• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maltese Cross / cross-London dagger

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1609

Established Member
My Interpretation of the Routing Guide would be valid from Luton to one of the following:
a) West Hampstead Thameslink
b) London ST Pancras
c) Farringdon
d) Barbican
e) Moorgate
From a) it would be valid via Willesden junction and Richmond
from b to e it would be valid via central zone tubes or Thameslink to
1) Waterloo
2) Vauxhall
3) Victoria
4) Any other ex SR terminal via Waterloo East and then 1 above
for onward travel via Clapham junction and barnes
It would not be valid via Wimbledon (which is surprising)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Surely it is valid via Kingston/Wimbledon as the CDR fare from Luton P'way to Kingston is £14 (without a railcard) and so is the fare to Shepperton, Kingston being one of Shepperton's routeing points.

Edvid

Established Member
To answer your question, though, they should treat the ticket as being valid to Elephant and Castle/London Bridge. As Farringdon is before those stations then the BoJ is permitted and it should be honoured.
Glad to know my occasional breaks of journey at STP during LUT/LTN-ZFD journeys were legal after all.
Since then I've done the same thing several times without a problem, until today. In this case an RPI asked me if I came from 'upstairs' (which I did, so said yes), and initially refused me entry and said I needed a new ticket for my intended journey. I don't know if coming from upstairs' was the (only?) basis for the refusal though, as he then quoted Welwyn GC - London Thameslink as another example of needing a new ticket for journeys from StP to other London Thameslink stations... :roll:

I could be wrong but it sounded like they were treating London Thameslink as London Terminals (he let me through eventually but said I couldn't do that again). Thoughts?

dan_atki

Established Member
He is incorrect - break of journey is valid with all ticket types from Thameslink north to London Thameslink stations.

If you got his name raise the matter with customer relations or next time you are there ask for the supervisor on duty. He needs to be made aware of the correct rules regarding break of journey and again what 'London Thameslink' means. Alternatively, go for the techincal approach - 'I broke my journey on this ticket, which is valid as far as London Bridge or Elephant & Castle, by the rules stated in the National Conditions of Carriage. I am now completing my journey as I am entitled to do by those same rules'.

I have no idea what he is talking about with Welwyn... London Thameslink tickets exist for Thameslink only journeys to avoid the 'London Terminal' issue through Central London (in case you wish to travel further than that station).

glynn80

Established Member
He is incorrect - break of journey is valid with all ticket types from Thameslink north to London Thameslink stations.

If you got his name raise the matter with customer relations or next time you are there ask for the supervisor on duty. He needs to be made aware of the correct rules regarding break of journey and again what 'London Thameslink' means. Alternatively, go for the techincal approach - 'I broke my journey on this ticket, which is valid as far as London Bridge or Elephant & Castle, by the rules stated in the National Conditions of Carriage. I am now completing my journey as I am entitled to do by those same rules'.

I have no idea what he is talking about with Welwyn... London Thameslink tickets exist for Thameslink only journeys to avoid the 'London Terminal' issue through Central London (in case you wish to travel further than that station).

Asking to speak to the supervisor will normally only work if you have written evidence to back up your claim, if you don't they are likely to take the advice of the RPI (since most aren't very proficient in fares) and thus you will be left in the same situation.

dan_atki

Established Member
Asking to speak to the supervisor will normally only work if you have written evidence to back up your claim, if you don't they are likely to take the advice of the RPI (since most aren't very proficient in fares) and thus you will be left in the same situation.

At which point you ask them for a copy of the NCoC ('available from any staffed station') to point it out to them ;)

On FCC though, many of the supervisors (and, in particular, a duty manager I know of at STP as well) are fares trained as many of them have come from a ticket office environment and are expected to work on windows to cover breaks/absence/etc.

Edvid

Established Member
As it happens I'm off to London again tomorrow, so I'll definitely BmJ at StP again. :D Not that it matters, but I still wonder if I'd got through straight away by claiming to have used FCC (as opposed to EMT) to get to StP. It's also brought back a few ancedotes which I meant to post earlier.

