• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Manchester) Metrolink season tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Hi all,

Having not used a Metrolink season ticket before, I'm wondering if some of our Manchester-based members would be able to help me with the following queries?

- Is travel strictly between the points listed on the ticket? For example, if my season ticket was Weaste - Victoria, would it also be valid Weaste - Picadilly or even MediaCity UK - Castlefield Deansgate? (basically starting/stopping short)?

- The price for that journey (randomish journey) comes out at £87 / 4 weeks; is that correct?

- any other advice that could help a complete Metrolink novice!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You are permitted to make any number of intermediate journeys within the validity of your season ticket, so yes, you can stop/start short etc.

A 4 weekly ticket from Weaste to the City Centre is £52; price checked on the Metrolink website.

You will need a Metrolink Travel Club ID (details on the Met website) to purchase your season, unless purchased through the mobile 'Get Me There' app.

TC60054

Unless I'm mistaken, the season ticket would be to City Zone rather than Victoria specifically, which includes both Victoria and Piccadilly, so would allow you to take your journey to Piccadilly.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It would indeed be to the City Zone - and what's more the Eccles line is all in one 'zone' - so it would be the same price to get it from Eccles. Any journey between any Eccles line station and any City Zone station would be permitted. Take note of the various engineering work currently affecting Metrolink though. You can order it online, buy it from the TVM (recommended to use the one at Eccles but it should be fine to use it to there anyway if you buy it from Weaste) or get it from a travelshop.

Last edited:

Rail Ranger

You can buy an all-zones Metrolink season ticket from Travelshops at bus stations: £30 for a week or £100 for 28 days. You don't need a Photocard if you are buying a weekly season ticket from a ticket machine.

Established Member
- Is travel strictly between the points listed on the ticket? For example, if my season ticket was Weaste - Victoria, would it also be valid Weaste - Picadilly or even MediaCity UK - Castlefield Deansgate? (basically starting/stopping short)?
Yep. No problem, Deansgate, Victoria and Piccadilly are all within the city zone. Any ticket issued from a city station prints with City Zone, not the station name.

- The price for that journey (randomish journey) comes out at £52 / 4 weeks; is that correct?
Thanks in advance!

£52 ....or the go-anywhere 1-month Metrolink season is £100 (ask at a bus station travelshop, they'll issue it).

Pricing for the £87 fare coves the whole Eccles line. Valid to Media City, or back to Eccles.

Last edited:

PermitToTravel

Established Member
The Travelshop will sort you out a photocard at the same time if you bring a passport photo, no need to fill out any Travel Club forms
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
fine to use it to there anyway if you buy it from Weaste)

Would the TVM at Weaste print Weaste on the ticket? Where does it say that use to Eccles is permitted?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Would the TVM at Weaste print Weaste on the ticket? Where does it say that use to Eccles is permitted?

It doesn't, it would say Weaste to City Zone.

In exactly the same way that if you are at Bury and buy a season to Manchester Airport it will say Bury to Manchester Airport. You can use it anywhere though.

It's for this reason that I recommend purchase from a Travelshop. I'm sure 185 would accept a Weaste - City Zone season for travel to Eccles?

PermitToTravel

Established Member
I wouldn't want to show a Bury to Airport ticket at Edge Lane. I would imagine that the Travelshop would write the furthest station with the same price though. The staff at Piccadilly and Shudehill Travelshops, at least, I've always found to be excellent

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I'm pretty sure if you buy the max price one the Travelshop will give you something that says 'All Metrolink stops' on it.

Established Member
It's for this reason that I recommend purchase from a Travelshop. I'm sure 185 would accept a Weaste - City Zone season for travel to Eccles?

We see loads of them, it's not a problem as fares are banded and zonal. Whole Eccles line is Zone H.

CC 72100

Established Member
Thanks for the responses so far; will have a proper read through tomorrow morning. :)

So key points:

- May as well get a season ticket Eccles - Manchester Vic; it's the same price, will allow me travel in all of the city zone, and also travel towards Eccles if ever I wish.

- May as well do it in the travel shop in Picadilly (where abouts is this?) as opposed to posting off forms etc.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.