• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Malmbanan Kiruna-Narvik open again

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonasB

After four days, and a lot of work, the trains stuck inte the snow on the Kiruna-Narvik line has been freed. A sleeper train from Narvik ran in to a bit more snow than it could handle, passengers were evacuated and yesterday evening the line was finally cleared. But snowdrifts between 5 and 7 metres high took some time to clear.

Pictures: http://www.postvagnen.com/forum/index.php?id=1097493

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Wow. I'm due to travel the line in a couple of weeks- I hope this doesn't happen to me!

JonasB

Wow. I'm due to travel the line in a couple of weeks- I hope this doesn't happen to me!

We'll never know what nature is planning until the weather hits us, but I wouldn't be too worried. This was due to a combination of heavy snowfall and strong winds.

Zerothebrake!

Was staying in Abisko and got caught up in all of this! With both the road and railway closed to the west I had to travel east to Kiruna by bus then took the 14.02 local train to Boden to connect into the 18.25 to Gothenburg and onto the 13.00 NSB service to Oslo - a total journey time of nearly 27 hours! The SJ train staff were great throughout and I made my flight home the following day.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
All being well, I hope to be travelling on that line from Narvik, also should be travelling on the Line from Trondheim to Bodo, The Bergen-Oslo line and the Swedish Inland Railway. Looking forward to it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.