Manchester Metrolink - Trafford Centre Extension

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by Gathursty, 14 Oct 2018.

1. 507 001

507 001 Established Member

They’re starting at Cornbrook. Even if they were starting at Pomona they can’t turn back there.

2. splashoutradio

splashoutradio Member

TFGM have now released timetable data via their open data feeds.
    Obviously, with the current health situation, changes are a possibility, but the full "planned" timetable (starting 22 March) is shown in table 4, here: http://www.railwaydata.co.uk/timetables/MetMar20/

Hopefully this will be of some use :)

3. telstarbox

telstarbox Established Member

Now showing in Google Maps

Attached Files:

4. daodao

daodao Member

A most unfortunate time to be opening a new service to the Trafford Centre - I wonder whether the launch will be cancelled.

The anchor store in the Trafford Centre (Selfridges) closed down only yesterday and Intu (who own and run the Trafford Centre) are in financial difficulties; the Coronavirus pandemic is likely to push them over the edge. Nearby entertainment facilities and the Imperial War Museum North have now closed for the foreseeable future.

This new tram line could become a white elephant.

5. telstarbox

telstarbox Established Member

There are still plenty of people working in Trafford Park as far as I know. It's not all about the shops

6. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

White elephant is usually a term applied to something that never has any use.

The TC line *will* be fantastically popular once Covid 19 dies down.

7. splashoutradio

splashoutradio Member

From Metrolink & TfGM's responses on Twitter, it looks like they're proposing to open the line as planned, but there'll be no ribbon cutting ceremony.

8. Jozhua

Jozhua Member

Honestly, been as there are distribution centres, etc, this could be a great time to open the Trafford Centre line.

Take some people out of the bus services and not necessarily have to worry about trams being out of action.

It would also allow for them to iron out some of the kinks if there are any.

24 minute headways to start could be useful for the odd passenger to begin with, increasing to 12 in a proper ribbon cutting ceremony in a year or so once this has cleared up.

9. Ianno87

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...news/trafford-park-tram-line-opening-17951741

Quite unsurprisingly, whether or not the line opens tomorrow is under review.

10. Denco3

Denco3 Member

11. MarkyT

MarkyT Established Member

Difficult for passengers to remember departure minutes for a particular hour though, and 12 minutes extra wait if you get it wrong. Better to degrade to 2tph with an irregular interval, say 24 and 36 mins, adding up to an 60 minutes though, so departure minutes remain the same every hour.

12. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

I do wonder what percentage of industrial companies near to the line of this new line are likely to remain open during this Coronavirus outbreak which will have non-driving staff who rely on public transport to come and go to work.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2020
  13. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

So what is the outcome? Opening or postponement?

14. Ianno87

It will be opening:

https://twitter.com/MCRMetrolink/status/1241384103892717569?s=20

Though given the current situation I'd ask anybody reading this not to rush off and ride it for the sake of gricing. There'll be plenty of time for that once this has all died down.

15. Gathursty

Gathursty Established Member

1) I'm not too fussed about joining at Pomona or Cornbrook but I get the point that a true end-to-end journey would begin at Cornbrook.
    2) In light of Coronavirus, I'll ditch the desire to be passenger number one. It's not appropriate and I don't really need to make an excursion to the Krispy Kreme Cafe given my provisions at home.

Best of British!

16. Jamesrob637

Jamesrob637 Established Member

Don't reveal the time of the first tram and nobody will be there in anticipation

Then again that might drive a crowd out at midday knowing that services will have started by then!

17. Chester1

Chester1 Established Member

There was a limited amount of online coverage of the opening. The first tram ran at 6:31am on Sunday, quite possibly with no passengers! Lowest key opening of any transport link! I can see why they went ahead though, if they can manage to run a Sunday service across the network it will maintain social distancing on all public transport in the area.