• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Blackpool services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
On a Saturday in June last year, I caught the 13.46 Man. Piccadilly to Blackpool service, it was operated by TPE, I remember it was 2x Cl.185s.

On Saturday (yesterday) I caught the exact same train (now 13.45) and it was operated by Northern Rail, 2x Cl.156s.

Has there been some re-allocation of who runs what on MAN - BPN?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
Northern run those services on behalf of TPE.

Not strictly true. They are TPE services with TPE crews, they use a unit hired from Northern. Northern do not run the services.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
On a Saturday in June last year, I caught the 13.46 Man. Piccadilly to Blackpool service, it was operated by TPE, I remember it was 2x Cl.185s.

On Saturday (yesterday) I caught the exact same train (now 13.45) and it was operated by Northern Rail, 2x Cl.156s.

the 156s coming from the cumbrian coast.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Yes, there is a huge thread about this: 156s to TransPennine Express
For a list of TPE services which are booked to be 156 see the frequently requested diagrams thread.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Does anyone know what diagrams the TPX 156s run on a saturday, I only have the M-F ones.

Ada, :D

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Although it's only a journey time of an hour and a half, I personally think it's really bad that the service has been downgraded from a 185 to a 156!

Camden

Established Member
Although it's only a journey time of an hour and a half, I personally think it's really bad that the service has been downgraded from a 185 to a 156!

Shows how limited decent DMU availability is right now.

dk1

Veteran Member
It should all correct itself in due course as the wires spread. Little pain for a lot of gain i would say. Never easy to accept a downgrade even if only temporary.

PR1Berske

Established Member
I took this service from Oxford Road on Sunday night. It was delayed by about 30 minutes and arrived with TPE logos blue-tak'd to the windows.

Camden

Established Member
It should all correct itself in due course as the wires spread. Little pain for a lot of gain i would say. Never easy to accept a downgrade even if only temporary.
Only partly, as this will only allow the lower end EMUs/DMUs to be cascaded. The same limited no of decent DMUs will be in high demand, and you're still looking at swapping a 185 for (eventually) a 319.

Mugby

Established Member
Before the transfer in of the 156s, what proportion of Blackpool services were doubled up 185s? I'm sure I remember criticism of 2x 185s on the route as being wasteful.
When I caught the 13.46 from MAN last year it was definitely two units.

Incidentally, I notice that this year an extra 4 minutes has been added to compensate for the 156s.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Before the transfer in of the 156s, what proportion of Blackpool services were doubled up 185s? I'm sure I remember criticism of 2x 185s on the route as being wasteful.

Incidentally, I notice that this year an extra 4 minutes has been added to compensate for the 156s.

I imagine that in the summer months the services to blackpool would get busy so at that time they may be a need to double up.
But at other times 2x 185s are used to create additonal capacity and save the need for 2 paths by spliting at Preston one would go to Blackpool while the other would go to Windermere/Barrow in Furness.

For example this one.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y01696/2015/05/29/advanced

Sam

thealexweb

There used to be a lot of doubled up Class 185 services prior to the December 2013 timetable change, but since then the numbers have down year on year. At a guess I would estimate the number of double Class 185 have dropped by about 90% since December 2013.

Last edited:

SprinterMan

Established Member
Does anyone know what the TPX 156s do on a Saturday or a Sunday?! In the thread I have nothing for Sunday and educated guesses for Saturday.

Mugby

Established Member
Does anyone know what the TPX 156s do on a Saturday or a Sunday?! In the thread I have nothing for Sunday and educated guesses for Saturday.

It was last Saturday when I travelled, hence my original question.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The 1201 Lancaster - Barrow (and possibly subsequent trips) is a 156 on weekdays.

samj

156463 operated the 1530 Man Airport-Blackpool yesterday. 2 car instead of 4, bet TPE weren't best pleased. 185123 worked the 0840 Blackpool-Man Airport this morning instead of 2 x 156 as well

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
156463 operated the 1530 Man Airport-Blackpool yesterday. 2 car instead of 4, bet TPE weren't best pleased. 185123 worked the 0840 Blackpool-Man Airport this morning instead of 2 x 156 as well

Northern ARE OBLIGED to provide the requisite number of 156s to TPE each day even at the expense of their own services. No ifs and buts. Possibly something may have failed so a short form could be understandable in such circumstances.

AndyW33

Well that might be the reason, or of course it might be to allow for temporary speed restrictions, diversions, and congestion on alternative routes caused by the Manchester - Blackpool electrification scheme.

Chrism20

Established Member
The 1529 from the Airport (1N65) today ran as a two car 156 to Preston where another two car 156 was attached and it then ran on to Blackpool.

Is this the norm as I thought they were to run as 4s?

There did appear to be delays to a lot of services at Preston this afternoon so not sure if that may be connected.

The 1212 from Edinburgh to the Airport terminated at Preston as well, I'm sure they said it was overhead issues. The northbound working of that back to Edinburgh started at Preston and appears to have been terminated at Carlisle due to a person being hit by a train.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.