• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink T68's Phased out

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatcherZero

Established Member
just out of curiosity, did tramways in the old days have a standard voltage? Metrolink is 750 v dc, I find, but what do they use at Crich? And did all tramway systems use the same voltage? There's trams from Blackpool, Leeds, London, Chesterfield, all over the place, aren't there. I know that some systems used different gauges, but were they technically all compatible?

Lower, 550v (former Blackpool) 600v is quite common across the continent and in the past on older systems or occasionally modern systems which will never travel at higher speeds. 750v with some exceptions is the modern standard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
T68s are high platform vehicles and would be completely unsuitable for operating at Crich

Yes they would need to be changed significantly to be suitable for Crich. The Berlin accessible tram was modified to be wheelchair accessible. However, a preserved Supertram when they eventually get replaced would fit in better.

Incidentally, relating to Crich when I went there they didn't let the public alight at the top, where the trams turned round, but they were looking in to making it a tram stop. Have they done this?

Waldgrun

Yes they would need to be changed significantly to be suitable for Crich. The Berlin accessible tram was modified to be wheelchair accessible. However, a preserved Supertram when they eventually get replaced would fit in better.

Incidentally, relating to Crich when I went there they didn't let the public alight at the top, where the trams turned round, but they were looking in to making it a tram stop. Have they done this?

I believe that the thought of visitors falling victim to open mine workings was the main reason why, one is not allowed to alight at the Glory Mines terminus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.