• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Making journey to assist mother what are current off peak passenger volumes like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ic31420

I know we are still supposed to be on lockdown but it seems to me road traffic volumes are getting back to what they used to be.

I've been visiting my parents throughout lockdowns as my mother in particular has been struggling with coping and her MH / a bit nuts. I need to go around this week and sort out a few things/bog/iPad/computer/bills.

Normally I would take the train and use my bike either end but for the last year I've been using the car.

I'm fed up of using the car now. The train is so much more convenient. Im not a covid conspiracist or denier but I really couldn't care less about covid, if I get it I get it. Though I understand my responsibilities to others and wear masks etc.

How busy are trains off peak at the moment. I'd be travelling Salford to Preston along the Bolton line usually.

Am I likely to be questioned at any point by an official? What proof should I take?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Am I likely to be questioned at any point by an official? What proof should I take?

Not in my experience.

In the unlikely event that someone does question you, you're visiting your support bubble anyway which is allowed.

RPI

Established Member
You're visiting your support bubble, that would class as an essential journey, the only officials that can question your journey are police officers.

Mintona

Established Member
Trains are noticeably busier since schools and colleges went back, which makes sense I guess. But don’t worry about them being too busy, you’re still likely to have a table to yourself if you want (unless you end up on an aforementioned school train). As of next Monday you can legally take the train anywhere you like too, I’ve not seen anybody stopping and asking questions for a long time.

deltic

Established Member
In the nicest possible way, it is people like you that will lead to this pointless lockdown being extended for even longer than it already has, so maybe think about that before jumping on the train and getting covid. I'm not too bothered if you get covid either, but the more people like you that do have that attitude and go on to get it, the longer the rest of us are locked down.
The chances of catching Covid when travelling by train are miniscule and probably substantially less than the risk of being involved in a road accident due to driving instead

Established Member
I know we are still supposed to be on lockdown but it seems to me road traffic volumes are getting back to what they used to be.

I've been visiting my parents throughout lockdowns as my mother in particular has been struggling with coping and her MH / a bit nuts. I need to go around this week and sort out a few things/bog/iPad/computer/bills.

Normally I would take the train and use my bike either end but for the last year I've been using the car.

I'm fed up of using the car now. The train is so much more convenient. Im not a covid conspiracist or denier but I really couldn't care less about covid, if I get it I get it. Though I understand my responsibilities to others and wear masks etc.

How busy are trains off peak at the moment. I'd be travelling Salford to Preston along the Bolton line usually.

Usage levels are going back up noticeably, particularly since schools went back. That’s a good thing as far as rail staff are concerned (at least the sensible ones who value their jobs!). As for being questioned, it’s vanishingly unlikely. I’ve been using public transport daily since the pandemic began to go to all sorts of places,
and have never once been questioned.

Last edited:

ic31420

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll leave the money pit rot box at home and take the train.

In the nicest possible way, it is people like you that will lead to this pointless lockdown being extended for even longer than it already has, so maybe think about that before jumping on the train and getting covid. I'm not too bothered if you get covid either, but the more people like you that do have that attitude and go on to get it, the longer the rest of us are locked down.

My day job puts me at far greater risk. But I've been off for two weeks and I'm off until 1st due to having to use all the leave up that I haven't been able to take covering for others all year.

Personally I think the risk is far greater on a visit to tesco, touching and feeling all the things touched and felt by others.

My point about not getting it was more to make the point I'm not particularly covid averse and my concern is not that of getting it.

I'm going to have to go anyway, it's just the mode of getting there. If I was driving Id have to bike to work to pick the car up (meeting probably 30 people at the workplace) probably put some fuel it in ( more people at the filling station ) then toddle off to mum's and then drop the car off on the way home meet an other shift of 30 people and the bike home.

My greatest risk is probably of being infected by my toddler via nursery.

Anyway the point of the post was to see how busy the trains are because I'll likely have a bike and to see what if any documents I'd need to prove my intentions.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The DfT provides a transport use spreadsheet which is updated daily.