Earlier this autumn I've used several LTN-SHP CDRs, and experience suggests that Blackfriars staff are happy for me to BmJ but Farringdon staff - at least one in particular anyway - are not. (I bet you're not surprised!)

This guy at the latter said that BoJ with my ticket was not permitted as ZFD is an LU station, and that I really should have used the Victoria Line between StP and Vauxhall instead; I also suspect he thought that BoJ purely involving NR services was irrelevant in light of the station's LU status. He added that should he let me off at ZFD, I would have to buy a new ticket to SHP in order to resume my journey.

After I spent 2 minutes trying to deal with this nonsense, I decided I had better things to do and 'agreed' to buy a new ticket later, so he let me through. But as you may well know by now, I never had any intention of buying another ticket, or even resuming my journey for that matter. ;)

On a separate matter I bought a CDS to Luton from a TVM at Blackfriars last week. Guess what origin was printed on that ticket...(hint - it wasn't London Thameslink!) :roll: :lol:

paul1609

Established Member
You'll be pleased to know that the TVM and Booking Office at littlehampton still issue a London terminals ticket when asked for London St Pancras and that they still work the barriers at St Pancras.

dan_atki

Established Member
Earlier this autumn I've used several LTN-SHP CDRs, and experience suggests that Blackfriars staff are happy for me to BmJ but Farringdon staff - at least one in particular anyway - are not. (I bet you're not surprised!)

This guy at the latter said that BoJ with my ticket was not permitted as ZFD is an LU station, and that I really should have used the Victoria Line between StP and Vauxhall instead; I also suspect he thought that BoJ purely involving NR services was irrelevant in light of the station's LU status. He added that should he let me off at ZFD, I would have to buy a new ticket to SHP in order to resume my journey.

Not at all surprised - my feelings about staff at Farringdon are made clear in this and other threads.

The ticket is valid via 'London' in the routeing guide, and is marked with a Maltese Cross. You can travel between Blackfriars and Waterloo using the Tube for this journey (it's valid in other words). Farringdon is an intermediate station between Luton and Blackfriars, and you can break your journey with your ticket. So, why won't they let you at Farringdon?

LU staff being LU staff aren't trained with *every* NR fares situation (and I believe this includes BoJ).

Firstly, in almost all situations it is irrelevant which way you travel in London so long as you're not taking liberties with your ticket (e.g. Waterloo to Stratford via Epping and Moor Park) and the route is 'reasonable'. In my eyes at least, Blackfriars to Waterloo is reasonable on this ticket.

You may have personal reasons for wanting to go from Waterloo rather than Vauxhall (such as more space available etc.) TBH that's really SWTs business rather than his so he shouldn't really be in a position to comment on 'suggested routes' unless you ask for them.

Now, why is the BoJ at Farringdon permitted even when they say it isn't (and how can you prepare yourself for future occurrances)?

NCoC say that BoJ is permitted except when breaking at an intermediate LU/DLR station. Now, this is sketchy and my interpretation of this rule is breaking on an intermediate LU leg - say Westminster on your Blackfriars to Waterloo ticket - rather than on a NR leg or directly before/after the LU leg.

Had you have come on the Tube from STP (and assuming there was no identical NR service you could have used) then they'd be right with what they said. BUT, in this case there is an NR service, one directly from Luton and one that continues in the same direction to enable you to continue the journey on NR from there without doubling back. (Even going via London Bridge and Waterloo East is valid on this route without even needing the Underground).

They should be aware you are not breaking intermediately *off of* an LU service (which is the primary restriction). Even breaking at Blackfriars before entering the Tube would be allowed.

Best way to avoid this situation in future is actually not using the NCoC (they'll twist the wording in it to show you they're 'right'). Say the route you were given by the clerk when you purchased the ticket is via London Bridge and Waterloo East (completely avoiding LU) and that break at Farringdon is permitted. Say you have broken your journey off of an NR service and, as such, your break of journey is valid by national restrictions. If they still refuse to believe this then ask them to ring a Thameslink North booking office/their retail trainer to confirm that BoJ there is permitted.

