• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Man crushed by garden model train

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie babs

Not sure if this has already been posted but just read it, on the news

Man crushed by garden model train at his Wilmcote home
A man has been airlifted to hospital after being crushed and trapped by a model train in his back garden.

The man, in his 70s, was thought to have been sitting on the large-scale locomotive when it left the rails and came off a garden wall.

He was trapped for almost 30 minutes as ambulance crews and firefighters tried to free him at his home in Wilmcote in Warwickshire, paramedics said.

He suffered abdominal and pelvic injuries, they added.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "He was given pain relief and immobilised by ambulance crews with the use of a splint, neck collar and spinal board, before being airlifted to the University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm curious to know what gauge was involved here, in order to get a better feel for the situation. Whether it was the smaller 7 and 1/4 inch that is quite prevalent for garden railways and rides for the public in parks and the like, or perhaps something larger: Even 9 and a half inch gauge locos, such as the line in Marine Park in South Shields, are substantial pieces of machinery that must have quite a decent weight behind them. I suppose it depends on how big the unfortunate fellas' garden was!

I was involved in a collision on one of the 7 and a quarter inch lines once, back home in Sunderland: GWR Castle rear-ended a smaller tank engine (and it's attached "carriage") that had stopped on the main line for a "blow up" after losing pressure. Coal scattered everywhere, Castle nose-dived down the side of the embankment; It was just like a real train crash...only smaller...;)

Poor chap, it must have been an awful experience. He is lucky not to have sustained serious burns, assuming the loco was a live steam one (although I suppose it may not have been).

Here's wishing him a speedy recovery.

Schnellzug

Established Member
What's the minimum threshold for the RAIB to be informed? Would a 7 1/2 " count as a passenger carrying train? (And I'm not being facetious).

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I believe the gauge has to be over ~13 inches for anything to be RAIB reportable.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
So an accident on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway would be reportable to the RAIB?

http://www.raib.gov.uk/about_us/index.cfm

The scope of the RAIB’s work is set out in the Act and it is mandated to investigate any serious railway accident, as defined in the Regulations (Regulation 2(3)), which occurs on a railway, as defined by the Transport and Works Act 1992. This covers:

• heritage railways (including narrow-gauge systems over 350mm gauge);

I suppose it depends how the railway is set up in legislation.

Schnellzug

Established Member
RH&DR would certainly, that's always been classified as a public railway. I expect one criterion would be if they chrage fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.