level stack junctions in the UK; compare that with Los Angeles... : D

With regard to the single lane through the M3 junction, I believe that was done so that traffic heading west from the M25 had more lane gains, thus reducing the chance of traffic backing up on the M25

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I used to do that every day - pretty simple once you have worked it out. There’s only the one roundabout though...

The occasion described was when driving a Bristol K Type (half cab old d.d. bus) from Aston Manor Road Transport Museum (very close to M6 J6) to its temporary lair near M6 J4 - I thought it more straightforward than driving through town. With a crash gearbox, a very sedate top speed and an aversion to inclines, it wasn't like driving a car though...
I described the second junction as a on a roundabout because, when I checked my sat-nav before writing the comment, it looked like if you went right at each fork you would come back to where you started. It's quite possible that there's some barrier that prevents this - having once missed the last turn off southbound on the M11 I found that I couldn't go all the way round the M25 roundabout and return northwards; maybe the M6 one is the same.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
That's because the M11/M25 junction isn't a roundabout! It's a "whirlpool" junction.
View attachment 94143
Yes thanks - I remember being able to see where I wanted to go, but couldn't get over.

There's a strange arrangement on the M42 just south of M6 J4/M42 J7. The A452 Chester Road and the B4438 from the NEC meet at a roundabout over the top of the M42, just like a motorway roundabout, but without access down to it.

And there's a missing M1 junction number (is it 3???) presumably something to do with what's now called London Gateway Services

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Whatabout the M6 in the West Midlands, that had lots of junctions close together so people would use it for very short journies, was anything done to discourage that?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Whatabout the M6 in the West Midlands, that had lots of junctions close together so people would use it for very short journies, was anything done to discourage that?

Not really that close together - it is an urban motorway after all.

jfollows

Established Member

Absolutely, and I usually went this way in preference to the A556; now that I live in Wilmslow I drive across to M6 J18 (if I want to go S on the M6) rather than use the M56 and also I haven't used the rebuilt A556 which probably is quite an improvement over the old road I tended to avoid.

Snow1964

Established Member
And there's a missing M1 junction number (is it 3???) presumably something to do with what's now called London Gateway Services

There is no junction 6 on M27 either

I have looked at google satellite view, and I cannot see any clue where it was going to be either

ABB125

Established Member
Yes thanks - I remember being able to see where I wanted to go, but couldn't get over.

There's a strange arrangement on the M42 just south of M6 J4/M42 J7. The A452 Chester Road and the B4438 from the NEC meet at a roundabout over the top of the M42, just like a motorway roundabout, but without access down to it.

That roundabout is being obliterated by HS2 - the line goes literally straight through the middle!

As Bald Rick says, M1 J3 was for the never-built link to the A1 (Scratchwood Link, I believe it was called), so that A1 traffic could bypass Mill Hill via the M1.
I read somewhere that the original plan for the M6 was to run it somewhere much closer the what is now the M6 Toll, but the authorities of Birmingham lobbied (successfully) for the route to be moved much closer to the city centre (mainly so they didn't have to build their own "local" motorway). I wonder what the road network would look like today if the M6 followed the originally-planned route?

Besides, the junctions aren't that close together, nowhere near as bad as most American urban motorways (apart from junctions 7 and 8).

snowball

Established Member
Following on from the London Ringways thread, the topic of cloverleaf junctions came up.
For those of you who haven't (yet!) reached the point where road junctions are a really exciting topic (:D), here's a diagram of one for you to look at:
View attachment 94050
There are only two examples in the UK, in Redditch and in Livingston (the next junction north from this used to also be a cloverleaf, but for some reason was changed to what it's like now).
The junction in Plymouth, north of the city centre, between the B3413 (which was once the A38) and the A386, is also logically a cloverleaf, though a very unusual one.

It has single carriageway 2-way connections serving as both the inner loops and outer slip roads; it has sharp radii, it has roads and buildings inside the loops, and it has a roundabout on the north-west quadrant slip roads, into which a third approach road, the B3373, connects.

I claim it is nevertheless a proper cloverleaf because

a) the central reservations of the two main routes are continuous

b) it has only one bridge

c) all movements are possible between the A386 and B3413 (and incidentally the B3373)

d) right turns involve going both over and under the bridge and turning through approx 270 degrees.

Some movements to and from the B3373 involve negotiating 2.5 right turn loops each.

There was also once a seven-eighths cloverleaf on the A80 at Old Inns, Cumbernauld, but it was changed in the 1980s and again when the A80 was upgraded to M80 circa 2011.

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
From what I know around Manchester and Cheshire, is that the junctions are different, and generally more complicated and selective. For example the M56/M6 junction near Lymm in Cheshire, has restricted answer so E - S slip road doesn’t exist.
That's because there is a stubborn farmer's buildings in the path of where that slip road would be.
That's because the M11/M25 junction isn't a roundabout! It's a "whirlpool" junction.
View attachment 94143
I favour whirlpools the most. There's another example where the M602 meets the M60 & M62, but they're rarer than I'd like in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.