Man Pic early morning layover

Discussion in 'Trip Planning & Reports' started by AndrewNTH, 13 Mar 2018.

1. AndrewNTH

AndrewNTH Member

Evening all,

Due to some unforeseen, last-minute circumstances I have had to return home from work as a matter of urgency and I am currently on board the 2015 from Portsmouth Harbour back to my home station, Bebington, arriving 0614. While not a journey I am at all looking forward to, I do ponder if any forum members are aware of a warm place to sit, potentially with some food/drink available (24 hour McDonald's?) during my layover at Manchester Piccadilly between 0200 and 0500. If not, does the station remain open all night (even if not particularly warm inside)?

Andrew

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. WombatDeath

WombatDeath Member

Sorry you're stuck. The station is open all night, and if there's nowhere offering refreshments open in the station itself, there's a 24x7 McDonalds on Oxford Street where you can at least keep warm.

4. AndrewNTH

AndrewNTH Member

That's wonderful - thank you very much. I shall peruse the forums on the free wifi too! :)

5. Trackman

Trackman Member

I'd ask a member of staff, they will know.

6. howittpie

howittpie Member

There is also a 24 hour Burger king in Picadilly Gardens.

7. dilbertphil

dilbertphil Member

Manchester - Oxford Street
    36/38 OXFORD STREET
    MANCHESTER, M1 5EJ

As mentioned this is the 24hr Mcdonalds in Manchester it's about a 10 minute walk from Piccadilly or 5 mins from Oxford Road station.

8. tony_mac

tony_mac Established Member

there's an 02:20 (rail replacement bus) to the Airport and an 04:39 back again (which is also the first train from Piccadilly to Liverpool).

There are 24-hour Spars in each terminal that sell coffee, pastries etc. There are some reports that Broderick's coffee shop in T2 is also 24h.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2018
  9. kevconnor

kevconnor Member

I am not sure if the McDonalds on Oxford Road allows people to sit in however. Around the corner from Oxford Road Station is Black Dog Ball Room, a late night bar open until 4am a decent enough place to stick around.

10. bungle965

bungle965 Established Member

There used to be a Starbucks in the station which was 24H, it has now been taken over and turned into a Caffe Nero unfortunately with their opening times scaled back to midnight. A couple of months late sadly.
    Sam

11. Bovverboy

Bovverboy Member

Unfortunately the proximity of Oxford Road station to Oxford Street McDonalds is not relevant in this instance, since trains do not stop at Oxford Road during the night. Even the 0454 train from Piccadilly to Liverpool Lime Street (which AndrewNTH is proposing to catch) does not call, even though it passes through.
    I believe the McDonalds in St Ann's Square has recently gone 24hr, but it's a shade further from Piccadilly than the Oxford Street branch.

12. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

Don't forget there are likely to be some rather inebriated Sevilla fans wandering around Manchester early tomorrow morning so it might not be the most pleasant of places to have to hang around.

13. Bovverboy

Bovverboy Member

I don't think that AndrewNTH's ticket would cover him for a jaunt to the Airport, an extra ticket would be required.
    The 0439 train from the Airport is actually the train Andrew is proposing to catch at Piccadilly. It is tomorrow scheduled to run via the CLC route (vs the more usual Chat Moss) - this does add a few minutes on but the train should still easily connect with the same Merseyrail service at Lime Street.

14. Bovverboy

Bovverboy Member

Things changed a year or two ago, it's fully open now.

15. Bovverboy

Bovverboy Member

(Deleted)

16. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Correct, £8.10 anytime day return (unfortunately the return journey is *just* into the peak).

I'd spend that to avoid sitting at Picc all night.