Last Monday, National Rail was at 24% of normal patronage (ticket sales take about a week to fully filter through).

Obviously there are going to be regional variations in that, but it would align with what I've been seeing.

I really wouldn't worry about it, your journey is legal on several counts, and provided you don't travel on a service around school starting/chucking out time you'll probably get a row or two to yourself.

irish_rail

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll leave the money pit rot box at home and take the train.

My day job puts me at far greater risk. But I've been off for two weeks and I'm off until 1st due to having to use all the leave up that I haven't been able to take covering for others all year.

Personally I think the risk is far greater on a visit to tesco, touching and feeling all the things touched and felt by others.

My point about not getting it was more to make the point I'm not particularly covid averse and my concern is not that of getting it.

I'm going to have to go anyway, it's just the mode of getting there. If I was driving Id have to bike to work to pick the car up (meeting probably 30 people at the workplace) probably put some fuel it in ( more people at the filling station ) then toddle off to mum's and then drop the car off on the way home meet an other shift of 30 people and the bike home.

My greatest risk is probably of being infected by my toddler via nursery.

Anyway the point of the post was to see how busy the trains are because I'll likely have a bike and to see what if any documents I'd need to prove my intentions.
Whilst what you say is correct, say you do pick up covid at Tesco and are asymptomatic , you then travel on a train and key workers are then exposed to the infection. This then potentially drives up infection levels, and could potentially end up extending lockdown which for me is a very big no no as society needs to open up and soon. But until we can all go out to the pub , holidays or haircuts, let's not jeopardise our release from home arrest.

Chriso

I have not been questioned and with the stay at home message going on Monday I would be extremely surprised of any enforcement going on

RPI

Established Member
Whilst what you say is correct, say you do pick up covid at Tesco and are asymptomatic , you then travel on a train and key workers are then exposed to the infection. This then potentially drives up infection levels, and could potentially end up extending lockdown which for me is a very big no no as society needs to open up and soon. But until we can all go out to the pub , holidays or haircuts, let's not jeopardise our release from home arrest.
Thats scraping the barrel, Covid isn't going anywhere and as the OP stated in their original post, they don't care if they get it but they do respect other people so abide by social distancing and mask wearing, if you wash hands regularly then the hypothetical situation you described is less likely than being struck by lightning

roversfan2001

Established Member
There's a lot of 'potentially's in there for such a risk to have any material impact. Not to mention that I don't think many (if any) guards are actually conducting ticket checks for the OP to come into contact with them in the first place. I've caught the train a few times over the past few months and not once did I have any interaction with rail staff.

Snow1964

Established Member
Thats scraping the barrel, Covid isn't going anywhere and as the OP stated in their original post, they don't care if they get it but they do respect other people so abide by social distancing and mask wearing, if you wash hands regularly then the hypothetical situation you described is less likely than being struck by lightning

And the rates vary hugely depending on where you are in the country.

Some areas still have rates of 100+ per 100,000 but others have fallen to 20 or below.

Of course you are not going to see 1000-5000 different people on a return train trip, so chance of meeting one with Covid is low.

Actually ought to be much lower as anyone knowingly with Covid should be at home and not near a train, so chance of getting it on a train is tiny, just a fraction of those figures.

peters

On Moderation
But don’t worry about them being too busy, you’re still likely to have a table to yourself if you want (unless you end up on an aforementioned school train).

I don't think that will automatically be the case between Salford and Preston. TransPennine Express and 'Northern Connect' services don't stop at Salford, so it may be a train with 3+2 seating and no tables.

Whilst what you say is correct, say you do pick up covid at Tesco and are asymptomatic

If you wear a face covering in Tesco and santise your hands, the chance of getting COVID in Tesco is extremely low even if you are served by a member of staff who has COVID without realising it.

Veteran Member
The relevant guidance says
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronav...travel-safely-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak

If you need to travel, walk or cycle where possible, and plan ahead to avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practise social distancing while you travel.
There is, therefore, no steer towards using a car rather than public transport.

