• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Kents Bank, Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinA

I have booked on the 16.46 Manchester Piccadilly to Kents Bank train on Sunday 2 April. Looking at the time table this train runs straight through without changing but yesterday I thought I would check out this train to see what platform it runs from etc., and on the live departure boards it showed as going to Preston. Also when I booked the train I was unable to reserve a seat through from Manchester to Kents Bank so, as I wanted to make sure I had a seat, I booked the journey in two parts, Manchester - Preston for which I was able to reserve a seat and then from Preston to Kents Bank for which I could not reserve a seat.
Can anyone please confirm that this train does, in fact, run direct from Manchester Piccadilly to Kents Bank, and do all the carriages run through or are any disconnected at Preston. I am booked in Carriage C. I am a senior citizen with bad eye sight and will have luggage to carry as I am going on holiday so I like to plan my journey down to the last detail. Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It appears to be a 6-car train as far as Preston, the front 3 coaches continue to Barrow-in-Furness.

The rear 3 coaches are detached and head back to Manchester.

It will depart from Platform 14 at Manchester Piccadilly (having come from Manchester Airport originally)

LinA

Thanks for your help, I guess the $64 question is is Carriage C in the first part of the train, sounds like it should be, but I have been on too many train journeys to think it is that simple!

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Thanks for your help, I guess the $64 question is is Carriage C in the first part of the train, sounds like it should be, but I have been on too many train journeys to think it is that simple!

TOPS lists the 1646 from Manchester Picc as terminating at Preston on Sunday 2 April, where it connects with a 1747 service to Barrow, which calls at Kentsbank. In recent weeks the 1646 has run as a single 185 unit.

I'm not sure if you're aware but you can find a class 185 seating plan on this link below which should help you find your seat more easily.

https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/media/100425821/class185_fullseatingplan_a4_june2016.png

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
This is indeed booked to be the 1629 Manchester Airport to Blackpool North and Barrow in Furness. There are weekend engineering works meaning the lines to Blackpool are closed on the date in question.

Examining the schedules there doesnt appear to be a move booked for 3 cars to detach and go anywhere on arrival in Preston. If it wasn't for the engineering works it looks as though the front is the Blackpool portion and the rear is the Barrow portion. Whether the Airport to Preston is then operating as 3 cars (coach lettered as the Blackpool) and Preston to Barrow as the rear 3 (ie different coach letters) or just simply does not have any reservations I have no idea.

What I think we can be fairly confident of, however, is that there will be no change required, and from a passenger perspective this will appear to be a through train from Manchester Piccadilly to Kents Bank. (Phew)

BMIFlyer

The train operates as a single 185 currently.

It actually terminates at Preston at 1733 then restarts as a Barrow service about 15 mins later.

It is technically a through train however. Just shows as 2 separate services in the timetable currently whilst the engineering works are happening.

LinA

Thank you for all your replies. Well the main thing is it doesn't look as if I have to change at Preston, which was why I booked that train. By a single unit do you mean just one carriage?

daveo

Be aware that, unless things have changed recently, there will only be one door available at Kents Bank. The platform has a raised portion of not much more than 2 metres in length.

Status
Not open for further replies.