• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Driver Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manda2194

Start times are not taken into account. The ruling for travel is to do with the fatigue index and also a little to do with keeping you at said depot. Lots of research has gone into over the years and sadly it's not something alot of trainees consider. That 45 minute drive at 2am becomes a 1hr 15 when going home after a 9
1/2 shift. That will wear you down

that does make sense. I read recently that unions were looking to make the travel time part of the working hours like truck drivers.Is there any truth in that!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richfoz84

Thanks Rich.Is that off peak distance for You. I’m pretty much the same so hopefully it’s okay. Did they seem concerned at all?

Yeah off peak. However having to use the M56 to get there, I’d expect delayed regularly.
Yes they did discuss it a bit and said what would I do, to try and alleviate being late for work as I’m 39 mins away. I assume they were happy with my answer as im
Now in the talent pool. They were rightly concerned because if I’ve gone a full shift and finish at 2am, that drive home will be a tiring one, as someone else has said further up

Manda2194

Yeah off peak. However having to use the M56 to get there, I’d expect delayed regularly.
Yes they did discuss it a bit and said what would I do, to try and alleviate being late for work as I’m 39 mins away. I assume they were happy with my answer as im
Now in the talent pool. They were rightly concerned because if I’ve gone a full shift and finish at 2am, that drive home will be a tiring one, as someone else has said further up

thanks. At least it’s a question you can answer as opposed to a flat no. I didn’t know if they just put it straight into google maps.

what did you say out of interest?

richfoz84

thanks. At least it’s a question you can answer as opposed to a flat no. I didn’t know if they just put it straight into google maps.

what did you say out of interest?
They said we can see you aren’t exactly close to the station you’ve applied for. I said no I’ve Google mapped it at 39 mins. They said do I consider that distance a problem and what would I do to avoid being late and making my train depart late. I said I’d always give myself 60 mins to get to work rather than 45 and I’ll be very conscious of traffic reports and adjust my commute accordingly. They said what about the journey home when you’re tired, I said I would always ensure plenty of sleep and rest, and if I get tired I’d pull over for a coffee or a break to keep myself safe.
They were happy with that I assume!

Manda2194

They said we can see you aren’t exactly close to the station you’ve applied for. I said no I’ve Google mapped it at 39 mins. They said do I consider that distance a problem and what would I do to avoid being late and making my train depart late. I said I’d always give myself 60 mins to get to work rather than 45 and I’ll be very conscious of traffic reports and adjust my commute accordingly. They said what about the journey home when you’re tired, I said I would always ensure plenty of sleep and rest, and if I get tired I’d pull over for a coffee or a break to keep myself safe.
They were happy with that I assume!

You got the job so they must have been happy!

that makes me feel better. I thought It might be a blanket rule of if google maps say 45 minutes or over your out the process but at least they give you a chance to justify it and say how you cope.

Manda2194

Does anyone else get the impression the update could be something to do with Grand Central canceling the London-Blackpool route? Seems strange to get an update from the Manchester one saying its going to be a long wait and the Liverpool job getting pulled on the same day Grand Central announce that

SeanW90

I applied for this back in April. Got an email in May saying my application was put forward for shortlisting. I received another email last month saying my application is being screened. Last Friday I got one more email saying that it is taking longer than expected to review each application. I really hope I’ve passed the computerised sift this time as I was waiting over six months when I applied last year just to get a rejection email...

Manda2194

I applied for this back in April. Got an email in May saying my application was put forward for shortlisting. I received another email last month saying my application is being screened. Last Friday I got one more email saying that it is taking longer than expected to review each application. I really hope I’ve passed the computerised sift this time as I was waiting over six months when I applied last year just to get a rejection email...

I hadn't heard anything since May before today. I am wondering if they will be looking at qualified drivers from grand central Blackpool depot now instead of us trainees. Must be a lot cheaper and quicker to train.

Evolution

More than likely, considering some of the GC drivers left Northern for that ‘opportunity’ you could see them going back and from a company point of view they will slot back in easily.

Manda2194

Hi guys. I just thought I would revive this thread a bit as it looks like some people are hearing back on this role. I haven't heard anything personally so curious if anyone else has. I don't know whether to take it as a rejection

Mohka89

Looks like quite a few people have been invited to interview so I am expecting the rejection email

Well done anyway mate. Did you make it through the assessment center?
I didn’t get through sadly. However I’m going to keep trying and stay optimistic.
I hope you’ll get a positive email soon! All the best

Manda2194

I didn’t get through sadly. However I’m going to keep trying and stay optimistic.
I hope you’ll get a positive email soon! All the best
Same to you mate. I have been looking for 18 months now and still haven't seen any vacancies for Liverpool and the wigan depots so hopefully, they come up soon.

TheRailMan

Hi guys. I just thought I would revive this thread a bit as it looks like some people are hearing back on this role. I haven't heard anything personally so curious if anyone else has. I don't know whether to take it as a rejection
I’ve not heard anything still.. not sure how to take it? You think they would email the rejections out to put our minds at peace haha

Red Devil

Liverpool have a dozen plus trainees sat around waiting for instructors,maybe possibly more.
Wigan have a long list of qualifieds with moves in waiting for a vacancy. Be a while for a vacancy for trainees here I imagine

Manda2194

Liverpool have a dozen plus trainees sat around waiting for instructors,maybe possibly more.
Wigan have a long list of qualifieds with moves in waiting for a vacancy. Be a while for a vacancy for trainees here I imagine
Is there much space in Manchester to your knowledge. Realistically thats the only depot I am within 45 minutes of

Red Devil

Manchester is probably your best bet for a vacancy, though they have took a lot on of late,there's always a turnover of driver's through retirement, transfers and moves to other companies

Manda2194

Manchester is probably your best bet for a vacancy, though they have took a lot on of late,there's always a turnover of driver's through retirement, transfers and moves to other companies
Thats always made me wonder actually. How comes the turnover in the Manchester depots is so high. Since I have been looking for two years that's the only depot I've seen vacancies in within 45 minutes of where I live. Is it just because its a large depot or are staff not happy?

Ive read a few comments on here that Piccadily in particular is very efficient with trainees.

Efini92

Established Member
Thats always made me wonder actually. How comes the turnover in the Manchester depots is so high. Since I have been looking for two years that's the only depot I've seen vacancies in within 45 minutes of where I live. Is it just because its a large depot or are staff not happy?

Ive read a few comments on here that Piccadily in particular is very efficient with trainees.
Lots have been poached by TPE in the last few years. Also a lot get passed out at Vic/Picc then transfer to Wigan/Buxton.
Picaddilly are certainly more organised than Victoria when it comes to training.

SeanW90

Received yet another email today apologising for the length of time it has taken for an update although still no word of an interview. It’s been 7 months now. Understandable considering the pandemic and that Driver recruitment is slow at the best of times. Although I still have hope as others received rejection emails fairly quickly.

Manda2194

Lots have been poached by TPE in the last few years. Also a lot get passed out at Vic/Picc then transfer to Wigan/Buxton.
Picaddilly are certainly more organised than Victoria when it comes to training.
Thanks, good to know. Is it just a better route card at wigan and buxton then?
Received yet another email today apologising for the length of time it has taken for an update although still no word of an interview. It’s been 7 months now. Understandable considering the pandemic and that Driver recruitment is slow at the best of times. Although I still have hope as others received rejection emails fairly quickly.
Yes, same here. I was happy to get the email as at least we are still in the process. Others seem to have offers for a start date in feb so maybe they are reviewing some more applications for the next intake.

Northern certainly take their time compared to others!

Status
Not open for further replies.