• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi,

Does anyone have the miles and chains mileage for the entire Manchester Metro link network? - Particularly looking for Didsbury / Rochdale / Ashton line to the city centre.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Hello. Best that I can determine is that Rochdale Town Centre to Victoria is c. 14 miles; East Didsbury to Trafford Bar is c. 4.4 miles (and then another 1.5 miles from Trafford Bar to Deansgate-Castlefield) and Ashton-under-Lyne to Piccadilly is c. 6 miles.

Overall mileage is now c. 65.5 miles.

Anyone got more accurate info than this?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Useful resource that. Distances are shown in kilometres, so I calculate Rochdale Town Centre to Victoria as 25.3 km (= 15.7 miles), East Didsbury to Deansgate - Castlefield as 10.0 km (= 6.2 miles) and Ashton under Lyne to Piccadilly as 10.1 km (= 6.3 miles).

HA25322

I believe that the distances are available on the BLS website. Not sure if you have to be a member to access the map but at only £12.00 a year it is well worth it.

dazzler

I believe that the distances are available on the BLS website. Not sure if you have to be a member to access the map but at only £12.00 a year it is well worth it.

Just to confirm that the track diagrams are only accessible to BLS members. The link to the diagrams doesn't show up when trying to access them as a guest.

Also to add that the membership is definitely worth it at £12.00/annum.

Please excuse me if I have overlooked the plain obvious but, where are the mileages (old or new)? Thanks.
Lines that were previously heavy rail have Metrolink and Heavy rail mileages. Not directly related to today's operation as a tram network, but a nice addition all the same.
I have to say, I do like the detail that's in your diagram - it's an excellent and very thorough diagram :)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Noted that the (2017) 3rd edition of TRACKatlas includes distances between stations in kilometres on the Manchester Metrolink network (info shown for all lines detailed except for (then) incomplete extension from Pomona to the Trafford Centre and the distance between Exchange Square and St. Peter's Square along the Second City Crossing).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Noted that the (2017) 3rd edition of TRACKatlas includes distances between stations in kilometres on the Manchester Metrolink network (info shown for all lines detailed except for (then) incomplete extension from Pomona to the Trafford Centre and the distance between Exchange Square and St. Peter's Square along the Second City Crossing).

The Second City Crossing is around half a mile. It was only completed in 2017 hence the guide may not include it. I was working on King Street at the time which goes off Cross Street along which it runs, for the information of non-North West-based forum members.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The Second City Crossing is around half a mile. It was only completed in 2017 hence the guide may not include it.

Handy to know that with all the other distances between Metrolink stations shown in TRACKatlas in kilometres (to the nearest 5 metres).

As I previously mentioned, the 2017 (3rd edition) of TRACKatlas does indeed show the Second City Crossing routeing, just not the exact distance between Exchange Square and St. Peter's Square. As the distance of the Second City Crossing (i.e. from Victoria to Exchange Square and then onward to St. Peter's Square) is actually more like 1.3 km (= 0.8 miles) and TRACKatlas shows the distance between Victoria and Exchange Square as 0.500 km, then the section from Exchange Square to St. Peter's Square must therefore be approximately a further 0.8 km.

Perhaps the missing information will be included in the future (together with info for the separate Pomona to Trafford Centre extension) should TRACKatlas ever get around to publishing a revised 4th edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.