• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Making Long Curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi guys,
I need to make a -200 radius 200m long curve, and tried to do it in Switch, but had no luck. Using a 25m long -200 radius curve made in Switch, ow do I edit the object file to make it 200m long?
Thanks!
:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Can you not Stick 25m -200 together until 200m?

Or recalucate the Radii to make -200 over 200m. (I've worked out a formula before - Have to find it somewhere though!)

Tom B

Established Member
You don't.

A 200m long object will disappear after 25m. What you need is a 25m long object, repeated 8 times (200/25).

The Snap

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
You don't.

A 200m long object will disappear after 25m. What you need is a 25m long object, repeated 8 times (200/25).

Ah, I see. I wont be running on it, it is so I can use it as a .freeobj, to create a point, if you get what I mean. :D

Dennis

Established Member
The 25m sections of curve could be used as freeobjects laid every 25m at the correct distance from the running line be a coded as another rail - this method has the advantage of allowing you to add walls, dikes, objects etc centred on the curving rail.

Whichever way it's done you will need to calculate the distances between this rail and the running rail (rail 0) at 25m intervals.

And you next question is going to be...
"how do I calculate distances between the running rail and a diverging curve of 200m radius?"

Coxster

Established Member
You are using freeobjects for the other rail :shock: I find it is better practice to do it as a different Railtype so you can code in various things in the same way that you would with the running lines but also it will save on framerates (a fair bit under some circumstances).

Tom B

Established Member
Coxster said:
You are using freeobjects for the other rail :shock: I find it is better practice to do it as a different Railtype so you can code in various things in the same way that you would with the running lines but also it will save on framerates (a fair bit under some circumstances).

Indeed, I didn't notice that. Someone did some research a while ago - railtypes are much lower on FPS than freeobjects and anyway, that's what they're there for!

Dennis

Established Member
Just stuck a MS_Works spreadsheet file on the bottom of my website which calculates distances of diverging curves of fixed radii...

http://www.freewebs.com/dennislance/

Let me know if the link doesn't work and I can PM it.

Unfortunately, I never had the joys of doing website construction at school - bit before my time!! So I am learning this the hard way and only started last weekend!! I seem to have a lot to learn.

Tom B

Established Member
Actually when you think of it as a circle and a tangent it becomes pretty simple :?.

The Snap

Established Member
Dennis said:
The 25m sections of curve could be used as freeobjects laid every 25m at the correct distance from the running line be a coded as another rail - this method has the advantage of allowing you to add walls, dikes, objects etc centred on the curving rail.

Whichever way it's done you will need to calculate the distances between this rail and the running rail (rail 0) at 25m intervals.

And you next question is going to be...
"how do I calculate distances between the running rail and a diverging curve of 200m radius?"

Ok, thanks!

Thanks for your help guys! I'll use a second rail, and try to make the switch look the same as it alrerady does. (IE: In my roite, there are a set of points, at the moment, you go off the switch to the left, not am making the branch going straignt on.) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.