The specific advice on social distancing and facemasks, plus the significant restrictions on who may travel already reduce the risk of transmission very substantially.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Theoretically possible but likelihood low, especially with the general R level so low.

If you drove, you could knock down a key worker crossing the road, or add to congestion delaying an ambulance.

Master Cutler

I took the 08:20 Chesterfield to Chester last Saturday with a change on platform 14 Piccadilly and only saw about 30 other travellers for the whole journey.
My wife makes the trip more often at different times and reports the same level of fellow passengers.

peters

On Moderation
I took the 08:20 Chesterfield to Chester last Saturday with a change on platform 14 Piccadilly and only saw about 30 other travellers for the whole journey.
My wife makes the trip more often at different times and reports the same level of fellow passengers.

There are no Chesterfield to Chester trains.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
It's going up but it's by no means busy! Should be no issues especially on any medium to long distance.

route101

Established Member
Even in Scotland I've noticed usage creeping up. More school pupils now. Been through Glasgow Central good few times now and never been questioned, never seen the police today. You would think they would police the Avanti/XC/ and TPE services but never seen it.

Djgr

Established Member
Theoretically possible but likelihood low, especially with the general R level so low.

If you drove, you could knock down a key worker crossing the road, or add to congestion delaying an ambulance.
And everyone vulnerable has now been vaccinated...

Master Cutler

There are no Chesterfield to Chester trains.
Correct, however;
"Change on platform 14 Manchester Piccadilly" to TFW Chester service, qualifies as a Chesterfield to Chester journey for the purpose of illustrating the point of the original post.

squizzler

Established Member
You are to be applauded for wanting to do the right thing. I am however concerned that a sentiment that taking the train over alternatives - even ones less practical like motoring in your case - is still apparently not seen as the “not the right thing”. This message needs addressing ASAP.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Yeah your mask will probably cure any cancers on the train too....

Go on the train you’ll be fine

Non Multi

You are to be applauded for wanting to do the right thing. I am however concerned that a sentiment that taking the train over alternatives - even ones less practical like motoring in your case - is still apparently not seen as the “not the right thing”. This message needs addressing ASAP.
When the rail industry and the NHS publicity unit have been instructing the public to avoid using public transport during the last 12 months - what do you expect?

squizzler

Established Member
When the rail industry and the NHS publicity unit have been instructing the public to avoid using public transport during the last 12 months - what do you expect?
Maybe it remaining a measurable perception in the public at large, but that of an active member of a rail forum? Not a judgement on the original poster, rather it shows how insidious the propaganda has been.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
The chances of catching Covid when travelling by train are miniscule and probably substantially less than the risk of being involved in a road accident due to driving instead
Just to be curious, can I have some evidence to show studies that support that please?

I believe you, absolutely, and I am aiming to return to public transport hopefully after Easter, but I'm still curious to see any studies that prove that trains are a low risk environment for catching Covid.

Cdd89

Established Member
Just to be curious, can I have some evidence to show studies that support that please?

You may be waiting a long time, but I assume you may have seen this article:

One key point to bear in mind, is that people are mostly not talking on trains. Speech is one of the factors that most increases spread

MDB1images

All the services are getting busier on that route with each passing day,
Ticket checks do take place(usual pot luck on that if checked)but it's ticket checks not 'what are you doing'.
BTP do patrol Preston but they have been professional and sensible all through the pandemic, wouldn't be a concern for you.

The 6 car sets (two 3 car Class 331)are the best to aim for as your more likely to find a emptier carriage with seats(you can check Northern formations on Real Time Trains if not sure what operates what), some areas on the 195/331's are out of bounds as they are used for crew travelling(as they can't travel in the cabs)so don't panic or be put off by that, just move to the next set of doors either side of that area if asked, it's not the 'yellow tape everywhere' that was seen in lockdown one!

If you've not been out on the Rails for a bit don't forget penalty fares are in operation on that corridor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.