• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
56113 and 70811. Photos on my blog at https://nw-sparks.blogspot.co.uk/

Your very helpful blog lists future possessions, including a couple at/east of Manchester Victoria.
I should think the Victoria block it to connect up the wiring extension towards Miles Platting.
The 15-day block through Ashton Moss for "electrification" in April?
Can't imagine any wiring being done there yet.
More likely track/resignalling I should think.
The Wavertree-Weaver Jn blocks must mean at least VT diversions to Crewe via Warrington BQ.

I still haven't worked out if the current Lime St block actually achieves any resignalling (ie control from the ROC), or whether that happens over Christmas.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LDECRexile

Established Member
I've added my photos from 10:30-11:00 to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157648494725811

Unless someone expressly says otherwise (this can be blanket, it needn't be every time) I assume that people who put relevant images directly onto this forum or into associated sites do so in preference to pooling them in the Combined Volume. For me to do otherwise would risk breaching copyright, as well as good manners.

If you are prepared to pool material you can either:

1. send images to me as email attachments, or
2. attach them to this forum and give me the green light to reuse them
3. put them into a flickr album of your own and give me the green light to link to it
4. put them is some other album of your own and explore with me how to link to it

Please note that none of these approaches takes anything away from you at all, they give your material an extra, searchable, permanent, consistent platform with lots of hits.

Last edited:

nw-sparks

Your very helpful blog lists future possessions, including a couple at/east of Manchester Victoria.
I should think the Victoria block it to connect up the wiring extension towards Miles Platting.
The NR data describes it as "Phase 5 Electrification" and apologies for the typo, it says 16 days.

The Wavertree-Weaver Jn blocks must mean at least VT diversions to Crewe via Warrington BQ.

I still haven't worked out if the current Lime St block actually achieves any resignalling (ie control from the ROC), or whether that happens over Christmas.

It seems to be very difficult to find out what we're getting at Lime Street this time, but I've been told the box is not closing yet so control from Ashburys presumably isn't happening this time. I've seen the new controls in the box, so I know the temporary bi-directional working on the Up Slow will be controlled from Lime Street.

snowball

Established Member
Either that or it was booked before phase 5 was de-scoped down to Rochdale Road or wherever it turns out to be.

QueensCurve

Established Member
It seems to be very difficult to find out what we're getting at Lime Street this time, but I've been told the box is not closing yet so control from Ashburys presumably isn't happening this time. I've seen the new controls in the box, so I know the temporary bi-directional working on the Up Slow will be controlled from Lime Street.

Is there any proposal to preserve Liverpool Lime Juice Box? It is a good representative of the minature lever frame type and has fond memories for me since my late father arranged a visit for me about 1970 or 71 and I got to operate the leavers under the supervision of the signalman. It would never happen now.

8A Rail

Established Member
The NR data describes it as "Phase 5 Electrification" and apologies for the typo, it says 16 days.

As far as I am aware, the transfer to Ashburys Super Box, will not happen until the full Lime St - Weaver Junction resignalling takes place, which ultimately will eliminate all the boxes including Edge Hill, Allerton, Runcorn, and Halton Junction. However Ditton Signal Box will remain as unmanned but it will be the fibre optic connection to Ashburys. NR finds it cheaper doing that.

8A Rail

Established Member
Is there any proposal to preserve Liverpool Lime Juice Box? It is a good representative of the minature lever frame type and has fond memories for me since my late father arranged a visit for me about 1970 or 71 and I got to operate the leavers under the supervision of the signalman. It would never happen now.
It would be nice as a visitor attraction and getting safe access to it would not be a issue I think. Certainly the structure of the box will remain, that is for sure. I too been inside this box too and I found it fascinating.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I called at Huyton on my way to family stuff this morning. (Fun and Brownie Points!)

I approached the trackside footpath from the eastern end, expecting the rumble of heavy plant, orange galore and lots of buzz.

I was met with silence. Not a man, not a machine in sight or hearing. Fearing something dire I peered through the fencing to see glimpses of 4th track in place, obscured by untamped ballast. The more I toured and the more I looked the more I came to realise that the track is laid, in place, down and done.

