• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Man stabbed on Guildford to London train near Horsley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
Horrific, and a somewhat surprising route on which to hear of this, being rich stockbroker belt country and Guildford being an affluent town. Of course, anything can happen anywhere, but knife crime is much more typically associated with urban environments. Thoughts with all the victims.

tsr

Established Member
Very sad to hear this. I can't imagine how terrifying this was for any passengers in the same bit of the train, and for the staff, for that matter. It's almost worse that the person made off at Clandon, as there aren't going to have been an awful lot of resources immediately available to track them down over what could be a relatively large bit of mixed countryside and suburbia.

From a purely "commentary" perspective... whilst the local small towns and villages may be almost entirely peaceful, and have a lot of well-off commuters, some rather "interesting" characters board these trains at off-peak times. Years ago, Clandon was the first place I came across drug dealing on the railway. Some of the problems do remain. Guildford, too, has some troubled souls, despite being a bustling county town.

Dren Ahmeti

RTT states it was cancelled at Horsley due to "disorder".
And it’s being interally categorised as a “passenger disorder”.
From what I’ve heard and read, the driver and guard were helping the MOP (Member of the Public) very quickly and professionally.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
They’ll just go off the default TRUST attribution code, right?

Correct, which means several things. In the immediate aftermath of an incident, attribution may not be finalised or correct. Even if it were, delay attribution descriptors may not always reflect what ordinary folk off the street may understand them to be.

There are others but I won't go into too much depth here.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It's beyond awful to think how traumatic that was for those crew members who tried to help. Wishing them well.
Apparently driver was first on scene due to location. Poor sod I really hope he/she wasn't too badly affected by what must have been very nasty scenes.

moley

Thoughts go out to the Victims.

Curiously, at about 14:18 a 8x455 went country bound through Guildford with three blows on the horn. I don't believe it stopped based on the speed it was doing. The following train was only 3 minutes later and stopped.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thoughts go out to the Victims.

Curiously, at about 14:18 a 8x455 went country bound through Guildford with three blows on the horn. I don't believe it stopped based on the speed it was doing. The following train was only 3 minutes later and stopped.
That isn't the incident train in case you were wondering as it hasn't yet moved.

Lucan

Established Member
If the suspect got on at London Road and off at Clandon, I wonder why the train was not stopped until Horsley. [The station sequence is Guildford - London Road - Clandon - Horsley - ]

Dren Ahmeti

If the suspect got on at London Road and off at Clandon, I wonder why the train was not stopped until Horsley. [The station sequence is Guildford - London Road - Clandon - Horsley - ]
I’d like to think that the Driver was either not aware until after Clandon or it was deemed quicker/easier for the MOP to get ambulance attendance at Horsley. The suspect reportedly left the sevice at Clandon with the attack occuring either stopped at Clandon, or between London Road and Clandon.
This is purely speculation and not backed up with any sources, by the way.

Established Member
My thoughts go out to the victim, their friends and family too. They also go to the guard and driver on that train who hopefully weren't too shaken by this event. It is shocking the location this has happened but anything can happen anywhere.

Just out of curiosity, for a fairly (thankfully) rare event, who picks up the delay minutes for this? Would this be Network Rail?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
My thoughts go out to the victim, their friends and family too. They also go to the guard and driver on that train who hopefully weren't too shaken by this event. It is shocking the location this has happened but anything can happen anywhere.

Just out of curiosity, for a fairly (thankfully) rare event, who picks up the delay minutes for this? Would this be Network Rail?
TOC event.

Elecman

Established Member
I would think the TOC as the incident is on thier train and not Network Rail Infrastructure. Thoughts with the victims family and all affected staff

Established Member
Even though this was beyond their control and the train temporarily is longer in their control but under police control until they hand it back which will take a few hours?

Unfortunate for SWR but I guess it is difficult to charge anybody for these delay minutes as it is beyond anyone's control other than the criminal.

tsr

Established Member
Apparently driver was first on scene due to location. Poor sod I really hope he/she wasn't too badly affected by what must have been very nasty scenes.

Entirely likely. Passengers on London-bound trains calling at London Road are likely to get on at the front of the train, which would also make the proximity to the driver's cab much greater than usual.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Unfortunately in delay attribution terms someone has to pick up the delay. Very broadly speaking NR would not pick up an incident unless track access is denied.

Dren Ahmeti

Sky News showing an overhead shot of SOCO on scene, with Clandon station closed and cordoned off.

Established Member
I would think the TOC as the incident is on thier train and not Network Rail Infrastructure. Thoughts with the victims family and all affected staff
Unfortunately in delay attribution terms someone has to pick up the delay. Very broadly speaking NR would not pick up an incident unless track access is denied.
Thank you for your responses, certainly learnt something today.

A Challenge

Established Member
Thoughts with the victim, family, and rail staff, and hope they find the perpetrator.

It appears, if anyone is having to get round this, down trains non-stopping Horsley and Clandon (nonstop from Effingham Junction to London Road (Guildford)) and up trains diverted via Woking. A few trains reversing at Effingham Junction or Epsom.

infobleep

Veteran Member
RTT states it was cancelled at Horsley due to "disorder".
National Rail Enquiries said it was due to a passenger being taken ill.

Truely awulful event. Thoughts to all those affected; person who died and any families. I hope the police are able to locate the person and that there is enough evidence to help them get to the bottom of what happened. The train may not have been that busy so there may not be so many witnesses. I kind of hope someone might have caught something on video. Not because I want such things filmed but be ause it might be some additional evidence to the police to help them investigate this.

This even made the Austrian news, according to someone I know who lives out there.

Surprisingly trains through the area this evening seem to be running with shorter delays than on the fast mainline to Woking.

The first train north to stop at all stations, bar Clandon and Horsley is the 19:58 Guildford to Waterloo via Epsom, followed by 20:07 to Waterloo via Cobham.

As I was at London Bridge Road a fast non stop 455 went through. May have been an ECS.

Clandon platform on the up was deserted when I went through. I didn't look to out at Horsley.

Mathew S

Established Member
Sky now reporting that BTP have said the 51 year old male victim was travelling with his 14 year old son.
How unspeakably horrific.

delt1c

Established Member
My Thoughts go to the immediate staff who attended. Had to deal with 1st hand a fatality over 40 years ago and images have never left me.
My Thoughts go to the immediate staff who attended. Had to deal with 1st hand a fatality over 40 years ago and images have never left me

Status
Not open for further replies.