• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manc Pic-London

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrongMotive

Hi,

Going to London in December, specifically Hammersmith, what's the cheapest and best route? Or do you have any recommendations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oracle

Established Member
1) Do you want the quickest route?
2) Will you be travelling on the Underground after you get to your destination, or buses?
3) Single or Return?
4) When? Over Xmas or before?
5? Railcard?

Sorry, just anticipating the ticketing guys!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd say the fastest would be on a 390 straight to Euston and onto the H+C over to Hammersmith. Pretty frequent service too so shouldn't be too hard to get a good price if you're flexible.

Of course, the other good route would be on a 220/221 down to Reading and onto a FGW HST into Paddington, finishing on the H+C to Hamersmith.

StrongMotive

1) Do you want the quickest route?
2) Will you be travelling on the Underground after you get to your destination, or buses?
3) Single or Return?
4) When? Over Xmas or before?
5? Railcard?

Sorry, just anticipating the ticketing guys!

Forgot to add, must be return.

1) Not necessairly, cheapest is best. But more expensive for less hassle doesn't concern me.
2) Either / or
3) Return
4) First week in december
5) Student

Hyperen

Are you returning the same day?
Do you need a flexible ticket or are you OK to travel on specific trains?

devon_metro

Established Member
Off Peak Return is £62.40 to London Terminals. Advance Purchase would get it down to around £30 if you booked very early.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Would it be cheaper to go to Birmingham and then take Chiltern down to London?

Just an idea.

mjon3105

Virgin Trains website £17.20 return out 1 Dec am - back to Man 5 Dec pm assuming 16-25 YP railcard if you can commit well in advance

Oracle

Established Member
Then consider a one-day Travelcard in London if you are touring about, or a three-day etc if you are down longer. My student days (30 years ago) were spent Bristol Temple Meads or Parkway-Reading by HST then to Feltham using my then Student R/C...£6.30 return! Great for taking the washing home at weekends and getting some real food at home. I tried the coach once as it was cheaper and it was horrible..no leg room.

Coradia

Just noticed whilst tavelling on one yesterday, it had an automated announcement system. The 'ding dong' had been increased in speed too ;) . Has this appeared on all routes or just Manchester ones since not heared it on any other service.

thefab444

Established Member
The Pendolinos have had automated announcements since introduction haven't they? Just it is very rarely used. Voice is Phil Sayer I believe.

Coradia

It was onboard the 09:38 via Northampton, perhaps the train manager got fed up of going through the amount of stops :lol:

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I find NXEC and FTPE much better than VWC for advance purchases, certainly in terms of volume and choice available (maybe just to do with high demand). As discussed on another thread, if VWC advance fares don't deliver, try splitting at Doncaster (or Leeds). Manchester - Doncaster in late October was down to £3 single each way on some services when looking the other day and the single to London from Doncaster may be as little as £10ish each way.

t0ffeeman

Ever thought about going to Kenny O from Watford Jct. Fare is slightly cheaper than Euston and Kenny O is a 5-10 min walk from Hammersmith, or No. 10 bus if you're lazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.