• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Airport to Leeds: Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have another ticket question. I need to get from Manchester Airport to Leeds on 27th November at around 18:00 coming back on 29th November arriving by around 14:00. The lowest fare I've found is 2 airport advance singles at £10 each for a total of £20. However, I can get an off-peak return for just over £24 which I could buy on the day and use on any train both ways. Any suggestions for creative ticketing or splitting to bring the cost down a little?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It won't be cheaper splitting. If you were going further, or if you were going for a day trip, then splitting may benefit. If you were going at peak time then I'd suggest buying further to avoid the ticket being priced by TPE. In this case, I don't think you can get the fare any lower.

Is it Leeds city centre you want? The fare is the same to places just outside Leeds, such as Horsforth and Micklefield.

On TPE if the very cheapest AP fares are unavailable, then AP becomes pointless for a return journey, as the amount you save is not worth the hassle for the loss of flexibility. For longer distance day trips, multiple CDRs can be cheaper than through AP singles, giving the customer more flexibility, and also giving Northern (and potentially XC) a share of the profits. Daft, but true. Even worse, TPE do not offer "and connections" AP tickets.

Manchester Airport (MIA) - Leeds (LDS)
SVR - OFF-PEAK R TPE
00000 - ANY PERMITTED

1 Adult @£ 24.10 = £ 24.10
Restriction : 2L
Available as listed below
MONDAYS TO FRIDAYS - (By any
train on other days).

OUTWARD TRAVEL
All trains are barred which
are due to arrive in Leeds
before 0930

RETURN TRAVEL
By any train.

tony_mac

Established Member
It is marginally cheaper (30p!) to split at Piccadilly, although if you leave the aiport after 18:30 then you can save another £1.55.

There are also slightly cheaper but slower options if you want to stop at Stalybridge or Littleborough.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The difference in price between Manchester Stations to Leeds and Manchester Airport to Leeds is £6.70.

A CDS (Off Peak Day Single) between Manchester Airport and Manchester Ctlz[1] is £3.20 (just 10p less than an Off Peak Day Return!). An ECD (Evening Peak Return) is £1.65 after 18:00.

There is no Off Peak Return, the only period return is an Anytime (SOR) at £7.60, which is pointless in this case.

[1] Local fares in the Manchester area are issued to Manchester Ctlz rather than Manchester Stations.

Thanks for the info guys. I suspected splitting wouldn't help and I think for just over £4 extra, I'm better to get the more flexible ticket. I may look into going to Horsforth though as I could get to a friend who lives in Horsforth and be picked up from there instead of having to get a taxi from Leeds to Scarcroft as the people I'm staying with are out for the evening. If it costs no more to buy a ticket to Horsforth, it may be worth it anyway.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.