If they continue to refuse to believe you/let you out then say fine you won't bother breaking your journey then and you will continue it immediately (you haven't left the station, so have not technically broken your journey!) take down/ask for their name, and simply walk back down to platform 3 and exit the system at City would be the best advice. If they won't let you do this then politely ask them to call the BTP to sort matters out because you are not paying any excess as it is not necessary.

In any case, write to 55 Broadway with your complaint about the Revenue Protection staff at Farringdon and the fact they seem to be clueless about all matters NR - ask for the letter to be passed onto the duty manager there and the situation to be sorted. Send a copy to FCC too and hope they they also instigate extra training...

On a separate matter I bought a CDS to Luton from a TVM at Blackfriars last week. Guess what origin was printed on that ticket...(hint - it wasn't London Thameslink!) :roll: :lol:

Oh dear, FCC need a software upgrade to those machines - should only say 'London Terminals' for destinations to the south... They will probably retort that as the same price it doesn't make a difference when, technically by the fares manuals, it does (an inspector in Central London will deem the ticket as invalid - and to be honest they're not at fault - until you say you bought the ticket at BFR (they're probably aware of such problems) - the code on the ticket can confirm this).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You'll be pleased to know that the TVM and Booking Office at littlehampton still issue a London terminals ticket when asked for London St Pancras and that they still work the barriers at St Pancras.

Albeit incorrectly by the Fares Manuals - that ticket, strictly speaking, is not valid between City Thameslink and St Pancras. This seems to be a national problem and SET, SN, SWT, FCC, and ATOC should be made aware of this! King's Cross Thameslink was normally printed on tickets when asked for from the south - so should STP now it replaced KCM!

Funny thing is Avantix comes up with a fare for STP (and says it is printed as 'London St Pancrs' too) - seems to me it is an issue with training and the fact the clerk and machine automatically interpret this as a London Terminal and puts that into the machine rather than STP...

paul1609

Established Member
I'm told by "a source" that the Thameslink tickets issue is well known to senior management in the main tocs but that there is a technical difficulty arising from the fares agreement in respect of travelcard zones. Aledgedly the "do nothing" option is regarded as the most advantageous stance by all the mainline tocs and that whilst they recognise that the tickets are technically invalid by the fares manual, local staff have been instructed not to query them!

dan_atki

Established Member
I'm told by "a source" that the Thameslink tickets issue is well known to senior management in the main tocs but that there is a technical difficulty arising from the fares agreement in respect of travelcard zones. Aledgedly the "do nothing" option is regarded as the most advantageous stance by all the mainline tocs and that whilst they recognise that the tickets are technically invalid by the fares manual, local staff have been instructed not to query them!

What!? That's mad! :| Then again I'm sure they are of the impression being a TOC that they are invincible. Just to confirm something on a ticket machine you explicitly select a destination of 'London St Pancras'? Something I believe is against the Sale of Goods Act 1979 Section 13 (1A)... The ticket has a validity not as described and the machine probably doesn't state that, actually, the ticket ceases to be valid at City Thameslink. Sorry to be so technical over something some may regard as 'minor' but the 'we know about this but are not doing anything' stance is illegal in this case.

I don't understand the technological problem, though. King's Cross Thameslink was open when zonal fares were introduced and there were (as far as I'm aware) no problems with this issue then. It is not as if the fare doesn't even exist for it - there is a Littlehampton to St Pancras fare (albeit at the same price as the London Terminals) but printed with the correct destination of 'London St Pancrs'.

If there is so much of a problem with it then the fare should not exist and 'London St Pancras' should not appear as an option on the machine. Staff asked for this ticket should issue a ticket to London Terminals and specifically tell the customer that it is not valid to St Pancras - of course, this is in some fantasy perfect world and we know such a situation will never actually happen.

Still, wonder what the reply from the main TOCs in the South East would be about this slight illegal issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.