• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester London Road to London Marylebone train service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daodao

Established Member
What was the last year that this service ran to a regular timetabled service and which were the intermediate stations served?

The daytime restaurant car expresses were withdrawn about 1960, but overnight services continued for some years (probably until 1966) while the WCML was being electrified, with both a seated service and a sleeping car service (the latter with no booked intermediate stops). I was only a child at that time, but I recall that my father used the sleeping car service from Marylebone after attending evening meetings in London.

Taunton

Established Member
I believe it was 1960. There was a Trains Illustrated article about the last day from an observer at Leicester Central. Locos were generally changed at Leicester. Nottingham and Sheffield (loco change at the latter to electrics) were served by all, elsewhere was a random pattern at places like Loughborough, Aylesbury or High Wycombe.

Replaced by semi-fasts Marylebone to Nottingham Victoria, just 3 a day, but the ex-GC section on to Sheffield had hardly anything apart from the daily Bournemouth-York.

Something tells me that it was reported as a very cold day, and the last day of service in 1960 might have been 31 December.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.