• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Man Picc to Man Vic tomorrow 8/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trackman

Established Member
I have an advance ticket from HGR to BON for tomorrow (Sunday 8th May), and I've found out today there are no services from Picc to Bolton tomorrow.
I bought the ticket on 19th April from the VT website and is routed as SPT - BON for the final leg of my journey.
This has happened before, but I've walked down to Man Vic, this time however I've a load of luggage.
I don't think my ticket would be valid on the Metrolink, could I ask VT for a taxi?
Also I thought they might have a bustitution on, but I can't see anything online.
Rather than walking, should I buy a Metrolink ticket to Vic and claim back from VT?
Any ideas anyone?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
TBH what I'd do is pay for Metrolink (it's only a couple of quid), keep the ticket and send it in for a RTV with a copy of your booking afterwards proving that the works were announced after you made the booking.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....I bought the ticket on 19th April from the VT website and is routed as SPT - BON for the final leg of my journey....

Do you mean they suggested a change of train at Stockport for Bolton? If so, there does seem to have been a problem with trainline "powered" journey planners and weekend engineering works in Manchester in recent months.

....I don't think my ticket would be valid on the Metrolink, could I ask VT for a taxi?...

You could ask, but they'll probably say no.

....Also I thought they might have a bustitution on, but I can't see anything online....

Trains to and from Bolton are serving Manchester (Victoria) so there's no bus there. I've only ever known TPE to run buses from Piccadilly to Victoria, when their 'Scottish' services are diverted to Victoria.

....Rather than walking, should I buy a Metrolink ticket to Vic and claim back from VT?....

If you want to use Metrolink you will need to buy a ticket for it. If you want to claim it back from VT, you're probably best checking that they would be willing to do that before buying the ticket.

....Any ideas anyone?

Metroshuttle 1 runs every ten minutes between 10am and 6pm on Sundays, and serves Piccadilly and Victoria. It is a free service.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Metroshuttle 1 runs every ten minutes between 10am and 6pm on Sundays, and serves Piccadilly and Victoria. It is a free service.

It goes all round the houses though, and it can take 30 minutes between trains at each end.
Probably faster on a Sunday.
Or maybe I'm thinking of the Oxford Road-Victoria service (Metroshuttle 2 I think).

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Thanks for the replies people
Going to buy a Metrolink ticket and keep hold of it for poss RV's.
The Stockport change is suggested a few times and works very well, just a few seconds walk to the connecting platform and you miss all that faffing about at Man Picc - that's why I didn't give it a second thought this time

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Get an Uber Cab? if you've not used one before you could get a referral code from an existing user that will probably cover the cost of your trip.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I doubt Virgin would refund you the Metrolink fare. What is wrong with the Metroshuttle?

As gray1404 said, if you are delayed sufficiently, you can then claim Delay Repay.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
One crucial question: Which legs of the journey does the OP have a "reservation" for?

If it's all the way through, then travelling into Manchester instead of changing at Stockport wouldn't comply with the booked itinerary, and they MAY be asked to purchase a new ticket.

Trackman

Established Member
One crucial question: Which legs of the journey does the OP have a "reservation" for?

If it's all the way through, then travelling into Manchester instead of changing at Stockport wouldn't comply with the booked itinerary, and they MAY be asked to purchase a new ticket.

Reservation is as far as Stockport.
No reservation from Stockport, I thought my ticket would be then OK on any train and valid route for the rest of the day.
Same applies on the trip down, sometimes I go Charing Cross or London Bridge ticket is fine with all the barriers.
Funny, I've just looked at my ticket again, it says booked train only- but who is to know without a reservation?

kieron

Established Member
If there are no trains running from Stockport to Bolton, I don't think anyone would be that unhappy about you not catching one.

Trackman

Established Member
on the train now, didn't say anything to the TM going to pay £1.20 for the Metrolink

trainophile

Established Member
Can I ask a related question on this thread? If not allowed, please delete this.

I too had an Advance for today, for Hereford to Southport via Man Picc. Booked ages ago, at which time my itinerary showed arrival at MAN at 1415, departing on the Northern direct service to Southport at 1435.

Having spotted this thread yesterday, I realised that I would have been caught in the same trap, i.e. no direct train from MAN to SOP.

As it happens it's academic this time, as my plans have changed so I'm not travelling today anyway.

However, if I had been, I'd have got to MAN to find no direct onward connection. This would have left me with the option of getting an EMT to Liverpool South Parkway and changing onto Merseyrail.

So to get to the point, would there have been any problem on the EMT, as I don't have a reservation for that service. Do they operate reservations on Sundays?

Just curious, although if I had been travelling I would have been a bit stumped.

Trackman

Established Member
Great. No trams to Vic, Got a taxi and receipt. On the 17:39 now to Bolton.
Edit: no direct tram- not faffing about in this heat!

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
If reservations are just as far as Stockport, wouldn't the rest be covered under '&Connections'? I've had it before where I've had tickets via London with a reservation to Watford Jn and the suggestion of the Southern service avoiding London. Ticket had a Maltese cross and on one occasion the Southern was cancelled anyway - had no issues crossing London

Trackman

Established Member
Odd, because there are direct trams from Vic to Pic (I was on one).

Forgive me, I've only used the Metrolink a few times.
I think I was on the right platform, the board spun round but there was nothing I could see towards Victoria 15 mins +
It was about 17.15 , maybe they where running late?
I think the service was J Ashton-Vic (Sundays) I wanted according to my phone.
Wasn't hanging about, The City game hadn't long to go.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Walking out back from the City game there was an unusual clog of trams from Piccadilly up to the Etihad - 3 back to back at one point, which suggests some form of disruption earlier.

Trackman

Established Member
Update: delay repay only, no shocks there.
If it does happen to you, get off at the booked stop, take notes and times of the alternative services you use.

sonic2009

Established Member
Update: delay repay only, no shocks there.
If it does happen to you, get off at the booked stop, take notes and times of the alternative services you use.

Did they provide explanation as to why they did not refund the taxi fare?

Trackman

Established Member
Did they provide explanation as to why they did not refund the taxi fare?
It's all a bit complicated I had to speak to someone.
Picc to Vic is a valid crossover when journey planning, like make your own way.
I told them about the bags I was humping about.
I should have checked before I travelled (which I did!) and asked at the VT desk at Euston beforehand.
What could have happened is to have the ticket endorsed and travel on a VT train to Wigan NW (with a shorter crossover!).
What I should have done is got off at Stockport and asked for a taxi from there to Vic (re:bags)
It's down to VT discretion on this one depending on your circumstances i.e elderly, disabled etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.