• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Man cycles out of Liverpool Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Services out of Liverpool Street were disrupted this morning by a trespasser cycling down the railway line and through the Bishopsgate tunnel, trying very hard to win a coveted Darwin Award

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-for-cycling-down-rush-hour-train-tracks.html

A rogue cyclist caused rush hour delays in central London in Tuesday when he tried to ride his bike along the rails between Liverpool Street and Bethnal Green station.

Fifty trains were delayed and three cancelled outright while transport police officers pursued him over the open-air track.

The unnamed 31-year-old man made it more than half a mile before he was caught and arrested for trespass and obstructing the rails.

The cyclist was first spotted by a train driver, who saw him taking his bicycle down onto the track and immediately radioed the station control room to shut down the 25,000-volt wires humming overhead.

Station staff managed to snap a picture of him, wearing what appears to be a grey hoody and carrying a golf bag, before he pedaled off through the Bishopsgate Tunnel.

Officers then spread out across the track in search of the errant rider, but did not catch him until he had almost made it to the next station.

He was also spotted by commuter Jamie Walton, who said: “Walking down the train line with a push bike and a set of golf clubs outside Liverpool Street, as you do!”

Another commuter, Joseph Willits, was unfazed, tweeting: “London is great. So many people in different accents and languages telling bosses they’re late due to drunk cycling trespasser at Liverpool Street.”

Greater Anglia, which operates hundreds of services every day in north and east London and Essex, said the incident caused delays of up to 20 minutes and had knock-on effects on other services.

A spokesman for British Transport Police said he had “no indication” as to why the man had chosen to use a live rail track as a cycle lane.

He said: “Our officers were called to Liverpool Street station at 9.22am on Tuesday, 19 August, after a report of a man cycling on the railway line.

“Officers carried out a search of the track, assisted by staff from Network Rail.

“A 31-year-old man was arrested for trespass and obstructing trains close to Bethnal Green railway station. The line was handed back to Network Rail at 9.49am.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I can understand the juice being switched off where it's a 3rd rail area but why in an overhead area? Could they not have just stopped all trains and locked all points in place. Maybe use a train on a parallel track to catch up with the person?

nicobobinus

The bike in the accompanying photo looks like a folder.. given that it was the tail end of the morning peak (with bike restrictions) I wonder if he came in on a train without a ticket and decided to do a U-turn at the sight of the gateline!

SeanG

I just hope he cycled down one of the rails. That would impress me

tra1nsp0tter

Does that mean what I was told in school about electricity jumping was a myth or more of a tale to tell kids so they know better?

I believe that electricity can arc....at least that's what we were told at school, about electricity in general & not just the railways.

However..I stand to be corrected if I am wrong..:oops:

Established Member
Kinda ironic when you look back over the news items on the Greater Anglia website where there are many stories promoting new cycle hire facilities at various stations. In fact you wonder sometimes if they are a railway company or a bike firm :|

the sniper

Established Member
Does that mean what I was told in school about electricity jumping was a myth or more of a tale to tell kids so they know better?

It does, but think about it, you're closer to the overhead when you're stood on the platform than you are at the lower track level. ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It can arc, but the difference in height would be about 2 metres. It's not going to arc that much!

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Apparantly, this chap plans to do the same again tomorrow morning.

He's one of those re-cycling nutters :lol:

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Well, I hope he stopped at any red signals he encountered!

Most don't stop at red lights on the road let alone the rails...

Out of interest, is there any scope for firms to claim back compensation from this chap, surely Anglia are going to have earned a lot of delay repay and over-time fees to sort this out, not to mention people missing connections for work etc. Has anyone been sued into oblivion for something like this before?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Out of interest, is there any scope for firms to claim back compensation from this chap, surely Anglia are going to have earned a lot of delay repay and over-time fees to sort this out, not to mention people missing connections for work etc. Has anyone been sued into oblivion for something like this before?

It would probably not be worth it. Even if he was well off they're unlikely to recoup even a fraction of what the delay cost them, especially after court costs. If he's unemployed, maybe alcoholic, potentially homeless (which I'm reckoning is more likely) then any attempt to pursue him would just cost the company more.

neilmc

Seems like the Telegraph writers are a bit confused about electric trains - the wires were "humming" overhead but the rails were live!

AndyPJG

Seems like the Telegraph writers are a bit confused about electric trains - the wires were "humming" overhead but the rails were live!

Twas the rail track 'live', as in open to traffic, as opposed to 'closed'.

Last edited:

swcovas

Reminds me of a few years ago here in Portugal when an old couple managed to get their car on to the dedicated metro tracks in Porto city centre and drive down into the tunnel finally grinding to a halt at one of the underground stations! Was priceless! Getting the car back out was a damn sight more complicated.

Searle

Established Member
jopsuk:1889881 said:

It would probably not be worth it. Even if he was well off they're unlikely to recoup even a fraction of what the delay cost them, especially after court costs. If he's unemployed, maybe alcoholic, potentially homeless (which I'm reckoning is more likely) then any attempt to pursue him would just cost the company more.

A little bit presumptuous don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.