• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Driver Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BrokenSam

Yes. Just that my application has gone through to be considered for shortlisting and not to expect to hear for two months or so.

Manda2194

I got the same. How is everything reading the email? I am trying to work out if its good news and if they are saying you passed the initial sift or if they are just saying its going to take more time.

Aivilo

Please bare in mind normally this is a very long process. Sadly people aren't in the office right now so that will get longer

Manda2194

Please bare in mind normally this is a very long process. Sadly people aren't in the office right now so that will get longer

A couple of months they said in the email as the course isn't due to start until autumn. Does that sound about right? Are a few HR people missing then?

Geeves

Established Member
There is a course starting 8th of June for drivers/depot drivers unsure if they combine both at the start for time saving so hopefully you'll all hear something soon.

Never had any good experiences with Northern HR in 12 years so I can certainly understand everyone's frustrations!

Good luck!

richfoz84

To give you all an idea, I applied in Sept 19, & heard nothing until a phone call in Jan 20 for an interview the following week. Assessment 2 weeks after that, and a medical 2 weeks after that. However due to a family holiday I couldn’t start end of March which was why they were rushing applicants thru, so I can start July onwards but I’m in a pool awaiting a suitable course. Everything went very quickly from that call to invite to an interview. My experience with TFW the year before.. everything was very slow and long waits between each part.
however Northern HR have been friendly & helpful and I’m looking forward to receiving that call with a start date!

Manda2194

To give you all an idea, I applied in Sept 19, & heard nothing until a phone call in Jan 20 for an interview the following week. Assessment 2 weeks after that, and a medical 2 weeks after that. However due to a family holiday I couldn’t start end of March which was why they were rushing applicants thru, so I can start July onwards but I’m in a pool awaiting a suitable course. Everything went very quickly from that call to invite to an interview. My experience with TFW the year before.. everything was very slow and long waits between each part.
however Northern HR have been friendly & helpful and I’m looking forward to receiving that call with a start date!

Thanks Rich. So realistically it is a 6-month process is what you are saying? How does northern compare to TFW by the way? I still have an application from them I am waiting to hear back from

Hope you get you start date soon!

richfoz84

Thanks Rich. So realistically it is a 6-month process is what you are saying? How does northern compare to TFW by the way? I still have an application from them I am waiting to hear back from

Hope you get you start date soon!

from my experience, both companies took a few months to invite me to interview.
TFW paid for my travel and accommodation for interview / assessment centre. Northern didn’t. However I can report all experiences with each company have been positive. I failed the group bourdon test first time around with TFW. And the situational judgement test. I only had to sit the failed tests with northern so I was able to concentrate on solely them in the run up to doing them.

I think 6-9 months is realistic from application to medical, however some have waited longer. Add another 6 months (minimum) if you fail the assessment first time around.

the talent pool is a different story and you could be in that a long time and never get your start date. I’m going for Manchester Piccadilly which is a busy station so hoping they’ll call me within the next 3-6 months.. however this pandemic might slow things down. But atleast I know a start date will be looming in hopefully the not too distant future.

Aivilo

If it takes six months that's good. Generally takes a lot longer. Go through just one or two threads in here you will see that.

Driving schools are currently off according to a friend

Red Devil

All trainees at my depot sent home due to Coronavirus, social distancing in the cab with an instructor being the problem. Likewise with 195,331 training being suspended for the same reason.
Any schools coming up will be subject to this criteria when they get an agreement. Doubt the June school will be going ahead. If it does numbers will be reduced.

Manda2194

All trainees at my depot sent home due to Coronavirus, social distancing in the cab with an instructor being the problem. Likewise with 195,331 training being suspended for the same reason.
Any schools coming up will be subject to this criteria when they get an agreement. Doubt the June school will be going ahead. If it does numbers will be reduced.

Ive read on a few other threads some TOCs are cracking on as usual and the instructors are happy to have the trainee in the cab. Is that not the case with northern

Red Devil

Ive read on a few other threads some TOCs are cracking on as usual and the instructors are happy to have the trainee in the cab. Is that not the case with northern
Well if that's the case then the advice regarding social distancing is being ignored.
As for Northern, I repeat what I said earlier, all training suspended for time being. Road learning as well.

ILoveLamp

So you managed to get through the sift despite worrying about the travel distance! How many minutes away were you, pretty much 45 did you say?

Manda2194

So you managed to get through the sift despite worrying about the travel distance! How many minutes away were you, pretty much 45 did you say?

hopefully it means I’ve passed the intial sift. Everyone seems to have the email so I’m not sure if it was a polite email to say don’t chase us for 2 months.

in non peak times it varies between 40-42 so very close! Just just hope they don’t put it in peak traffic!

Last edited:

Manda2194

It will be factored in a worst case scenario

see that concerns me a bit. Usually if i put it into google maps it’s between 38-42 minutes and there’s less traffic on the road at the moment too. I’m sure everyone knows m62 can be mental rush hour.

Tiz

During my interview with Northern they asked me how far away from the depot I lived

richfoz84

It was discussed on mine, which is 39 mins for me.. but remember you’ll unlikely be driving to work in rush hour.. you’ll be driving the trains during rush hour! But I guess the odd occasion for an accident etc can’t be helped

Aivilo

Start times are not taken into account. The ruling for travel is to do with the fatigue index and also a little to do with keeping you at said depot. Lots of research has gone into over the years and sadly it's not something alot of trainees consider. That 45 minute drive at 2am becomes a 1hr 15 when going home after a 9
1/2 shift. That will wear you down

Manda2194

It was discussed on mine, which is 39 mins for me.. but remember you’ll unlikely be driving to work in rush hour.. you’ll be driving the trains during rush hour! But I guess the odd occasion for an accident etc can’t be helped

Thanks Rich.Is that off peak distance for You. I’m pretty much the same so hopefully it’s okay. Did they seem concerned at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.