I eventually saw a few Orangemen and a hand-pushed trolley.

I then went to Bridge Rd bridge at Roby to see a wire over the 4th track and three road-railers and crews working overhead.

I could see lots of orange in the distance at Roby Jct-to-be, no idea what they were up to.

Hats off to all concerned thus far.

Photos this evening.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I called at Roby on my way home in the afternoon.

Photos from both visits added to the Combined Volume here:

I assume Class 319s are reversing at St Helens Central, using the recently electrified trailing crossover with its steam age Dolly signal.

Can anyone please take and submit photos of this operation? Blink and it'll be gone.

LDECRexile

Established Member

DJH1971

Established Member

Freightmaster

Established Member
Could we be seeing trains using the fourth track next Monday, or would that be too soon?
Yes - in fact, trains to the St.Helens direction will have to use platform four from next Monday,
due to the remodelling of Huyton Junction.

MARK

8A Rail

Established Member
You missed out a vital word which is St Helens CENTRAL for platform four (up slow). Platform three (up fast) is to St Helens JUNCTION. However, trains on the up slow are able to access the up fast at the new revised Huyton Junction.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
That sounds like there will be no overtaking facilities for trains heading towards Wigan.
So if your future TPE Glasgow train gets stuck behind a Northern Wigan stopper at, say, Wavertree, it will just have to stay there until after Springs Branch.
Regulation of all the other routes will be possible at Huyton.
Have I got that right?

LDECRexile

Established Member
Phil Wieland and Paul Gaskell kindly sent photos yesterday when I was in Yorkshire on family business.

I've added Phil's shots of Huyton to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157650238941151

and Paul's shots of the crossover in use at St Helens Central to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157649792560381

Unfortunately, Paul also took moving film at St Helens which has proven too big for him to send me.

I've added their contributions to the Combined Volume here:

Thank you Paul, thank you Phil.

nw-sparks

That sounds like there will be no overtaking facilities for trains heading towards Wigan.
So if your future TPE Glasgow train gets stuck behind a Northern Wigan stopper at, say, Wavertree, it will just have to stay there until after Springs Branch.
Regulation of all the other routes will be possible at Huyton.
Have I got that right?

That is correct. The "normal" moves are:
Platform 1 (Down Fast) trains from Chat Moss.
Platform 2 (Down Slow) trains from St Helens (Central) or Chat Moss.
Platform 3 (Up Fast) trains to Chat Moss.
Platform 4 (Up Slow) trains to St Helens or Chat Moss.

There are also some "shunt" moves signalled. I think these will be:
Platform 2 to Up Chat Moss.
Up Chat Moss from ground position signal LL1577 to Platform 4.
Up Chat Moss from ground position signal LL1577 to Platform 2.
Down St Helens to Platform 4.
These allow the reversal of trains from all three routes back to where they came from.

nw-sparks

Has anyone got the signal number for the new signal just east of platform 4 at Roby? I'm guessing LL5584, but it'd be good to have it confirmed.

LDECRexile

Established Member

Loop & Link

Has anyone got the signal number for the new signal just east of platform 4 at Roby? I'm guessing LL5584, but it'd be good to have it confirmed.

It’s LL5582, but I see your diagram has been updated anyway to the correct info!

Also, trains can turnback in P2 and P4 now at Huyton, access possible to the Up Chat Moss from P3 and P4 via a 40mph crossover from P4. Hope this helps.

nw-sparks

It’s LL5582, but I see your diagram has been updated anyway to the correct info!

Also, trains can turnback in P2 and P4 now at Huyton, access possible to the Up Chat Moss from P3 and P4 via a 40mph crossover from P4. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that, I saw 5582 in the data feed yesterday afternoon so assumed that would be it, but it's good to have it confirmed.

nw-sparks

My diagram now showing all signals and routes at Roby Jn and Huyton Jn, and some kind of approximation at Lime Street. Corrections/updates would be welcome.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
In addition to a plenty of the infrastructure and a number of trains using it, I believe LDECRexile managed to take a photo of a Starmill yesterday :p :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.